• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc High opioid tolerance and nitrous from the dentist had no effect whatsoever!

Fiori di Bella

Bluelight Crew
I have been using opioids, pill form only since 1999 and I’m wondering if my opiate tolerance affected the way I now process nitrous. I was undergoing a dental procedure and I experienced -zero- from the nitrous. Are my opiate receptors now so fucked up that I cannot enjoy nitrous with the dentist? I asked him to increase the nitrous on my nose cannula because I was experiencing fuck all and I used to get enjoyment with nitrous back in the days that I took just hydrocodone. But after several years of daily Oxy use, nitrous does nothing. From a chemistry standpoint, I don’t believe this should be so, and I asked the dentist if opiates affected the activity of nitrous, but he had no clue.

A good portion of the activity of nitrous oxide is actually mediated by the opioid system. In fact the analgesic properties of nitrous oxide can be reversed by opioid antagonists. Thus there is some cross tolerance.

That said, a decent concentration of nitrous oxide should have clear and unmistakable effects in even an opioid tolerant patient. Sounds like the dentist was stingy with the gass.

A good portion of the activity of nitrous oxide is actually mediated by the opioid system. In fact the analgesic properties of nitrous oxide can be reversed by opioid antagonists. Thus there is some cross tolerance.

That said, a decent concentration of nitrous oxide should have clear and unmistakable effects in even an opioid tolerant patient. Sounds like the dentist was stingy with the gass.

Ah interesting.. Maybe this is why I don’t enjoy it being on Suboxone has its way of making other opiates not feel as good as we know.

-Gc