• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

High pitched noises during bad trips - any ideas?

BlueMerlin

Bluelighter
Hello,

during a rather difficult experience on a 300 mcg of eth-lad trip (which I'll write a small report about in the eth-lad thread as well) I've had this high pitched zooming noise, maybe like the sound cicadas make, but more high pitched and constant, going from quiet to loud, up and down, in waves, perfectly in sync, kind of introducing a psychotic episode.

It's not the first time I've heard this, on previous bad trips these noises were also apparent, the darker the trip gets the more they get the upper hand, they sound very ominous and sinister, so it's very hard to ignore them and just accept what's happening and stay calm.

I've only seen one person mentioning them before, and it was suggested that it's just blood flow, but I've seen Leary write about noises produced by the body in his book "the psychedelic experience" so I knew this when I heard them, and tried to analyze them and that wasn't it.
It felt like my brain was simulating a psychosis and added fitting noises for dramatic effect.

I know how this sounds, but I'm not sure how to explain it differently, I'm sure people who've heard these as well during bad trips know what Im talking about, and maybe they're found more info on this than I did.

Thank you.

I do experience audio “hallucinations” while on strong doses of various psychedelics. It is usually part of full synesthesia involving the five senses and thought as well. I’m used to it and even greatly enjoy that state.

It happens frequently when I lay down on a couch with a blindfold in a quiet environment. Then, I concentrate on the sound and the trip becomes fully dissociative. I have access to consciousness states or worlds that seems to have a life of their own.

With mushrooms it is more than abstract stuff, I encounter beings, entities or forms of intelligence that feels very alien to me. With time I learned to slow down the process and to communicate with them. It can be extremely disturbing believe me, at the same time it is very beneficial in some ways. I never tried DMT but my dissociative mushroom experiences are quite similar to DMT reports I have read.

For me the sound is the portal to access very unusual states of consciousness. These kind of experiences are not for everybody. I suggest to lower your doses if you are not comfortable with that.

Yes, mushrooms can be very DMT like indeed.

But I probably didn't describe the sound too well, it's not the high pitched buzzing sound that keeps intensifying, it's a clearly ominous noise, the kind of noise that just sounds plain psychotic, I've been Googling and searching on Youtube, but I can't find it, but I'm sure I've heard it in horror movies as well.

It goes up and down, kinda wailing, buzzing, well, I'm not sure how to describe a sound, it's not doable I guess, but it's probably not the one you're referring to.
I also had earbuds in at the time, so it might have something to do with that, maybe my mind just picked up on noises, blood flow or something and made it sound psychotic, I can't tell for sure.

No, but it does sound like what I hear when I'm going off on a heavy DMT trip.

It sounds dark, sinister, unsettling, like a true introduction to some deep psychosis.

But the different layers in it I do recognize, there are multiple layers to it, creating a more dramatic effect.

Thanks for trying though, I really appreciate it.

Wow, Perpetualdawn, after Googling Semuta music I actually found something that came close to it, the beginning of this track had identical noise in it.(The first 10 seconds).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcuCSMLpuhQ

Would that really be the sound of my brain?
I tried to analyze it, but I couldn't possibly imagine it to be noise from body mechanics.

Thank you.
That actually came very close!

Is that common for you?
I have only heard it during bad experiences.

Last edited:
I get those all the time, one of my favourite things in trips.

It's not that you're hearing a physical sound in your brain. It's because of the Psychedelic, your auditory perception system is turned way up, so you end up with all kinds of feedback loops in your neural circuits of your auditory system. The feedback gets amplified by what aspects of the sound you're paying attention to and experiencing, so it gets really interesting. There is this interplay between what you direct your attention to and what sound is produced.

Come to think of it, it's a bit similar to how the Google deep dream algorithm works, except the computer and algorithm is your brain and perception, and the medium is audio not doggies.

It's one of your favorite things?
Not for me to be honest.

I think I only hear it when I'm having a bad experience, even on higher doses of mushrooms, 8gr+ I don"'t hear them, last time I heard something similar was on a mild dose of 2gr., and then I was having a bit of a difficult experience as well, but it was very easy to control.

Maybe my mind just associates it with psychosis and I'm creating a bad experience accordingly, I'm not sure, but it's interesting to hear that you like them though.