• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How about heating by a radiator to eat it raw?

contradictionary

Greenlighter
Would it work? I've read it needs to be heated before ingestion, and 180-200 is the ideal temperature. So could you for purposes of discretion just hold it up against, say, the radiator in a public lavatory, without having to stand there for half an hour or leaving a recognisable smell, and then it eat it? Would you necessarily have to wait until you could see a vapour, or would it be hot enough before then? How long do you think it would take to heat up the amount you'd put in a small joint, and how much would you need to eat of it if a small joint's worth is enough for you when smoked?

Last edited:
Cannabis needs to be kept at elevated temperatures for a prolonged time (at least 1/2 hr possibly more @ temps higher than about 40-60C) before decarboxylation can take place. Decarboxylation does happen at room temp too but it takes a few weeks of curing first. So no, holding weed up to a radiator isn't going to make it edible, in fact it's going to make the washroom you're in smell like a dispensary.

Do you have any sources for these claims sekio? From what I understand it happens as the bud is drying & the whole thing about cooking cannabis before eating is a myth.

So do you have sources for your claims, DGT?

it sounds like you're saying that cooking wont decarb? I've never heard that before.

No, I'm saying if your weed is dry then it's decarbed & eating raw cannabis works just fine, as long as it's dried & cured. Dissolving it in oil or alcohol helps, cooking it isn't needed.

It might work in theory but if I wanted to heat something I'm going to eat I would use something else than a radiator in a public lavatory.

Dissolving it in oil or alcohol helps, cooking it isn't needed.

*DINGDINGDINGDING*

Greenthumb for the mother fucking win.

Cannabis can be eaten in nearly any form, it's the bioavailability of any given ROA that people need be concerned with. Raw cannabis leaves are extremely likely to make their way through your entire digestive system without being completely digested or absorbed into your body. Binding the psychoactives found in cannabis to a fatty substance like oil or butter increases the drugs' bioavailability by allowing your body to more easily and completely digest the substance in a shorter period of time than if you were to eat it in it's raw form.

I'll be honest, I feel like I still don't understand decarboxylation. I know the principle-- heat the weed, something happens that makes carboxyl atoms disappear in the form of carbon dioxide from the plant's carbon chains, and somehow your bud becomes more potent. Not saying it doesn't work because it totally seems to, just that I don't understand it well and, from what I've seen, most people around here have a similar interpretation and don't understand it well enough to say anything other than "Decarb it, bro, just heat it up."

Ugh...Not this argument again

It might work in theory but if I wanted to heat something I'm going to eat I would use something else than a radiator in a public lavatory.
This.

Also cook with oil ffs.

if the question is "will eating uncooked weed get you high" and it seems to be a consensus of sorts that weed will decarb in the curing process, then i suppose it is a matter of how much bioavialable thc and other CBDs there is to gram of weed. then you would be able to consider a dose based on ones tolerance and also figure if it is worth stomaching a bunch of nugs for the high you will get. This is all assuming the weed has been properly cured and has had the time and conditions to decarb.

i'm not smart enough to answer the question, or at least not determined enough. it would be interesting to know the answer. Jibult?? lol

Eating uncooked weed will definitely get some psychoactives (THC, CBx and any others I might not know about) into your bloodstream. Fuck if I know any numerical values for this, though.

I'm good with theory and principles. Throw any math at me higher than Algebra 2-level circa 2000 and there's a good chance you'll stump the shit out of me, lol.

The main issue is that before decarboxylation there isn't a lot of THC in buds. Just its precursor THCA. It converts very easily to THC though, all you need is heat. Yes room temp is enough if you wait long enough, but that's much longer than it takes to just dry it.

The main issue is that before decarboxylation there isn't a lot of THC in buds. Just its precursor THCA. It converts very easily to THC though, all you need is heat. Yes room temp is enough if you wait long enough, but that's much longer than it takes to just dry it.

So that's the gist of it, huh? Thanks, but now I gotta look up THCA and see what that stuff's all about.

Would it work? I've read it needs to be heated before ingestion, and 180-200 is the ideal temperature. So could you for purposes of discretion just hold it up against, say, the radiator in a public lavatory, without having to stand there for half an hour or leaving a recognisable smell, and then it eat it? Would you necessarily have to wait until you could see a vapour, or would it be hot enough before then? How long do you think it would take to heat up the amount you'd put in a small joint, and how much would you need to eat of it if a small joint's worth is enough for you when smoked?

i wouldn't think you'd want to see vapor as that would mean thc is escaping from my logic. according to the stoner cookbook times and temps are as follows: 10-20minutes@310F in oven, 50-60min@240F in oven, 90 minutes@212F in boiling water bath.

I don't know about using temps above about 300F as I've vaped weed at those temps and although it doesn't cause all the thc to vaporize it does vaporize a good amount of it. Also, i don't have any sources on it but from what I understand you can go higher temps if you have an oil for the thc to be absorbed into instead of vaporized.

the potency will depend on how well the decarb process goes, but I would guess anywhere from the same amount to double will be a good starting place, and likely you will need more if you are eating raw plant material and heating on a radiator heater.

imo, it would probably be easier to try to hide smoking it as it will definitely smell if you leave it on the radiator long enough to decarb. but i guess it entirely depends on your situation. you will need to hide the smell still.