• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

how bad is it to be addicted to weed?

livinginahaze

Bluelighter
swim usually gets high about an hour after he wakes up and basically stays high all day unless he works in which case he shows up really stoned cause his managers dont give a shit but he sobers up before his shift ends. on days he doesnt work he'll keep smoking more all day to keep his high going and usually ends up smoking a lot more than he really needs to just for the hell of it cause he has no life. swim knows that you cant OD on weed and while its probably not doing his lungs a ton of good he doesnt believe it causes cancer and compared to other drugs really isnt very bad for you. swims biggest concern is that hes killing all his braincells but even this side effect could be exaggerated he thinks. hes heard even alcohol kills more brain cells than pot but he doesnt know if that is true. if swim was using any other drug as often as hes smoking weed he'd have a very serious drug problem. but because its just weed hes really not very concerned about it most of the time. having said that swim is aware that hes addicted. when swim runs out of bud he buys more ASAP and if for some reason he cant get any that day he becomes very anxious, angry, and/or depressed. sometimes he almost has panic attacks and sleeping is a bitch when hes out. swim spends about a hundred dollars a week on weed, sometimes almost 200. recently swims brother went to rehab(he was using a lot of painkillers and amphetamines but sure he smoked weed too). swim is not addicted to any hard drugs like his brother, he is only addicted to weed. swims been thinking a lot about addictions/rehab/sobriety recently cause of his brother and hes realized that hes not in control of his own life anymore because of his pot use. but he also realizes that its not gonna kill him even though he revolves his life around smoking it and spends all his money on it. so swim wants to know what you think. does he have a drug problem? he knows weed isnt chemically addictive but he honestly doesnt have the will power to quit right now. should he maybe even consider rehab just for marijuana or is that kinda ridiculous? swim isnt one to judge anyone, he really doesnt know anymore. his father was a stoner so he was taught not to view weed as a real drug. is weed really different or no? hes gotten high off other drugs before but none of them are a problem for him, hes only addicted to weed

I used to swim a lot.

Then I got over the whole "community center pool" thing. Just like the wavepool at King's Dominion, man-- more sweat than water. It's not cool having a slimecoat every time you get out of the damn water.

That's the kind of thing that's going to vary from person to person, and something you'd have to experiment with to decide whether or not it's the "right" course of action.

What I'm really thinking, though, is how I can't wait for Spring so I can go for a swim. I'm pretty fed up with this whole Winter thing.... :|

But seriously, though, if weed's fucking with your head then stop smoking and see whether or not the head-fuckery ceases. If you don't want to do that? Don't. That's cool, too, it won't kill you or anything.

so do you think one would be happier in general if he stopped smoking it completely?
if you like to get high, why stop completely?

smoke on holidays, weekends.... its hard not to be a habitual user of cannabis. its more fun to be an occasional user.

Sometimes 200 hundred a week....??? WHAT THE HELL. Ok, I suggest you take atleast a month off and see how good life can be without weed and also how much money you save. Once you see that life is good without, you can hold on to that but also keep smoking. But cut back. As in, A LOT. Like Only 3 times a week or so. You are the first person I've seen that actually seems to be legit addicted.

You can do it man. Peace.

Weed doesn't kill braincells, it can protect them. All you need to do to stop is cut down a bit more gradually, then you wont have any problems, just halve what you smoke each day. It's not like being addicted to hard drugs or alcohol. It sounds like you at least need a tolerance break, so just cut down & then stop for a few weeks, you wont need as much when you start again & you can save a bit of money. Rehab for weed is a bit ridiculous, it's easy to cut down & stop even from a huge weed habit, it's just if you go from smoking multiple grams a day for months to nothing straight away then you can feel a bit shit, plan it a little better with a fast taper & it's no problem. Take control of your use & stop weed controlling your life. Find something else to do, some kind of hobby or something, maybe even learn to grow some plants.

I stopped smoking when I got my vaporizer, I'm getting higher than ever on less than half the amount of weed & feeling a lot healthier for it. Maybe stop smoking for a bit & invest your saved money in a good vaporizer, or a hydroponics kit or something like that. $200 a week could buy you some cool stuff if you saved it for a couple of weeks instead of burning it all.

Last edited:
Personally when I smoked heavily, without it I would become somewhat depressed and ornery. But I soon found out that semi regular use has made me overall a much happier person

lungs are a terrible thing to ruin.

Smoked like the OP but was able to toke up at noon time while at work. After doing this for one summer I stopped and found it took at least four months for my lungs to clear up and stop the smoker's cough. I'd try vaporizing but that's too much of a commitment so for now I'm clean. Plan to try edibles if I'm ever able to get some locally. Lately I'm working on getting in shape and having sex, both are lots of work and take a lot of effort to get the job done. Must be age.

cs

Weed addiction while nowhere near as bad as addiction to hard drugs is bad just like any addiction. I was addicted to weed when I was 15 and during that time I didn't care about important shit, lacked ambition and was a very boring/dull person and had high anxiety especially social anxiety. I would overthink everything and felt like I didn't matter. So I think being addicted to weed holds you back and wastes a lot of time and money and can put you in a bad mindstate. I think the biggest problem with weed addiction is that most cannabis addicts deny being addicted or think its harmless. When I quit I saw how much it damaged me and felt so much better. There was no major withdrawal aside from extreme cravings, moderate irritability and insomnia. I smoke weed on occasion only while drunk/opiated because if I smoke sober I get panic attacks and its much better every now and then. It clears my head and gives me insight when used occasionally.

if you like to get high, why stop completely?

smoke on holidays, weekends.... its hard not to be a habitual user of cannabis. its more fun to be an occasional user.

yeah i dont think i have to stop completely if i can learn to control myself more, its just i cant easily moderate how much i smoke once i buy some and i cant usually resist buying it for very long once its all gone. but your right, i remember back when i was an occasional user it was a lot more fun. tolerance sucks lol

Smoke enough for a long enough time and you should get bored of it, seems to happen to most people eventually in my experience. If you're high all the time, doesn't that become your baseline and being sober a 'high' of sorts that breaks the usual? While we are talking about one of the safest drugs out there, it can still sort of damage your life in some ways. If you're stuck in an anti-social weed habit for years, your social skills for example might suffer a lot compared to your peers and getting a 'life' might be harder if you one day wish you had one. It's good that you have a job and can socialize there at least. This kind of lack of development can happen with lots of other stuff too like video games of course. For me being addicted to cannabis sucks, because then I can't sleep without it anymore. It might sound simple, but it's a real game breaker. I'm scared of traveling anywhere where I don't have guaranteed access to weed for example, because I'm terrified of insomnia and not being able to sleep usually ruins most ordinary things for me.

I would recommend moderation too, what worked for me the best was making a rule like no smoking before 8pm on any given day, except the occasional wake'n'bake sunday. Sure I was a bit anxious waiting for the moment, but I knew that it was coming soon enough and that was enough for me.

There is absolutely no credible evidence whatsoever that THC or any other chemical in weed causes brain cell loss. You're not addicted to weed, you're just bored.

I used to get high everyday in my Freshman- 1/2 of my jr year. I've worked since I was in 8th so I had to money to do it. And I would just buy eighties instead of getting sacks so i guess that saved me some money. After 2 years I got bored of the being high daily, now as a Senior I only smoke some weekends/holidays and the highs are just so much better than smoking daily and staying high because it just gets to repetitive and old.

Been smoking maybe $250 a week (Perth is rather expensive) for the last 4-5 months, but I never smoke if I have to go to work/see family/drive/see friends. Was recently made redundant (three weeks ago) and have stopped smoking for the time being. The way I see it, provided that smoking isn't getting in the way of work, friends, family or any other responsibilities, you aren't doing anything wrong. I personally hate smoking while unemployed, makes me feel like a bum.

IME weed isn't hard to kick either, I went cold turkey 2 weeks ago and although I do want a bowl every now and again, it's not a horrible feeling, I just distract myself. I do keep a small stash in case I get really anxious or angry, but I've never dipped into it for fun.

Maybe try easing up a bit, stop smoking on work days and save most of your weed for bed time (big issue for me as well) and maybe try a week or two off. It lends a bit of perspective and makes it easier to assess your usage and situation, and you're probably more likely to make a smart choice while sober.

Other than that, don't sweat it too much man, if you're really worried, maybe consider having a chat to a doctor for a sleep aid alternative, or have a close friend or family member keep an eye on how much you're smoking and get them to let you know when they think you're going overboard. ?

This is quite relative as addiction is quite relative. There are people I know that can't go a day without weed. There are people I know that can't sleep without weed.

I can do anything without weed as I have regulated my use but I crave it just to unwind these days. I been smoking regularly since the end of 2011. I'm quite well off with it but when I used to heavily do it my appetite, sleep and mood was affected significantly in absence of the drug. Just don't heavily do it everyday as it is totally pointless. If one must do it everyday then 1 hit in the night is all that is necessary IMO. Nothing should be affected this way besides sleep possibly in the absence. HOWEVER if you have responsibilities during the week then more than likely you'll find it easy to rest at night if your work or school is physically or mentally taxing.

Since I had started mixing weed with something else, and really got a taste for it, just weed alone is just not as appealing if you know what I mean.
It must be weed with something in it..
I can't really start talking about these things cuz It gives me the craves

Me personally, I'm really stupid and anxious when I smoke during the day and have shit to do after. I just keep a small stash for the night time, I smoke usually every night. I've only ever noticed that my sleeping habits have been affected (harder to fall asleep and stay asleep if I don't smoke). It's somewhat difficult to really get 'hooked' on it IME. If you had to stop it probably wouldn't be too difficult, from what I've read withdrawal is nowhere near as bad as other drugs.

most people that think they are addicted to weed are actually addicted to tobacco.
if you smoke neat weed or just vaporise it then you dont cluck for weed.
a couple of days smoking joints with baccy in and you think your addicted again.
imo.