• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hitting in wrist? (iv)

Murphdawg

Bluelighter
When i get out on stuff at the hospital or doctors they always use my wrist veins, when I try to shoot there myself I can never hit it. Is there a different angle or needle length I should use for those locations or what? I have no problem hitting in forearms and biceps of either arm but my wrists are eluding me

I’d avoid it anyways wrist shots are painful and in my experience
More likely to miss and cause infection or abcesses

I assume you are talking about the back of your hand.

This actually used to be my main site to shoot up. I still have a scar from how many times I've used it.

If you can use your arms, that's a better idea. Bigger veins, less risk of damaging surrounding structures. I only used the back of my hand cause I got into the habit of doing it when my veins in my arm had been overused. I've since gotten back into the habit of using the crook of my arm again since a few years not using prior to relapsing has given time for my veins to recover.

So assuming you don't need to use the wrists, it's probably better than you don't. But if you do.... uhhh, tbh I'm not sure what you might be doing wrong other than just generally bad technique. I mean, in my experience it's not especially different to other areas. You wanna be at a shallower angle I guess, since the veins are generally closer to the surface of the skin.

What gauge needles are you using? I usually used 27g and 29g and they worked ok for me. Though that's mainly cause that's what I'm most experienced with since it's what exchanges and pharmacies and such hand out here. Some people might prefer smaller needles.

It’s what @JessFR said about the veins being smaller and shallower. They’re a bit harder to hit, quite a bit if you’re not with a really good amount of experience and technique.

wear a tourniquet or use something to make one to make the veins pop more. Aim at less of an angle, and when you’re inserting the needle you want to do it QUICK as possible. If you can accurately fire a needle in with a tap of your finger you’ll wind up registering much more often. Veins tend to move around and roll if you’re slow. The wrists are tougher to hit so if you aren’t having any success there, try somewhere else so that you’re not jabbing yourself over and over and so you’re not dulling your needle so much.