hotels and the law

^yeah, Iv worked for a few different Hotels/Motels over the years. They would rate from four stars to just scary.
I never went out of my way to acomodate the police, and they could tell that and wernt very nice to me all the time but theres nothing they could do to me. I dont want to say to specific of things, but over the years I could write a novel about all the busts, assaults, robberies, bugleries, Things that Iv found/come up on after busts.
At one very small motel I worked at, the maids(totally illegal, no english), when ever they found something like a bottle of pills or even a sack of weed and a pipe they would bag it up with the room # and date and leave it in the laundry room. So every so often when working the audit shift I would have to go and see what was "new" in the "lost and found". More than a few times I had people come back and ask for this or that but not really say specificly what they left, like a "small change purse" or whatever. I would usualy give them it back it if it was someyhing like xanax or somas, but I def kept more weed sacks than I gave back. On one ocasion at a resort type Hotel a guy had left a whole qp under his bed, this hotel was not as cool as the other one, and they gave the weed to the police since they had theire own security department(even though I got high with alot of the gaurds on the roof durning and after work).

Some of the other stuff found like a shotgun between the matresses, all kinds of pills, some weed, and lots of glass pieces and bongs. One time after a room was busted and every body aressted I went to find two really nice glass bongs, but the stems had been switched to smoke crystal so I didnt take them with me. Lots of fights, pistol whippings, severe beatdowns, almost drownings in the pool(Iv had to jump in the pool fully clothed afew times). I saw a guy throw his girlfriend through a window once, alot of crazy stuff like that.

And the things the police do. Iv seen them stake out the motel parking lot in a totaly beatup primered station wagon, dressed like bums waiting to snag a guy that they knew was staying there. And the rooms after the pigs got through serching were soooo messed up, like trash cans dumped out on the bed, all the light fixtures pulled off, totally messed up and unrentable.

Man, there is so much more shit. I could go on for along time, but then this would be more like a journal but you get the idea. The "hospitatlity" industry is flippin nuts sometimes, It does all depend on location though.

I lived in a small Mormon town once that was along a major highway. In the newspaper they had a “new of record” section where they would print a police log about what arrests where made.
Almost every week the same hotel that was a popular tourist hotel would be in the police log with.
“maid found_____ when clean room. Mr______ from out of state was arrested and charged”
The maids had to be just searching the rooms and calling the police when every they found something. These people from out of town had no clue. The police in that town are very corrupt. I’m sure you could try to fight it for illegal search but a jury trial in a Mormon town or a corrupt judge deciding your case? Scary shit

squerll said:
I lived in a small Mormon town once that was along a major highway. In the newspaper they had a “new of record” section where they would print a police log about what arrests where made.
Almost every week the same hotel that was a popular tourist hotel would be in the police log with.
“maid found_____ when clean room. Mr______ from out of state was arrested and charged”
The maids had to be just searching the rooms and calling the police when every they found something. These people from out of town had no clue. The police in that town are very corrupt. I’m sure you could try to fight it for illegal search but a jury trial in a Mormon town or a corrupt judge deciding your case? Scary shit

No, no case against illegal search could be made UNLESS it could be PROVEN that the maids were working as agents of the governemnt. If a miad, of her own free will, decides to search a room and finds something, then notifies the cops, there isn't an illegal search (at least up to this point). If the cops ASK the maids to search the room, then we have an entirely different set of circumstances, and an argument concerning illegal searches would be valid

If you can establish a pattern of this happening over time, with that hotel and with the same law enforcement agency(ies), then don't you think an argument can be made that the maids are acting on behalf of the government?

Johnny1 said:
If you can establish a pattern of this happening over time, with that hotel and with the same law enforcement agency(ies), then don't you think an argument can be made that the maids are acting on behalf of the government?

reread the final sentence of my response. Isn't that basically exactly what I said?

^ I didn't see it that way, but I agree with your last sentence.

From a defense perspective, I think it's quite likely that the police would not overtly ask the maids to search rooms (and if they did, it would be difficult to get anyone to admit to it). Rather, the police might encourage such action on the part of the hotel by increasing drive-bys or police presence near the hotel to make it a more secure location and thus encourage business, or through other more subtle methods such as giving preferential treatment to the hotel's owner. So one might have to establish the pattern without the help of testimony from the police or the hotel that the hotel was asked to search rooms. If you intended this as well, then we are just talking semantics and are in complete agreement.