• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How can different chemicals of same category have different tolerance schemes?

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
Like two drugs targeting the same receptor being only partially cross tolerant. This seems to happen with most or all major drug classes like opioids, dissociatives, stims (the last with a question mark).

Easiest answer would be different receptor subtypes and/or brain regions but guess this isn't the full explanation.

For example DXM follows a pretty different tolerance curve than DCK and while DCK remain active even after long periods of use, its cousin 2F-DCK became almost inactive now. Other dissos weren't around for long enough to compare them but I felt more from less DMXE than from a bigger amount of 2F. Also there is the thing of opioid rotation and that Kratom is only partially cross tolerant, the first cup of red vein (one decent tablespoon) floored me when I was tolerant to 120mg daily of morphine.

Is this the body becoming more efficient in metabolising certain molecules or what?

SSRIs, on the other hand, seem to have complete cross tolerance with obvious exceptions like vortioxetine or venlafaxine.