• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How can I potentiate / complement D-phenylalanine?

High_Anglican

Greenlighter
I have chronic pain, and my job, which requires me to be on my feet for 9 hours a day isn't helping much. I take D-phenylalanine (which blocks the enzymes that degrade endorphins) but that only helps up to a point (it has to be taken on an empty stomach, and it doesn't actually make you produce more endorphins, it only prevents the degrading of endorphins already in the system.

I'm trying to stay away from opiods (risk of addiction), NSAIDS (stomach bleeding), Acetaminophen (liver/kidney damage). I've tried kratom and it worked very well, but it made my heart race (resting heart rate 160 bpm).

I'm looking for a safe supplement (preferably herbal supplement or amino acid) that could potentiate or at least compliment the D-phenylalanine.

I've heard that St. John's Wort can promote the increased production of endorphins (thus potentiating the DPA) and also help with depression (killing two birds with one stone, since I also have depression).

Okay guys, please give me some ideas.

D-PA has rather poor pharmacokinetics, it may have affinity for enkephalinase or whatever in a petri dish, but because oral consumption leads to very low blood concentrations and it's excreted quite rapidly, I was under the impression that its effect is effectively similar to placebo.

You do realize that if you inhibit the breakdown of endorphins severely enough you will effectively produce effects similar to "normal" opioids, including addiction and dependence?

Speaking as someone who has had to deal with chronic burn wounds, NSAIDs are almost certainly the better solution than playing with opioids. Take some naproxen or other NSAIDs with food and you should be fine with regards to stomach problems. Stomach bleeds on NSAIDs require massive overdoses - stomach upset is much more common but usually is only a problem on empty stomachs.