• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How Can Drug Awareness Be Spread?

M

MAPScomment

Move to --> Second Opinion

It seems like now, drug awareness really only has a few avenues. Maybe focus forums, focus clubs, etc.

But you dont really have things like the merry pranksters, movie ads, news lectures and interviews, etc.

And i mean, im not talking about knowing a cochella or electric forest ticket might have some tabs. Or a frat party has pills. Or a college dorm has a bong rip.

I'm talking about the real information. So to get to my question; how can drug awareness spread?

It's illegality is keeping it underground, so to speak. It probably won't happen on a large scale unless the substance in question becomes legal.

I think that whenever possible we need to speak about drugs in all the situations where this is most uncomfortable. For me this means at the elementary school teachers lounge where we share breaks and casual conversation. It means with friends of mine that stigmatize the use of some drugs while glorifying others. It means among other parents (most important group IME). But for you, depending on your age and circumstances it may be very different. Any time I talk about drugs, I have one rule for myself: I refuse to separate alcohol by saying drugs and alcohol.

I also think it is important for us older people to speak out more than the young because we have may less to lose. (You never see an older established person getting busted for pot where I live but you still see plenty of minors getting railroaded into the criminal injustice system.) We are also in a better position to talk to a demographic that might be more conservative in certain areas of our lives (like employment) because we have presumably already established our reputations there so we are less likely to be damaged in any real way by our views even when people disagree.