• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How and why does zopiclone cause dysgeusia?

Changa707

Bluelighter
Hello folks, I have quite a bit of experienced with the strange substance known as zopiclone...which I neither like nor dislike, can't quite figure it out.

Anyhow, the substance just has a god-awful taste as many of you know...yet IMO it is more effective at treating insomnia than most traditional benzodiazepines...not to mention the buzz can be quite enjoyable, and yes I admit that I don't always take sleeping pills to fall asleep.

So, from a pharmacological perspective I understand that zopiclone tends to cause dysgeusia...is it something to do with taste receptors being inhibited? If this is the case, theoretically could this effect be reversed by some other substance?

Also, did the developers of zopiclone intentionally design zopiclone to cause dysgeusia...as a means to prevent abuse and use in criminal activities?

Can you be more specific about what tastes are altered and how?

The only other substance I've heard of that alters taste specifically comes from these berries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

Do those effects sound similar to what you experience on zopiclone? Does the dysgeusia occur if the zopiclone doesn't make contact with your tongue?

I've tried miracle berries (Synsepalum dulcifirum) and the effect is very interesting. Regarding the original post, I'm positive that zopiclone was not intended to alter the sense of taste. Abuse deterrents are almost always designed to be inert when the medication is used properly. Apparently a metallic taste is a common side effect of zopiclone. The drug may be secreted in saliva. Some chemotherapeutics have similar side effects; some patients have tried miracle berries as a treatment, although I have no idea if they actually work.

Last edited:
There is a new form the drug (at least in my country it is new) that does not cause the same taste, I would have to find the name though I am sorry as I can not remember it off by heart, I am being switched over by my doctor this week