• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

High dose gabapentin blocking the effects of kratom... wtf?

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
When I get my gabapentin filled I usually do a stagger to a high dose to get the “recreational” effects (which are somewhat enjoyable), and each time it seems to completely block kratom’s effects if I dose once that plateau is reached, and even during the early part of the next day (during the “afterglow”). What is going on here? Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a pharmacological and/or physiological explanation for this?

I'm there with you in some ways man. I've found in my travels that the combination of Gabapentinoids and Opioids can either create a powerful synergy or kind of "blunt" the effects of Opioids. I think it's really a matter of subjective experience. I don't have anything extremely valuable to add, but I'm sure that there is some kind of mysterious relationship between these two classes that we have yet to remotely broach.

For instance, Gabapentinoids can virtually block the negative effects of withdrawal and I don't mean in the same fashion that extreme dosages of sedatives and whatnot do. It's a different mechanism than just adding a competitive volume of CNS depressants. As I've said, there's some kind of strange relationship here. I too have experience the subjective "blunting" of effects from Opioids, but I typically experience the synergy.

I'm there with you in some ways man. I've found in my travels that the combination of Gabapentinoids and Opioids can either create a powerful synergy or kind of "blunt" the effects of Opioids. I think it's really a matter of subjective experience. I don't have anything extremely valuable to add, but I'm sure that there is some kind of mysterious relationship between these two classes that we have yet to remotely broach.

For instance, Gabapentinoids can virtually block the negative effects of withdrawal and I don't mean in the same fashion that extreme dosages of sedatives and whatnot do. It's a different mechanism than just adding a competitive volume of CNS depressants. As I've said, there's some kind of strange relationship here. I too have experience the subjective "blunting" of effects from Opioids, but I typically experience the synergy.

Good point. The way gabapentin aids in opioid withdrawal must be responsible for blocking the effects in general. So you’ve had that happen as well, with other opioids or kratom?

What’s a bit strange, though, is for a while the gabapentin would mostly negate the kratom withdrawal symptoms I experience, but now it no longer does. Yet, as I’ve said, it is still blocking the “high” from kratom.

It’s not really a major concern for me, as I only go for that high dose once when I first get it filled, and my prescribed dose doesn’t seem to interfere. Was just curious if anyone had a theory or logical explanation on the subject. As we know, though, gabapentin, like many prescription drugs, has a mechanism of action that is not understood.

But, is your tolerance to Gabapentinoids extremely high? Have you taken tolerance breaks with it or have you just been on the same dose on a chronic basis with few breaks?

Sorry to butt in....
My exp (*always on gabapentin with hardly-ever breaks) has been that if I take the Opiate FIRST n gabapentin at least 2-3 hours later, boom: synergy.
If I take the gabapentin first, the Opiate is pretty well a waste as I won't feel more than a slight warmth/ no euphoria.
Just thought I would toss that in the mix. Peace--
Fox

Do you mean Keif, gabapentin blocks all the negative wd effects for you or in general because that certainly isnt the case for me. And given that Kratom isnt a very powerful opioid and rather poorly understood but far more promiscuous than pharmaceutical opioids, my hunch is you simply are feeling the gabapentin more than the Kratom but its effects arent truly diminished truenambrand.

But, is your tolerance to Gabapentinoids extremely high? Have you taken tolerance breaks with it or have you just been on the same dose on a chronic basis with few breaks?

I have taken extended breaks, yes. And I would say after my extensive phenibut abuse, and now my regular use of both gabapentin and baclofen, my tolerance to gabapentinoids is relatively high.

I’d just like to add, I just obtained a script for tramadol, and I had taken 1,500mg of gabapentin earlier in the day. I took 200mg of the tramadol, and feel only the SNRI effects, no opioid effects whatsoever. So it seems to be blocking the tramadol as well.

That being the case, any idea how long it’ll be until the gabapentin will no longer interfere? I know its half life is supposed to be 5-7 hours (but this really means nothing, as evidenced by, for example, phenibut, which also has a half life of supposedly 5 hours, while it’s effects are felt for a solid 24; and diazepam, with its super long half life and maddeningly short duration of action). I have taken it every day for the past 4-5 days, and 1,500 mg this morning, the second and last dose being around 9 am.

Last edited:
^^^^^ EXACTLY
And sadly I'm experiencing horrific shoulder pain and doctors don't gimme anything
My gabapentin tolerance is so high after years of rx use, it's not helping nor are Tylenol Advil Aleve etc...
I'm almost ready to bite the bullet and order kratom. For some reason I'm afraid of it though.

For a while I was taking phenibut, at high dosages, for anxiety and insomnia. I was also shooting Dilaudid at the time, at dosages of 40mg+. The phenibut totally blocked any rush or high from the Dilaudid, so there's something to this. When I posted about it, nobody knew why, either. But, yes.

I asked this in another thread .... but what's a good starting dose of kratom? I've never used it. Mine will be in capsules. I have a mid-range opiate tolerance (have not used any in months though) and a huge gabapentin tolerance. Pls advise me where to start on kratom? Looking for pain relief.