• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How can this Pep' help with anxiety....Guru's needed!

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
Gurus needed on this one!

This peptide is meant to help with anxiety. There is no firm evidence that is does so I found the structure of it and thought some of the Gurus on here may have an idea to how it could help anxiety?

Ksa.... I take it you have a fair bit of time spare!

I found this on PubMed....

[h=3]Abstract[/h]A synthetic derivative of the endogenous peptide tuftsin heptapeptide selank (Thr-Lys-Pro-Arg-Pro-Gly-Pro) possesses an anxiolytic and psychostimulant effect, and represents a working element of a new peptide drug having completed the third phase of the clinical testing as a selective anxiolytic. The neurobiochemical spectrum of selank action combines mechanisms which are characteristics of antidepressants and psychostimulants: activation of the brain monoaminergic systems, dopamine synthesis and turnover, and modulation of the tyrosine hydroxylase activity. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of selank in a new model of inherited (genetically-based) symptoms of depression in behavior of inbred WAG/Rij rats in comparison with its effect on situation-provoked symptoms of depression in behavior of BALB/c mice. Outbred Wistar rats constituted control group. Selank in high doses (1000-2000 microg/kg), after repeated injection counteracted symptoms of depression in behavior of WAG/Rij rats (increased immobilization in the forced swimming test and decreased sucrose intake or preference (anhedonia)). Selank in low doses (100 and 300 microg/kg) after single injection reduced the duration of immobility of BALB/c mice in the forced swimming test, but did not exert significant effect after repeated injection or after injection in high doses (600 and 900 microg/kg). Selank did not affect the level of general locomotor activity and anxiety in WAG/Rij rats, and did not exert substantial effect on the behavior of control Wistar rats. The results demonstrate the presence of antidepressant component in the spectrum of neuropsychotrophyc activity of selank and indicate the higher reliability of a new experimental model of depression (the WAG/Rij rats) as compared to the standard forced swimming test for the determination of antidepressant activity of a pharmacological drug.