Homophobia in reggae

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Most people probably equate reggae with hippies, stoners and peace signs but something I've noticed is there's a fair number of reggae artists that are homophobic, some blatantly so. I don't listen to it that often but I have noticed it. Apparently being gay isn't thought highly of in Rastafarianism I'm guessing since it's an Abrahamic religion. So my question for those that listen to reggae is how do you justify listening to it (assuming you aren't homophobic)? Does it bother you or do you just ignore it? Thoughts?

I think that hippies "stole" reggae and applied aspects of it to themselves just cos of the weed smoking and chill vibes. There is something HUGELY jarring, atmospherically, about kicking back to slow, groovy tunes about killing homosexuals. It doesn't equate. But that's probably because I too associate reggae with hippie stuff and open-mindedness, etc.

I think you are right in saying that the reason for the existence of homophobia in reggae is its connection to Christianity/Abrahamic religions. For whatever reason, homosexuality is invariably prohibited and condemned by fundamental Christians, and its sad that reggae has that association.

You could ask the same thing about various other genres. Think about black metal; I enjoy the band Drudkh, who are associated with the Ukrainian far-right. I am pretty left-wing myself, anti-racist/anti-facist. I've given them my money by buying their music, though I dislike racism and facism. I don't consider myself to be supporting either ideology; I just want the band to make enough money to keep recording.

There's some really iffy industrial music out there, either with really dark, disturbing themes (Nicole 12 for example), a pretense to the far-right such as Laibach (and I say pretense because they are inherently left-wing) or genuine sympathies for the far-right, like Death In June.

I don't think that supporting these artists or enjoying their art means sympathy or tolerance for their ideology. I would prefer these people to release music; if that gives them a platform to make ridiclous, close-minded statements, so be it. Is it wrong to like the Flight of The Valkyries because Wagner was an anti-semite? IMO, not at all. I just think its wrong to BE an anti-semite. :) I guess I could be being disingenous though...

Interesting topic, I hope you don't mind my tangent? I thought you would have something to say especially regarding black metal....

Interesting topic, I hope you don't mind my tangent?

No not at all, I didn't think this was even going to get any responses lol. Either way you make some good points. I guess in a way it comes down to whether you're just listening to it for the music or deciphering the lyrics.

This song by Buju Banton got him a lot of bad publicity. It's basically about killing gay men lol. Batty bwoy means a gay man apparently in Jamaican slang...

Part of the lyrics...

(Two man) Hitch up on an rub up on
An lay down inna bed
Hug up on another
Anna feel up leg
Send fi di matic an
Di Uzi instead
Shoot dem no come if we shot dem--
Don't want Jackie
Give dem Paul instead
Dem don't want di sweetness
Between di leg
Gal bend down backway
An accept di peg
An if it really hot
You know she still naw gon fled
A some man
Still don't want di
Panty raid
Pure batty business dem love

(Me say) Boom bye bye
Inna batty bwoy head
Rude bwoy no promote the nasty man
Dem haffi dead
Boom bye bye
Inna batty bwoy head
Rude bwoy no promote no nasty man
Dem haffi dead

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/buju_banton/boom_bye_bye.html

Batty boy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Jamaican English and creole, a batty boy (also spelled batty bwoy; other terms include batty man and chi chi bwoy/man) is a man considered to be gay, bisexual, or effeminate. The term is considered pejorative, as homosexuality is often condemned in contemporary Caribbean cultures, partially as a result of mainly conservative Christian and Rastafarian beliefs[citation needed]. Jamaican culture is one of the most violent towards men who are androgynous and/or who have sex with men. In 2006 Time Magazine noted that the country was likely to be the worst place in the Americas for LGBT people and one of the most homophobic places in the world.[1][2][3] Sex between men is punishable with up to ten years in jail.[1]

Certain Jamaican music, which features hostility to homosexuals, such as in a T.O.K. song "Chi Chi Man" which threatens to burn fire on gays and those in their company,[2] employs the term 'batty boy' to disparage LGBT people. One notorious song, "Boom Bye Bye" written by dancehall musician Buju Banton, advocates violence against batty boys, including shooting them in the head and setting them on fire: "Boom bye bye, in a batty bwoy head/Rude boy nah promote no nasty man, dem hafi dead."[4]

Post-World War II Jamaican immigrants brought the term 'batty boy' to the United Kingdom. Contemporary usage has been boosted partly by British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen, and his portrayal of the character Ali G. The term is also used in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batty_boy

Pretty crazy... I never knew gay sex was punishable by up to 10 years in prison in Jamaica.

I don't think all reggae is homophobic by any means. The vast majority isn't. In fact, I know of hardly any. I don't listen to heaps, but I like Richie Spice. Not strictly reggae but good stuff.

I choose not to listen to music that overtly pushes a view I dislike. Drudkh have lyrics in Ukrainian, and English translations seems to reveal a focus on some sort of paganism, Ukrainian history and nature. There is nationalistic sentiments that I can't understand, but there is no racism. The members have played in bands associated with the far-right though. That's not something that I feel the band actively promote. The song you posted, with lyrics that explicit, besides being musically dull, just pushes a theme that I think is out of place; I strongly disagree with that kind of religiously sanctioned hate; its one of the most dangerous forms of hate IMO.

Jamaica is religously conservative and that shouldn't be forgotten. Its poor as well and easily exploited I guess.

The song you posted, with lyrics that explicit, besides being musically dull, just pushes a theme that I think is out of place; I strongly disagree with that kind of religiously sanctioned hate; its one of the most dangerous forms of hate IMO.

I don't think his music is musically dull at all... I like some of his songs, but I certainly don't agree with the sentiments of that particular song. Kind of funny that this song is a song speaking out against killing...

It's just weird. I always assumed the Rastafarian faith was all about peace and love. I guess it is, as long as you're not gay. :\

I don't think his music is musically dull at all...

I just didn't find that particular track to be all that good.

I like some of his songs, but I certainly don't agree with the sentiments of that particular song. Kind of funny that this song is a song speaking out against killing...

:|

I marvel at the ability of humans to have such cognitive dissonance. A lot of the time, it reveals a dehumanising of those they oppose.

It's just weird. I always assumed the Rastafarian faith was all about peace and love. I guess it is, as long as you're not gay. :\

May not be a popular statement, but a lot of religions are like that. A focus on goodness and compassion, only if you meet a narrow set of standards. Just because weed is being smoked, does not mean these dudes are chilled out rebels.

But- I don't this sort of vehement homophobia is really widespread. You only really stumbled across it after listening to a fair bit of reggae. I admit, it shocked or surprised me at first....:\

Last edited:
May not be a popular statement, but a lot of religions are like that. A focus on goodness and compassion, only if you meet a narrow set of standards. Just because weed is being smoked, does not mean these dudes are chilled out rebels.

That's what bothers me most about a lot of major religions. Like Christianity for example. Don't kill, don't steal, don't cheat... Ok that makes sense. But wait wut? Stone homosexuals? lol

But- I don't this sort of vehement homophobia is really widespread. You only really stumbled across it after listening to a fair bit of reggae. I admit, it shocked or surprised me at first....:\

I don't know, it seems pretty widespread from what little I've read at least...

Portrayal of LGBT people in popular Jamaican music
See also: Stop Murder Music

Jamaica's popular culture has a strong tradition of music, including reggae and dancehall. As a consequence, performers are high profile, both influencing popular opinion and reflecting it. The United States Department of State said that in 2012 "through the songs and the behavior of some musicians, the country's dancehall culture helped perpetuate homophobia."[2] In its 2011 review of Jamaica for compliance with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the United Nations Human Rights Committee expressed regret over "virulent lyrics by musicians and entertainers that incite violence against homosexuals" and recommended that Jamaica investigate, prosecute, and sanction persons who do so.[52]

Artists such as Buju Banton,[53][54] Bounty Killer,[54][55] Beenie Man,[56][57] Mavado,[58] Sizzla,[59] Elephant Man,[54][60] Capleton,[61] T.O.K.,[62] and Shabba Ranks[63][64] have during their careers written or performed, or both, songs that advocate attacking or killing gays and lesbians.

Banju Banton, according to Time Magazine, "is an avowed homophobe whose [1992] song Boom Bye-Bye decrees that gays 'haffi dead' ('have to die')."[54] The song also "boasts of shooting gays with Uzis and burning their skin with acid 'like an old tire wheel'."[54] Buju Banton's manager, Donovan Germain, has insisted that "Buju's lyrics are part of a metaphorical tradition. They're not a literal call to kill gay men."[54]

One of Beenie Man's songs contains the lyrics: "I'm a dreaming of a new Jamaica, come to execute all the gays."[65] Bounty Killer has urged his listeners to burn "Mister Fagoty" and make him "wince in agony."[54] Elephant Man said in one of his songs, "When you hear a lesbian getting raped / It's not our fault ... Two women in bed / That's two Sodomites who should be dead."[54] Lyrics from Sizzla's songs include: "Shot battybwoy, my big gun boom." (Shoot queers, my big gun goes boom.)[66]

Some Rastafari have advocated for violence and discrimination against LGBT people.[67] When singing about gay males, those advocates have used terms like "MAUMA MAN (Maama Man), FASSY HOLE (or simply FASSY), MR. BURN, PUSSYHOLE, FAGGOT, FISHMAN, FUNNY MAN, BUJU MAN, FREAKY MAN, POOP MAN, BUGGER MAN and the most commonly used, BATTY MAN (butt man) and CHI CHI MAN (chi chi, in Jamaica, is the slang for vermin)."[67]

When signing about gay women, they have used terms like "SODOMITE, CHI CHI GAL or simply LESBIAN."[67] The Bobo Ashanti, including dancehall singers Sizzla, Capleton, and Anthony B, condemn everything in conflict with their beliefs: "Fire pon politicians, Fire pon Vatican, Fire pon chi chi man..."[67] Some singers have defended themselves by saying that it is "a 'spiritual fire.'"[67]

An international campaign against homophobia by reggae singers was headed by OutRage!, the UK-based gay activism group,[68] and the UK-based Stop Murder Music Coalition.[69] An agreement to stop anti-gay lyrics during live performances and not to produce any new anti-gay material or re-release offending songs was reached in February 2005 between dancehall record labels and organizations opposed to anti-gay murder lyrics.[69]

According to a 2005 published report, the Canadian High Commission in Jamaica was also requiring performers who wished to tour in Canada to sign an Entertainer Declaration that stated that they had read and fully understood excerpts from the Criminal Code of Canada, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the Canadian Human Rights Act and would not "engage in or advocate hatred against persons because of their ... sexual orientation."[70] Calls for a boycott of Jamaica and its music in Canada had provoked a debate over censorship and free expression in both Jamaica and Canada.[71]

In August 2013, Queen Ifrica made anti-gay comments at the Grand Gala independence celebrations in Kingston,[72] which were promptly criticized and labeled as inappropriate by the government's Ministry of Youth and Culture.[73] The promoters of Rastafest in Toronto, held later the same month, then dropped her from the concert lineup after various persons and groups protested her inclusion.[74]

A 2010 random survey of Jamaican adults showed that among those who most listened to reggae music, 65.0 percent expressed repulsion (the most negative word available) about persons in same-sex relationships. The percentages for dancehall music were 62.8 percent, 47.5 percent for rhythm and blues, 45.4 percent for those with no music preference, 42.9 percent for old hits and gospel, 35.3 percent for rock/alternative, and 30.8 percent for hip hop/rap.[32]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_...ayal_of_LGBT_people_in_popular_Jamaican_music

The artists mentioned in that are hardly underground nobodies that no one's heard of, at least within the genre.

Last edited:
^Aww look, you've gone all red ;) :eek: :D

That's what bothers me most about a lot of major religions. Like Christianity for example. Don't kill, don't steal, don't cheat... Ok that makes sense. But wait wut? Stone homosexuals? lol

Boggles the mind, doesn't it? Still, so many humans have these contradictory views- I think we have a unique ability to hold opposing attitudes, simultaneously. :\

I don't know, it seems pretty widespread from what little I've read at least...

The artists mentioned in that are hardly underground nobodies that no one's heard of, at least within the genre.

Perhaps it is more widespread then what I think; I'm certainly not deeply into reggae; but, if homophobia was a dominant lyrical theme, this whole thread wouldn't have happened; reggae wouldn't be associated with hippies, peace and weed, but would be associated with homophobic fundamentalist christians. Given that it isn't, I think an inference can be made.

I must say though, I am more scrupulous now when I check out new reggae, but even so, I've yet to stumble across any artist that sings about such. It was only reading on wikipedia that I gained such awareness.

I still enjoy Michael Jacksons entire back catalogue at the same time as not defending paedophilia.

Personally I like reggae and dub because of the double skank guitar strokes on the offbeat, not because I actually wish someone had shot the deputy or I want to chase the devil

I mean, Jamaica is a pretty chill country but that's pretty much their first rule?

Interesting i have not really thought of this before. I guess since they worship a dead emperor it shouldnt be much surprise that they have some backward notions though.