• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How Can I Live New

BlazeJesus

Greenlighter
Not sure where to post this thread, sorry for that. My girlfriend and I are seriously sick of working at a grocery store in Michigan and wasting our life away. Life has gotten really monotonous and boring and I need a big change in my life, I can feel it.

My dream lately has been to live somewhere west, on an organic farm. I have no idea how to go about making this change and I'm just reaching out to see if others have advice.

That's a tough dream to make happen. I moved out to the PNW from Michigan for the same reasons about 40 years ago. I'd rather live out here than anywhere else in the US.

The west coast is getting really overpopulated and all the big money is coming here, because it's one of the last places where people can live decently and in an environment that isn't being totally trashed. Unfortunately this has made it expensive.

Living and working on an organic farm is not hard to accomplish... there are lots hiring. Just be aware they will pay you a pittance and it will be backbreaking work. I speak from personal experience.

I studied Organic Horticulture and apprenticed on a organic farm. I quickly became convinced to go into another field.

The west coast is getting really overpopulated and all the big money is coming here, because it's one of the last places where people can live decently and in an environment that isn't being totally trashed. Unfortunately this has made it expensive.

Living and working on an organic farm is not hard to accomplish... there are lots hiring. Just be aware they will pay you a pittance and it will be backbreaking work. I speak from personal experience.

I've been looking into homesteading and off the grid living lately too. Everything is expensive, everything takes multiple people to make something happen, I think those are the main issues. Feel like I could accomplish a lot more with people on board with me

What do you do now? Just curious

I've been retired for many years but I ended but doing several things that allowed me to be my own boss at times and to make enough to retire in my mid fifties.

I was a Martial Arts instructor, a Dog Trainer and a supplement buyer for a large Co-op.

I went ahead and moved your thread to Second Opinion, which I hope is a more appropriate place for it. If there are any objections, let me know.

A couple of friends of mine just finished working on an organic farm and then an organic ranch in Hawaii for room and board only. Look up woofing.

I have looked into this before i found a places in South America that are communal living on organic farms. You can apply but it looked like most of the people were college age kids from America. Of course you have to deal with all the immigration requirements as well. The farms around me either give you room and board or pay $10-12 an hour for what is pretty strenuous work.

One of my colleagues bought a farm a few years ago after starting her own business in 2010. She did not go expensive though. She moved to Puerto Rico.