• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How bad is it to smoke cigarettes if you have psychosis?

nancy145

Bluelighter
Is there a link between nicotine and psychosis? I'd assume there would be, considering it's a stimulant, but I don't know for sure. If there is, how significant is it? Can you compare it to a few other drugs, including caffeine and adderall? thanks

Ther is a link b/w nicotine and psychosis! But it may be counterintuitive -~90% of shizophrenics are smokers - and one theory is that it is because of it's nootropic benefit. Meaning, the nicotine is cognitively-enhancing - which is, in a way, what psychotics desperately need.

Nicotine usually should not be correlated with causing psychosis, simply because it's effects are not mediated largely by the D2-Dopamine system - which is implicated as a theory in schizophrenia.

Last edited:
^This
I've never heard of nicotine inducing/worsening psychosis, but nicotine will fasten the metabolism of certain neuroleptics

I honestly think if anything cigarettes would help with psychosis lol. atl east with the anxiety parts

I've had occasional episodes of some type of psychosis. Since I've been smoking/vaping, the episodes have happened much less frequently. Next time I feel it coming on, I'll try to vape for a bit and see if it helps/prevents it from happening.

As for the effects... I don't personally find it particularly "stimulating", even though that's what it is. It's more just relaxing and stuff. When I first started smoking I described it to my friend (who got me into it) as an "introspective drug".

A shit ton of bi-polar people smoke as well. I'm bipolar stick to generic nicotine gum though. I think the nicotine helps me relax and focus especially if its the only drug around I at least got something.

I dont know how old some of the posters are on this board but I'm 43 years old and when I was young everybody smoked.I see no link between smoking cigarettes and psychosis at one point in society almost every person smoked cigarettes.

If that was the case everybody would be psychotic there may be some underlying issues with people because I know when I had anxiety a cigarette always helped, but I never became psychotic.

Nicotine by itself has been shown to alleviate many kinds of mental illness, including schizophrenia. Smoking tobacco is at least not as helpful in a mental sense, and we know that it destroys the body.

Caffeine is pretty safe in reasonable amounts (up to about 300mg-500mg per day).

Adderall will probably worsen your condition, even in the presence of an anti-psychotic. For a while stimulant intoxication was the main method of simulating psychosis. Stay away from it for at least a few years after stabilizing.

Adderall will probably worsen your condition, even in the presence of an anti-psychotic. For a while stimulant intoxication was the main method of simulating psychosis. Stay away from it for at least a few years after stabilizing.
I was just asking about adderall for comparison. I used to take it daily but quit when i found out i was psychotic