• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol How can anyone get addicted to alcohol?

johnloperamide

Bluelighter
I'm not try to be rude or insult anybody since I consider myself addicted to opiates but I've always wondered how can anyone get addicted to alcohol. What I mean is, why would someone put themselves through so many hangovers to get to the point where you are actually physically addicted to it, which takes a long time

For the first 2, 3 months of this year I drank a lot, I started drinking whiskey and coke and liked it a lot and would drink with my friend on average 4-5 times a week, but eventually I got tired of feeling like fucking shit every single morning and quit drinking all together... We did several 8-7 day binges, and would stop for a day or 2.. Prior to this I had gotten drunk thousands of times but it was once in a while. I was really drinking a lot these months, drinking till I passed out every day. Even after all these months of drinking so much I still never became addicted at all, never had any WD so it must take a long ass time of that nastiness to become dependent. I also noticed that after the first time I threw up I could never drink hard again, it's like it poisoned me for life... This has happened to be over 6 years ago with Tequila too, and still to this day I smell it and get nauseous, same with Vodka and now Whiskey is close to that as well...

Alcohol is literally poison to your body and I always fucking hated it, but it was just fun. I know a guy who has been drinking for 5 years and has seizures when he tries to stop, I mean how can anyone get to that point? I can't understand it. Maybe I'm just lucky that alcohol makes me nauseous so easily so I can't really enjoy it, because for example my drinking buddy never had these problems, after a while he could drink more and more but still stopped, cause he got tired of hangovers.. I mean how are those nasty hangovers worth the shitty high...

I fucking hate alcohol, I made the mistake of drinking 5 beers last night while in very mild opiate WD and it turned it up like a mother fucker, had one of the worst nights of my life... this has spiked my hatred of alcohol to new levels, I hadn't had any alcohol in 3 months and I doubt I will again after last night's hell

I can see what your saying about the hangover but many alcoholics drink right when they get up and that isn't really a problem.

Some people are self medicating for anxiety and what not. I personally couldnt use everyday but I did have my moments when I used for a week stright.

Everyone is different, also alcohol is highly available. It's legal and most corner stores have some sort of alcohol. If benzos/opiates were legal addiction rate would sky rocket

Last edited:
i thought the same thing until i got hooked on opiates then tried quitting. after the acute withdrawals were over, id drink loads for the anxiety, get a hangover and crack open a beer in the morning. you dont get hangovers if you drink all the time, and this is where a lot of people get hooked.

i thought the same thing until i got hooked on opiates then tried quitting. after the acute withdrawals were over, id drink loads for the anxiety, get a hangover and crack open a beer in the morning. you dont get hangovers if you drink all the time, and this is where a lot of people get hooked.

So drinking like right before hangover or when they are starting kills them off? like getting rid of WD's by dosing again??... How the hell can anyone drink during a hangover though, just the thought of alcohol would make me vomit... or does it have to be only BEFORE the hangover?

I just read on wikipedia that it is true. That sounds horrible, I guess now I at least understand how people get addicted. I don't like knowing this though cause it might cause me to try to cure a future hangover by drinking a bit, thankfully I can't stomach alcohol anymore and plus I hate it

Last edited:
Also lots of people don't drink that much daily that they get such bad hangovers.
Like a six pack or the equivalent in the evening.

Other people are probably wondering how someone could get addicted to opiates when they only became nauseaus and puked or scratched their skin off on a codeine turn.
While I am also addicted to opis I never understood why people like to nod. I hate it and like the energizing and productive aspect of opioids.

Everyone is different sums it up I guess.

Never understood it either, the hangover of alcohol is horrid and the last thing one could do is drink more during the comedown.

Ever heard of "some hair of the dog that bit you"? That saying pretty much was coined by alcoholics.

When I was an alcoholic I would get drunk every second night , u actually do get used to the hangovers

Just like any other addiction... It just snowballs and your tolerance goes up. Your question is like asking a heroin addict how the hell they could get addicted to heroin because the first time made them really sick. And like it's already been alluded to, you don't get hungover if you're already/still drunk.

Well they have an attitute where they dont give a fuck anymore and just get drunk... Maybe they get agressive, maybe they get abusive or maybe they just sleep.

the problem is they cant stop drinking when they start and dont have a cut off limit.

i dont get how u become addicted to opiates? You just lay there in your own filth... see how that doesnt make sence?

I was cross addicted to opiates and alcohol. I would drink a beer in the morning to steady my hand to do a shot. Yeah its horrible waking up feeling sick, but I woke up feeling worse from the opiates.

If you have become dependent on alcohol, and the addiction is strong it is almost not a choice anymore. I would just have a drink in my hand. It became second nature and I would crave the taste of beer, or wine, or whiskey if I didnt have any. Its almost like an unquenchable thirst. After a while, the hangover is not as bad as the withdrawal from the alcohol.

I was an amorous drunk. I could spit game like no other when I'd had a few.

around 2 yrs ago i was drinking heavy every single night 8+ beers
then it hit a low point where i would start drinking before lunch time thats when i knew i had a serious problem
said fuck this and went into detox for 7 days wasnt a bad deal watch movies, take a shit ton of valium and vitamins lol
it was like a mini vacation from all the stress and bs i deal with day in and day out
iwas sober for around 2 weeks after i got out then
my mother had a stroke and i got deeply depressed and i went back into drinking about 6 months ago now im not as bad as before maybe 2 to 3 beers nightly now

drinking does take its toll on your body
the dehydration, the lack of vitamins, the hangovers, the smell as you sweat out the alcohol but as they say you get use to it
and everyone is diff i never became a rage drunk or emotional i was just happy drunk as many people would tell me
many wouldnt even know i was drunk until i said so ha most often i was throw on a few good movies and drink my ass to sleep
i do work in the IT field and i got into designing custom circuit boards and i did some of my best work while hammered haha

i fucked up bad by googling one day yes i know on what to expect from going cold turkey and the web is filled with nothing but horror stories aboutWD and all kinds of shit
guess i scared myself shitless to even attempt to stop drinking
ive been told by many docs and people with exp and all have told me my 2 or 3 beers isnt enough to feel any major WD but i do get nasty anxiety once i go 24+ hrs after my last drink
which in turn leads me to crack open a beer and maybe its placebo but my anxiety melts away after i drink
see the vicious cycle ?

i wanna go back to detox an give it another go soon but its easier said than done like the first time i did it

Last edited:
^yeah man do it.

I detoxed at home, but I was shooting morphine and taking xanax like crazy. I got the shakes really bad the second day, but with the morphine and xanax it wasn't really that bad.

The worst part for me was that long after I stopped drinking (over a year ago) I still sometimes get the taste in my mouth and crave a drink. I really miss the flavor of beer and pinot noir the most. I have realized that I can't even have one because I will want more and more uncontrollably.

Trust me, quit drinking. That anxiety goes away quickly. Talk to people about it, they can help you with their experiences and what they did.

^yeah man do it.

I detoxed at home, but I was shooting morphine and taking xanax like crazy. I got the shakes really bad the second day, but with the morphine and xanax it wasn't really that bad.

The worst part for me was that long after I stopped drinking (over a year ago) I still sometimes get the taste in my mouth and crave a drink. I really miss the flavor of beer and pinot noir the most. I have realized that I can't even have one because I will want more and more uncontrollably.

Trust me, quit drinking. That anxiety goes away quickly. Talk to people about it, they can help you with their experiences and what they did.

well i like drinking believe it or not but i hate the idea of drinking every single night
but as scared as i am to quit i do like it i dont drink to get hammered anymore i drink to wind down and its not like im out there being an asshole or doing stupid shit
i somehow tapered down from those 8+ beers hell sometimes it would be a 12 pack down to those 2 or 3 beers a night which i can say i def felt the reduction
i mainly feel it in my sleep pattern i started to get horrid insomnia and very vivid dreams and wake up with anxiety attacks
for the year and a half drinking heavy i never dreamed about anything or maybe i did but maybe to shit faced to remember anything

well as of right now i dont have anyone to talk to i guess i dont have the luxury of being able to talk to someone to let off steam like many people do with good friends etc so i just ..as cliche as it sounds i drink my emotions away

but yeah just the thing is here i have to qualify for the state funded detox program so it takes about 2 weeks to get in as it's a in patient detox center need time to find a bed etc
im not rich nor in poverty but if i didnt go to a state funded program i dont have 12k to go into many detox centers here

i dont get how u become addicted to opiates? You just lay there in your own filth... see how that doesnt make sence?

I don't get the lying there in your filth either, if that even happens, if it does I bet it is with H... I've never touched that and never will, in fact I'm done with opiates... I assume you meant as in lying there days without taking care of yourself with everything around you a complete mess

And idk if you have ever done any opiates, but they make you feel extremely good, so lying there all day just sounds like the perfect day haha

This is a little silly to say. People get addicted to things because they have trained their brain to know that substance: X will make them feel better/ make them not sick/ make them better around people. until eventually it makes them just be able to live a normal life. Without it their is no joy that chemical is now necessary to feel happy about anything. And for alcoholics their is no hangover if they stay drunk. just like a junkie stays fine is he has his dope. You can get addicted to literally anything based on how your brain processes it.

^ @ deos68

so start the process now. Then in 2 weeks you'll be on the road to feeling much healthier

If you don't you will look back in 2 weeks and think "damn I could've been going now"

I mean, the two weeks is going to pass regardless. You can either stay stuck where you are by the end of that time or be on your way to a better way

See what I mean? Don't let the "it'll be 2 weeks" put you off

^ so start the process now. Then in 2 weeks you'll be on the road to feeling much healthier

If you don't you will look back in 2 weeks and think "damn I could've been going now"

I mean, the two weeks is going to pass regardless. You can either stay stuck where you are by the end of that time or be on your way to a better way

See what I mean? Don't let the "it'll be 2 weeks" put you off

think i should try it at home in all reality at the detox center they just gave me nothing but diazepam and vitamins which i have also
i got about 90x 10mg diazepam and a bunch of vitamins
long as i have someone to monitor me through out the day think i should be ok if not i will def go sign up
thanks for the advice

think i should try it at home in all reality at the detox center they just gave me nothing but diazepam and vitamins which i have also
i got about 90x 10mg diazepam and a bunch of vitamins
long as i have someone to monitor me through out the day think i should be ok if not i will def go sign up
thanks for the advice

Why don't you just taper off if you are only drinking 2-3 beers, I mean obviously you have the self-control if you are not drinking to get wasted anymore... Why don't you drink like 2 and 2/3 of a beer for a week or so and then keep reducing the amount till you are off?

i am able to control it now "just one more" isnt an issue anymore
prob do that drop down to 1 and a half beers this week ill see if i can tolerate the anxiety
if not i got plenty of benzos on hand if needed
i dont shake or anything out of the ordinary just insane anxiety