• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Hippies and Hippiedom: let's have a serious look

^ hippies may 'oppose' mainstream society, intellectually (yet still drive a car, get the dole, smoke, etc)

but indigenous people actually live in a way that is almost completely opposite to mainstream society

of course this is a broad sweeping generalization.

where I am from their are more shades of hippy then Colours in the Rainbow~

there is your 'dreadlock, smoke pot, eat psychedelics, on the dole' hippy

there is your 'love nature, plant seeds, take action' hippy

there is your 'business savy, work within capitalism for systemic change' hippy

then there is your 'purist, eat raw foods, don't take drugs, meditate' hippy

there is your 'vote greens, politically active, tree planting' hippy

.. and of course many, many more shades of hippy and combinations of the above generalization

There are so many different types of people that could be perceived as 'hippy' by society and yet are worlds apart in many different ways.

I think ultimately 'hippy' is often seen as someone who is 'counter-culture' and has very alternative views on reality ~ and one can be so 'far-out' and 'opposed' to the mainstream they have little to contribute to the larger evolution of consciousness taking place right now.

the middle-way, I reckon, is where real shifts take place and creative energy has the freedom to create broader cultural changes ~ real grassroots stuff

I think the biggest impediment to trying to understand hippies today is that the objectives of their "political wings" and "militant wings" aren't easily understood anymore. SDS and weatherman would be apart of trying to understand who many of them were in relation to the culture at large.

My original naive conception of hippies probably came from the abysmal BillY Jack movie. Peace, love and understanding. Justice. A disavowal of greed and materialism.

Ani-materialist phases go OK in the unfolding of a persons life imo. Getting stuck in such a phase often makes for the rankest of hypocrisy opposing others materialism while overlooking their own.

I was only going to bump this for the prune but I got a bit carried away.

Being a former follower of phish I have known all kinds of hippies. One of the few kinds I actually liked were the non-burned out business hippies; 40+ usually. College hippies that come from money are probably the worst kind of hippie imo.