• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

HIV Meds and Recreational Substance Use

ethacetin

Greenlighter
This is pretty broad, but I couldn't find much information here (or anywhere else online) addressing possible contraindications between HIV medications and recreational drugs (also, given the current legal status of many substances, it's not something you can just ask most doctors about).

For example, I recently started Genvoya (which is essentially Stribild with the tenofovir replaced by tenofovir alafenamide).

The literature that comes with the medication strongly cautions against St. John's Wort, and also lists a number of ergot compounds one should not mix with this medication.
Furthermore, my doctor temporarily had me on fentanyl patches for short term pain, and cautioned that there was a contraindication there because Genvoya can interrupt the breakdown of fentanyl, but he went ahead and prescribed it anyway because it was only short term and such a low dose (12mcg/hr).

My preferred drugs of choice are cannabis, psychedelics and ketamine, but, to not kid anyone, I've done most everything and optimally would like to continue being able to do most everything.
I'm less concerned about prescription pharmaceuticals, because in those cases I actually can just ask my doctor or look up info online. Illicit substances and research chemicals present a more difficult task.

I left this question fairly open-ended, because I imagine there are people on different HIV meds who are wondering the same thing.

One might think "hey, you're HIV positive, time to knock it off with the fun stuff and get serious about your health." But, I am being serious about my health. From the studies I've read, I have no reason to believe that moderate, occasional use of many controlled substances even poses a significant health risk at all (if at all, certainly less so than getting wasted at the bar every weekend). However, if any of these substances would get in the way of my HIV meds working properly, I would reconsider using them.
The meds these days are great. HIV patients in the U.S. are currently enjoying almost the same life-expectancies as the average person, with minimal side-effects. I see no reason that they shouldn't be able to enjoy the same quality of living.
Furthermore, I spent the past decade living in an area where many people were HIV positive and very open about it. Some of these people continued to party just like anyone else. Some of these people were daily intravenous drug users, shooting up high doses of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and combinations thereof. Regardless of what anyone thinks someone else should be doing, the reality is that people are doing it.

I believe the world could benefit from more comprehensive and accessible information regarding possible contraindications between HIV medications and all the wonderful things people like to get high off of and/or explore their consciousness with.

i would imagine most drugs to be safe as anti viral drugs and narcotic drugs do completely different things in different parts of the body

I would stay away from research chemicals personally but I highly doubt your going to find any concrete info either way on the subject. Its one of those things where you have to determine your tolerance for risk I guess. The ergot warning would make me think carefully about LSD but there are so many other options as far as tripping goes.

Honestly, just the fact that the meds I'm on are contraindicated with opioids makes me wonder what else they might react to. HIV meds get into every cell of the body, including neurons.

Good advice.
As a followup, I've used a number of substances since starting these meds (LSD, DMT, cannabis, gabapentin, ambien, ketamine, whippits, Robitussin, fentanyl, tianeptine, clonzolam, flubromazolam... I've even been drinking more than I should.
So far so good. My virus levels are undetectable. I'm not getting side effects from the Genvoya (HIV meds) and nothing recreational I've done has seemed to have an effect (manI wish it potentiate opioids a bit more because man doctors in the US do not like to give those out and when they do the doses are minuscule.

Basically I party like I used to and there doesn't seem to be any problems.