• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment How are rehabs doing during Covid?

blockbusterparty

Bluelighter
I have been told by virtually every healthcare provider that insurance companies are cutting back on benefits/making it harder, though certainly not impossible, to get approved for this gas they approved just last year.

I live in the U.S. by the way, and am on healthcare through my parents.

I was wondering if anyone knew how this had impacted residential/IP rehabs? Are they having to keep people there even shorter times? Are there more patients trying to get in? Super curious….thank you…

If you fancy being patronised rigid by bored staff and in general treated like a prisoner while receiving daily lectures on how you'll never really 'get better'...

You might possibly find some info on the NIDA website.

Well if this provides any indication... In my NC health system I've tried setting an appointment for addiction services to get Suboxone or help with alcoholism and their phone was basically off the hook aka went straight to voicemail for 3 whole weeks. I left several messages. They never called me back. There are no other in network options.

I assume they are completely full and not even taking new patients. I just gave up.

I can't afford any other options as it would be out of network and cost thousands.

I think inpatients are just as full but it probably depends on where you live or how much you can pay.

Last edited:
If you fancy being patronised rigid by bored staff and in general treated like a prisoner while receiving daily lectures on how you'll never really 'get better'...
I did laugh at that because it's often true.
But it's not always like that.

I've been through 7 inpatient rehabs and 6 outpatient rehabs. For decades I really had no desire to change and never fully bought in to the recovery thing.

However, I met a LOT of great counselors and techs along the way. Not to mention many fascinating clients. I can honestly say that I benefited from the experience overall.

Yeah, I have some idea what substance abuse rehab IP is like. For one thing, over twenty (!) years ago, I did a couple of IP and residential eating disorder programs, which are basically the same thing. Even though I was extremely sick at the time, after about two weeks, insurance no need me to “day”, which was about 10-12 hours a day. This was totally fine but in retrospect it meant my father had to pay for a hotel for us to stay at nearby in the first case, and in the second, I guess my parents had to pay for me to stay at the facility but as a day patient? It don’t know how the financial end worked. And that was over twenty years ago they did seem to keep people on “day” basically the same as zip, for a rather long time thigh. But this has already changed from how it was at one time.

I also have gotten the sense there’s been a lot of urgency in accessing mental health resources in general so it doesn’t surprise me that substance abuse resource use would go up too. Wonder how many people are clamoring to get into residential.

all my staff in rehab were amazing. though some of the therapists were better than others. i would say @blockbusterparty i've also been in IP and residential ED programs, and though in the residential their approach was relatively similar to rehab, drug rehab was far less medicalised. which makes sense i guess cos there was much more going on with me medically at that time. but like the rooms were v similar to hospital rooms, and the whole thing still felt like a hospital really. whereas my rehab was converted from a farmhouse, so it felt much more homely.

as i've only been to one rehab,i can't say this holds for rehabs in general. but i hope it does cos personally i found the rehab environment much more calming and conducive to healing.

re covid, i know in the UK people were relapsing all over the place, so pressure on services, and thus waiting lists, have been through the roof.

re covid, i know in the UK people were relapsing all over the place, so pressure on services, and thus waiting lists, have been through the roof.
Yep it's the same here in Australia, huge waiting periods for a bed to be available for short detoxes and longer term rehabs. There's not a whole heap they can do though, really. Everyone relapsed and needed help at the same time 🤷‍♀️

I was once supposed to go to rehab and was sent to have a look at the facility. When I saw the "inmates" and the staff I turned around and called my therapist to tell him I would not enter rehab. So many of those guys looked completely fucked up and scary to me, that cannot be good for my mental wellbeing. My addiction back then ended in complete collapse, amphetamine psychosis and horrible benzo withdrawal but I managed to never be hospitalized or checked into rehab.

I have been told by virtually every healthcare provider that insurance companies are cutting back on benefits/making it harder, though certainly not impossible, to get approved for this gas they approved just last year.

I live in the U.S. by the way, and am on healthcare through my parents.

I was wondering if anyone knew how this had impacted residential/IP rehabs? Are they having to keep people there even shorter times? Are there more patients trying to get in? Super curious….thank you…
I live in the US and spent a week in a psych ward last August/September. Had no trouble getting a bed. Due to covid, every patient was tested at intake but on the inside masks were optional. I know IP rehab isn't a psych hospital but I'm sure there are some overlaps in how they are run and function.

Be prepared though that even with insurance, the bill can still be pretty hefty. I'm on a payment plan and they let me pay $20 a month so I'll be paying that for awhile but at least it's something I can afford.