• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Homeopathic pills for opiate wd leg cramps

Gorillaboy21

Bluelighter
Has nyone tried this from CVS , it's apparently a bunch of herbal extracts

http://m.cvs.com/shop/health-medici...-leg-cramps-pain-relief-caplets-prodid-711635

Here are the ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Cinchona Off. 3X HPUS; Viscum Alb. 3X HPUS; Gnaphalium Poly. 3X HPUS; Rhus Tox. 6X HPUS; Aconitum Nap. 6X HPUS; Ledum Pal. 6X HPUS; Magnesia Phos. 6X HPUS. Inactive Ingredients: Lactose NF, Microcrystalline Cellulose, and Vegetable Magnesium Stearate

Any word would be nice idk trying to find any help I can for this battle

Homeopathic medicines are snake oil. They tend to only work for those who hope they will work, ie a placebo effect.

Homeopathic medicines are composed of ingredients that are suppose to cause the very same thing you are trying to treat (like fighting fire with fire), but these ingredients have been so incredibly watered down they are practically non existent.

Don't expect any pharmacological relief. If you take it believing it may help, then it may but only because of the power of your mind and not because it's actual medicine.

Hmm I understand that I study pharmacology I'm very aware of the shadiness In that sense but I was wondering if those specific extracts and plants were legit or not ... either way I tried the pills I really couldn't tell if it was the ibuprofen or that helping me so whatever

1) These aren't regulated. Even if Makeuhapeae spp. extract had literature, that doesn't mean there's any plant matter in the bottle, or that it came from the right part of the plant, the right fraction, season or storage.

2) Homeopathy is bogus. If it was homeopathic, then you'd know there wasn't anything in there, except the "memory" of having once touched a plant. So already the label's in contradiction with itself.

As for your question:
Teh googles is the best bet for researching these, and wikipedia is a good start.

Besides finding out that Cinchona is the national tree of peru, it mentions the bark is used medicinally. That doesn't help, you need to know what the ingredients are, so you can find literature on it, and avoid all the internet ads or Dr. Oz referrals.

So what does the bark have? Quinine apparently. So that's another strike against the bottle, what could this possibly be a treatment for? Not headaches. There'll be plenty on why you don't want a lot of that in your supplements, unless you have active malaria. Start googling the active ingredient, making sure you choose sites that are associated with schools, governments, and independent research, which tend to all come way after the hundreds of snake oil salesmen.

Even when you find an actual paper, see what journal and who did the research. The best are meta-reviews, that take all the peer-reviewed clinical data on these kinds of things, and do statistics to see if any results stand out (they usually don't). You want skepticism, especially for some unregulated thing that might have an ingredient that's harsh on your liver and is usually way over priced. And if it's an ingredient with promise, search for trusted sources of that, rather than anything at CVS.

I cant speak of those pills in particular but i can say ive never seen a homeopathy study where the placebo didnt have equal or better results.

For the leg cramps though it sounds like electrolytes and potassium should give you as much relief as you can expect during WD.

Grab some pedialyte and a couple bananas and you will be surprised at the effectiveness.

I'd advise to try large doses of Agmatine for this - 800mg twice a day.

Agamatine? Does what now? So since I take a gram of metformin every day, I should never get cramps again? The hell is sourcing and hookum? I really did stroke out last night, didn't I?

Scrofua mentioned looking up the individual ingredients in the hopes of finding out if they could be of any benefit.

Normally I'd agree but not with homeopathic medicines. If research proves the medicines can be beneficial, then you could source those medicines elsewhere. But don't expect anything from this particular product.

Notice how each ingredient is designated with a 6X HPUS or 3X HPUS. Look up either 3X HPUS or 6X HPUS on Google. These refer to how diluted the ingredients are, so yes, this is truly a homeopathic medicine. The bottle does not contradict itself in that regard.

6X means it's been diluted 10 to the power of six times. This means if they had started, for example, with 1 litre of that particular "active" ingredient then they diluted it into a MILLION litres of inactive ingredient (like water, for example).

In other words:
6X HPUS means one part active to one million part inactive.
3X HPUS means one part active to one thousand part inactive.

Basically, the "active" ingredients have all been diluted to the point where they are practically non-existent at the amount you would be taking in those pills.

Scrofua was correct that in homeopathy, they believe that the "memory" of the active ingredient is still in there (or some such nonsense).

If the "memory" really retains like that and has the ability to alter us then we are all fucked. The air you breathe has memory of all air borne particles, all smoke, all vapor, etc from the beginning of time until now. Our drinking water must retain memory of every drug everyone's ever taken including every drug metabolite ever pissed out. Same with our food. It's just bonkers really.

Not so true, you get a trace of magnesium, which can help you poop.

yes, but OP's got opiate withdrawals. Shouldn't she be pooping all over everything anyway? Girl you need calcium!

wd's manifest differently in different people, mines more insomnia and leg aches - others, i assume you are among them, tend to err on the side of voiding themselves of their waste in an epic manner

Hey guys I understand about peer review and googling I did that before I posted .

Thanks for explaining the 6X BS I had no idea about that, neither about the "memeory" thing I never heard of that... that sounds like straight bullshit take that memory and double blind placebo test it rofl...

Ya honestly I think I'm convincing myself that when I'm swallowing the pill that I'm feeling relief and I actively cause my brain to create that relief and search for it hahaha

I understand about peer review and googling I did that before I posted

Yeah, didn't mean to sound condescending; it's advice for a general audience who might see "homeopathic" and take a look at the thread. I think I had a bigger vision in my head, but stopped at quinine. I just learned some tricks looking up all this bull my mother buys and force feeds me. And I point out her Holy Basil contains a cannabinoid, why is she insisting?

OK, like don't google "Holy Basil", google Ocimum tenuiflorum. Any actual research will include that binomial; otherwise you might miss the stuff on Tulsi.
Then you can find whatever alkaloid is especially rich, if any--like Ocimum is high in beta-caryophyllene.

From there you can pubmed and find, "β-Caryophyllene, a CB2 receptor agonist produces multiple behavioral changes relevant to anxiety and depression in mice" in Physiology and Behavior, with researchers from somewhere in the UAE. Interesting, maybe look into this more.

And then you see: "Copaiba Oil-Resin Treatment Is Neuroprotective and Reduces Neutrophil Recruitment and Microglia Activation after Motor Cortex Excitotoxic Injury."
Now see? If you just googled Holy Basil, you never would have learned about Copaiba Oil. or that microglia were a thing. Maybe copaiba oil is a cheaper or better source for this new cannabinoid. But if you look, it's in the journal "
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med" which will either make you excited or roll your eyes.

Then if you do a little more research, you'll find that beta-caryophyllene is the ingredient in weed that drug-sniffing dogs alert to. So maybe you don't want to start a Holy Basil grow in your backyard or stock up on Copaiba Oil before a flight

These are the things you do for fun when you get kicked out of grad school.

OK, like don't google "Holy Basil", google Ocimum tenuiflorum. Any actual research will include that binomial; otherwise you might miss the stuff on Tulsi.
Then you can find whatever alkaloid is especially rich, if any--like Ocimum is high in beta-caryophyllene.
[...]
These are the things you do for fun when you get kicked out of grad school.

the ramblings of a diseased mind..

. . . says the crack addict.
But yeah, a couple of mind-diseases going on at the moment, at least.

In my lengthy experience with w/d's I've found that lithium oritate helps as well as essential oils; both you can purchase online