• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How Bad is Mold on Poppy Pods

I've never had any trouble making tea from pods with mold, I tend to leave out the ones totally black on the inside as well as out though I'm not sure if that's necessary

I've never heard of ergot in poppy pods, but I suppose it could be possible. I have never heard of a case of this happening though with poppy pods.

zrawdog - Your liver and kidneys should be fine. Opiates are pretty much non-toxic, he may have been referring to mold otherwise I don't think he knows what he is talking about. I've never heard of poppy pod toxicity. If it exists, I am fucked lol.

NOT WORTH IT! I have been making tea for years and have gottn very sick from molds. Take your loss and move on cause some mold can and will kill you.

There are some kinds of "black yeast" that grow on and in the pods. One in particular is called hypo-pichia burtonii (cladosporium chodati) is the former name for it. this yeast produce 16 different toxins that can effect the body negatively (liver and kidneys). If you add sugar, acid and boil the mash for a couple of minuets you can see the yeast foam up.

^^^ how can you tell if it's growing? what does it look like? and how can you tell the pods where the seeds get stuck to the side apart from dark kinds of mold?

being new to PPT, having tried it first time 24 hours ago, am thinking shit, I need to learn chemistry and microbiology. the only symptom was a slight stomach ache but it faded as the tea began working. Mold? now wondering if its worth consuming

There is an alkaloid in pods that causes nausea called thebaine, I have heard that some strains of the poppy have higher levels of it than others.

Its far more likely that the morphine or consumption of such a vile concoction caused nausea than the TINY amount of thebaine or somehow getting a pod with a higher thebaine content. Certain pods are grown to have a higher thebaine content but they are commissioned by pharmaceutical companies to have that for ease in producing drugs like oxyxocodone, hydrocodone, buprenorphine, etc.

I find exponentially less likely that someone stumbled across one of these instead of just got nauseous from the morphine, nausea being perhaps the most common side effect of opiates in the opiate naive (and many others when tolerance is exceeded).

Never had trouble but am nervous now

My usual dose is 3 of the giganthemums, but every once in a while I've gotten a pod with the thick blackness inside and a bit of a pungent smell, I had just assumed that that's what large amounts of dried lady-O smelled like. The first time I used one like that I got the best high ever: lasted 3 times as long, put me in the clouds. Ever since I've regarded those as like the special prize you get in a box of cereal, it looks (and feels after using) like caked, dried lady-O to me.

I've never seen anything stringy, but I'm wondering now if that smell was actually just a little bit of mold. I always boil the powder, and have never gotten sick, but now I'm nervous. The problem with all of this is that it's completely unregulated, so we really don't know what we're getting. I'd hate to have to give up PPT because this stuff is my prozac.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but although boiling kills the mold and will prevent more from growing, it won't destroy the poison.

We toss moldy pods if they've got the stringy-looking stuff and smells funny, but if it's that coffee grounds looking stuff and smells normal then it's probably unreleased seeds. Your tea will taste dirtier with black pods, but they aren't dangerous like moldy ones are.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but although boiling kills the mold and will prevent more from growing, it won't destroy the poison.

That's exactly my worry. I'm trying to think back to all the times I've used those black on the inside pods and how I may have been taking in a big dose of poison. It didn't make me feel sick but what if it was taking a toll on my liver? I was looking forward to my tea this evening but now all I can think is that I don't know what I'm actually taking. Sigh, I think I'll just go off of it for now, I've been meaning to take a break anyway. :(

Per your description I don't think the black ones I've used were mold, I would have noticed white stringy stuff in them. The tea did always taste a little stronger with those pods but it didn't taste bad to me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat it if they didn't smell off. There is a noticable smell if it's genuine mold. Even if a new moldy ones slipped by, I doubt you've done too much damage. In the height of my addiction I had an abnormal liver enzymes result (3x normal), but I was dosing like 10 nearly fist sized pods daily with a rewash each time. Even if you are using that much, I think my situation was a bit unusual.

I actually just had a blood test and they didn't mention anything unusual. I think you're probably right on it not being anything to worry about. The alcohol I drink is probably doing much more damage to my liver than anything I accidentally took with the poppy pods.

Did your liver tests go back to normal eventually? Was the PPT the cause?

Did your liver tests go back to normal eventually? Was the PPT the cause?

Yep, I quit and waited till my test results started improving, then went back (at lower doses) and my enzymes stayed within or close to normal range. Not quite sure if the PPT was the cause; at this point I think it's likely that it was a contributing cause but not the sole reason.

Damn, i wish i happened upon this thread YESTERDAY. My friend just broke down a box of 3Lbs./deseeded etc. and came up with at least 10 (pretty small) pods that were all black inside. Does anyone know what the chance of encountering a pod with some legit O that drained inwardly instead of outwardly? Is that potentially what the pods that are black are? The ones my buddy had DID feel a bit denser than the others so i wondered if that might be the case, but in the end was just a little too sketched out to crunch up the black ones and consume them. From the looks of everyone else's experience i think i'll just say fuckit next time and give them a go. Heh, maybe i'll end up bitching out though considering that i just ate 50g and puked twice pretty hard haha.

How about the flowers that are sometimes inside pods? In my last shipment of plum-sized pods i ended up with 6 pods that had not just seeds, but what appeared to be a whole, shriveled flower that was growing in the pod, attached to the stem. Anyone know what the deal with these is? I put them to the side because they were kind of cool and unique, now i'm wondering if if they've potentially got any goodies in them, or if they're just...inert plant matter. Two of them seem to have a slight waxy feel to them, almost like buttered popcorn.

Do you think a 2.5 day break from pods is long enough to be beneficial at all (would it count as a 'break'), or would it have to be longer since pods stay in your system for a long time?

Last edited:
Damn, i wish i happened upon this thread YESTERDAY. My friend just broke down a box of 3Lbs./deseeded etc. and came up with at least 10 (pretty small) pods that were all black inside. Does anyone know what the chance of encountering a pod with some legit O that drained inwardly instead of outwardly? Is that potentially what the pods that are black are? The ones my buddy had DID feel a bit denser than the others so i wondered if that might be the case, but in the end was just a little too sketched out to crunch up the black ones and consume them. From the looks of everyone else's experience i think i'll just say fuckit next time and give them a go. Heh, maybe i'll end up bitching out though considering that i just ate 50g and puked twice pretty hard haha.

How about the flowers that are sometimes inside pods? In my last shipment of plum-sized pods i ended up with 6 pods that had not just seeds, but what appeared to be a whole, shriveled flower that was growing in the pod, attached to the stem. Anyone know what the deal with these is? I put them to the side because they were kind of cool and unique, now i'm wondering if if they've potentially got any goodies in them, or if they're just...inert plant matter. Two of them seem to have a slight waxy feel to them, almost like buttered popcorn.

Do you think a 2.5 day break from pods is long enough to be beneficial at all (would it count as a 'break'), or would it have to be longer since pods stay in your system for a long time?

I've had nothing but good times using the pods with black inside, but after reading this thread I'm all paranoid so I've just been setting those aside. When I crack them open there's a small puff of sorta pungent air but it just smells like super concentrated pod smell. After the initial puff the black pods smell no different than the other ones. I've inspected the things for any white, stringy, or fluffy stuff and there doesn't appear to be any, so I'm guessing (note that I'm only guessing) that they're probably safe, but I still set them aside out of paranoia. Unless a chemist actually tells me these things are A-OK for snacking I'm going to err on the side of caution.

As for taking a break, it's always a good thing, it reduces the dependence and increases the efficacy. I take no more than three pods a day, and I force myself to take a few days break per week so that the addiction doesn't get too bad (and so the efficacy of what I do take stays strong). For me a good rule is alternating 3 and 4 days off per week (so basically half on half off). I still get addicted but I can get by on just half a pod a day on maintenance days (to avoid the mild withdrawal effects). If I had a reason to get off the stuff I figure it would take me about 3 weeks to taper off completely. A year back when I was on a solid 3 pod a day dose for six months with no breaks it took me about 6 weeks to taper off completely. On my current dose the withdrawal effects have been much milder, so I know taking breaks does help.

Of course if you don't have any real need I'd say take PPT no more than once a week to avoid addiction altogether. I use it so often because of an anxiety disorder that prescription drugs just can't lick.

Liver stuff

Oh just one thing I wanted to mention, I just got a liver test back and I'm perfectly healthy. So 3 pods/day and the occasional maybemoldy pod has apparently not been destructive to my liver or kidneys. This may be a little off topic but the thread kinda swayed that way a few posts back and I just wanted to add this little tidbit of info.