• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How accurate is this chart that has an effects by ug range for LSD?

Wow. Do you remember who conducted the study?

I'm having trouble finding it, but it's something that's been mentioned here and there over the years; pretty sure I saw the paper, I have seen more recent studies saying that the therapeutic efficacy of mid-dose and high-dose LSD is not very different, but that is different … the original study would have to be one of the Golden Age ones which of course were light on proper scientific controls, I'm not too sure, I'll dig … but this was definitely in a lab context, not in terms of drugs sold informally for recreational use, which is probably going to be a different story. I've definitely seen more than a few accidents happen with liquid where people presumed they were getting a regular dose but wound up getting puddled without expecting it and did trip out as expected, so it's this won't apply in normal market situations.

Interesting, my question is: does the fact that microgrammage routinely gets exaggerated when LSD is advertised lead to stronger trips than if that hadn't been the case, or does it "cancel out" because most people don't have a proper frame of reference anyway? :D

I think that essentially nobody knows what dose their taking unless they or truly trusted friends have quantitatively analyzed it and laid it themselves, which is quite a small minority; so basically it's all a mess of different placebo factors. It probably does "cancel out" to some extent. I don't believe anybody can guess at how many "mics" they're taking, subjectively, beyond "shitty/weak/average/strong," and even, given set-and-setting factors, that can be a bit of a stretch at times (sometimes under exceptional circumstances people can really suppress tripping or really go all out on a small dose.) A lot of people will just say they took x number of hits, and that's that, more annoying are the "trip reports" which claim microgram dosages in cases where the individual almost certainly doesn't know, of course number-of-hits is useless even because branded prints that see major distribution aren't always all laid together by the tens of thousands or more like major commercial "E" pills, and being paper, some of which even winds up being sold openly (which is one reason to be somewhat suspicious of fancier looking perforated blotters, as they are easily bought blank online and laid with nasty other chemicals, most of the really good LSD I've had was on unperforated blotters, either printed or blank, or in vials; of course, anything can go in there, too, but the point is, fancy art and perfs shouldn't be a selling point) knockoffs are even easier than printed pills; LSD distribution isn't as vertically integrated as it once was, so now more often typical commercial runs will be of a few grams (a few hundred sheets), and this is pretty big, more often you'll see people doing this stuff at a slightly lower level, typically on unperforated white paper, although some of this may have changed with the advent of bigtime Internet drug sales, which I'm not familiar with.

quite a useless list for anyone who's not well-versed in taking mushrooms. plus, i don't think the trips from shrooms vs LSD are all that similar.

i think a better way to gauge LSD's strength is like someone already mentioned: evaluate every new batch of LSD separately, by taking 1/2 hit of each to start.

after a couple weeks, you can up your dose to 1 or 2 hits, etc. until you are comfortable with that batch enough to increase your dose more if desired. with good batches, you may not feel the need to increase past 2 hits :)
with good L like that, you can definitely tell the difference between 1 hit and 2

I'd add that by reading the OP quoted text again I'm pretty sure the individual in question has no quantitative idea at all about what he's taking, anyway.

Yeah I guess that it does cancel out because indeed the minority gets their stuff checked (like for free here in the netherlands), so most people are just not calibrated to that, but there is possibly some overall consistency even if it's off. Getting it tested does lead to consistent results: it's always a bit less / it always sounds a bit low. I guess even having the amazing benefit of being able to get it tested doesn't let me escape the "consensus".

Last edited:
numerical doses aren't really subjectively distinguishable past ~250µg when you're tripping pretty hard though, other than maybe an order of magnitude; that's part of the reason we do better with things like the Shulgin scale (and it's so short because of the exponential nature of the effects), which is not to say I think the scale, or probably any other, is without it's own issues

known, tested dose → reliable experience makes sense enough;
repeated experiences with known doses → able to guesstimate dose (except for very roughly e.g. something like 50/100/250/500-700/1000) does not; and
repeated experiences without known doses and talking about numerical doses → talking a bunch of bullshit

also titrating "over a couple of weeks" to give a reasonable idea of the drugs potency, won't, as both physiological and especially psychological tolerance will make this not replicable unless with the same situations

regardless, that information is of little use to persons other than oneself, anyway, other than "very weak dose," "weak dose," "strong dose," "absurdly strong dose."

obiter—thinking about it I'd actually like to see a rule against numbers in Trip Report threads if not actually quantified, i.e. especially for LSD, less with weighed chemicals and other known entities; that's actually something I think is worthy of raising with the relevant moderators

Last edited:
Eh, its pretty subjective and this chart seems somewhat sensationalist. Charts like these are problematic because its so hard to actually know the dose amount on your acid. IME, either I'm incredibly naturally resistant to LSD, or my doses are always way under what they're advertised, even from very reputable sources. Generally, get similar reports back from friends.

Tolerance is huge with LSD. This past summer I did what was supposedly ~2500ug (10tabs), albeit dosing the third day in a row, and it didn't do all that much. The first day on ~375ug (1.5 tabs) was a stronger trip, but I would not categorize it as "most people would never take this much unless they knew the acid they have in their possesion and really wanted to get pretty far out there.", and I find it hard to believe just a bit more would have been "pretty much where even some of the most experienced people draw the line. Your vision is almost completely enveloped by fractal patterns, and if you were to stare at some pavement or something, it looks like you can see to the end of eternity. Miles and miles of visual depth." , I wish it were like that though lol.