Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Homemade Lean (Codeine/Promethazine) - Experienced - Stick to CWE

infectedmushroom

Bluelighter
After having many years of experience with codeine I decided one day to change things up a bit by concocting a home-made lean style drink. Where i'm from, codeine is available over the counter in any pharmacy, in quantities up to 40 tablets containing 15mg/500 (codeine/paracetamol.) Normally, I would just cold water extract the codeine, and take the drug as a shot (orally.) However this time, I was feeling adventurous. I wondered what the effect of sipping a combination of codeine and promethazine would be like over the course of a few hours. Various reports noted taking the drug in a single dose is the best way to administer it, but I figured there must be something to the sip style of getting high that has given lean such popularity in the states. At the time of this experimentation my opiate tolerance was pretty low, and the quantities I mention were about the right dose I'd need to get a decent stone.

First I acquired a 1.25L sprite. It was only me drinking, and fuck if I was going to drink two litres of sprite in a day. I then got some codeine tablets and did a CWE on twelve of them. 12x15 = 180. I accounted for the loss of approx. one tablet in the CWE process, making the end product realistically 11x15 = 165. Next I added 80ml of a night time pain suppressant to give it that purple colour, and conveniently, the pain suppressant also contained promethazine and codeine. It wasn't suitable for use alone because it also contained paracetamol, so I used it as a top up of sorts for my drink to add that purple colour plus promethazine. My end 1.25l drank consisted of approx. 245mg codeine, 100mg promethazine, and just under 2g of paracetamol. I poured half the bottle into two styrofoam cups. The colour did look nice, I must admit, and I was excited to see how it'd go.

I started drinking around midday a couple hours after breakfast. Within an hour I could feel the onset of the codeine - the familiar warm, fuzzy feeling. I also felt a little more sedated, from the promethazine. I tried to not drink quickly, as it was really tempting to down it all like I normally would with a cwe. Instead I put the cup down and tried to distract myself with other things. After about two hours, I finished the first cup, and felt pretty good. Still, I wanted that "kick" you get from a cwe and an empty stomach - onset in 10-15 minutes and peak in about 45-60 minutes was the usual. Instead I just felt pretty lazy, and tired. I felt like lying down. I just really wanted to sleep. I sat up from the couch and poured the rest of the "lean" into my cup, and sipped that over the course of about an hour and a half. When done, I was feeling good, no doubt - but not in the same way as when taking a single dose all at once. It was milder, but I still felt heavy - I figured that was from the promethazine. I was so tempted to sleep, I soon lay down, and drifted off for an hour or two.

When I woke up, I was groggy as hell. I understand why lean gets the nickname "mud," and I'm guessing it's not only for the texture of the drink itself, but because your head and body feel like they're filled with mud. Everything is heavy, and slow, and even though i'd slept, I still felt really tired.

In conclusion, I did enjoy the experience, in a sense - however - it also felt like a waste of a day and of codeine. I much prefer taking the cwe shot, having the more intense high, and being more or less sober four hours later. With the sipping method of dosing, you prolong the overall stoned experience, but in reality sacrifice a lot of the pleasure of the most important element - the opiate. Ultimately I rate lean as being pretty pointless. If you can CWE pills, do that instead. At the very best next time I do it i'd halve the doses I took and spend the day smoking good bud with friends.

Be safe and do your research all!

Peace.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_codeine
substancecode_opiates
substancecode_promethazine
substancecode_deliriants
_combo_
explevel_experienced
exptype_neutral
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda interesting that you attempted this, the results don't surprise me in any way though. I always found promethazine to be a vastly inferior antihistamine to take with codeine than doxylamine succinate.

For some reason reading that has really tempted me to go and make a CWE, which I have not done for a year or so easily. Too bad the pharmacy is closed...

Indeed, I have to agree. Doxy is a superior potentiator/anti-histamine all though I rarely get the itches badly. Promethazine worked but I seemed to develop something of a tolerance pretty damn quickly (like within a week) to its sedating effects.

I was cwe'ing daily for quite a while (just over a year straight daily) and i've been off for 15 days now. Codeine's such a great drug when used responsibly. Hopefully I haven't caused a trigger or anything like that for you. :)

Yeah I strongly dislike that codeine/promethazine syrup. I've gotten it for a cough a few times because DXM makes me feel weird. Like you say, it mostly just made me feel like sleeping, a very heavy, uncontrollable fatigue type of experience. Not my cup of tea, when I used to do opiates I always wanted to feel up and excited on them, not dragged to the ground and passing out. I don't understand why it's so popular here among some circles.

I know thread is old but i have also made my own "lean" but did not add promethazine. Similar to infectedmushroom i used sprite and a can of KA Black grape for the purple colour (a drink in the uk not sure about anywhere else). I actually used the sprite to extract the codeine instead of water and it worked pretty well, i then add the codeine+sprite back the the sprite bottle and add the black grape drink to mask the bitterness and give it that purple colour. I guess if you wanted to add the promethazine in after you could but for me i hardly get the itch and would rather stay away from antihistamines while getting high :L don't wanna risk delirium

Why not just go organic and make lean tea?

Poppy pod/seed and then flavor and color until the heart is content?

how is the interaction? i have read that promethazine adds to the drowsy effects or the "nods", but i am somewhat curious. in reply to david, i have wanted to experiment with poppy tea but i do not have the source nor the time to grow them myself. plus before i do that i want to see if its possible to extract raw opium through a solvent extraction similar to cannabis concentrates

am from the uk aswell, what brand of drugs did you use to make it, was it a prescription ? because am trying to make some aswell

^Most Codeine preparations are able to be extracted via CWE. Be careful to get the kind without caffeine, as caffeine is also water soluble and will remain in your extraction. I have extracted the latter, and it makes for a very uncomfortable high.

Why not just go organic and make lean tea?

Poppy pod/seed and then flavor and color until the heart is content?

i've done this many times with poppy seeds, using plain ol' diphenhydramine as the antihistamine at about 100mg for a session's worth of "lean" and a few squirts of grape snow cone syrup to tie it all together. considering the long duration of poppy seed tea it makes the whole "slow sip" thing more logical (and you can fit a few more screw tapes in before nodding off ;) ). in my singular experience with actual codeine/promethazine syrup the codeine wore off woefully fast at like 3 hours in but the prometh kept me from being able to walk straight for another 3 - pretty wicked stuff, can't imagine drinking it all day. i preferred hydrocan or generic codeine-only syrup back when such things were readily available, before the great lean price explosion and the death of actavis. nowadays the vast majority of lean you find here in texas is homemade anyway (called "karo") and packaged into semi-convincing looking bottles which are sold at a hefty markup considering it's just zzz-quil and norcos or something. the stuff that is legitimate (called "clean" or "seal") is outrageously expensive.

if you're trying to get high, lean isn't really the way to go. don't get me wrong, if you sip enough of it you will get rip-roaring high, but you might as well just snort some oxy/dope if that's what you're after. lean is like slow smoked brisket, beer and horseshoes, trying to sleep with the preacher's daughter, etc. it's all about the vibe, music, ritual, etc. the drug itself is nothing special.