• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Hey, how long does this ammonia body odor and breath last after my meth binge is done

pbuilder

Bluelighter
So I went through 250mg of crystal from thursday starting around noon, until this morning where I parachuted a final dose of 50mg. (Saturday)

I didn't sleep thursday night, but I did lay in bed for about 6 hours, and I slept 4 hours last night + lay in bed for a bit as well.

So I'm coming down now, and REAK like ammonia. I already noticed this yesterday, but it's even worse today. I basically smell like fucking cat piss. I know this is caused by ketosis breakdown of protein (muscle) because I have not been eating regularly/ lack of sleep. Basically, my body is breaking down muscle to use as fuel right now, and that leads to a massive increase of ammonia in me (maybe not actual ammonia, but rather the chemical that makes piss smell kinda like ammonia), hence the nasty fucking smells. Or someshit like that, you guys can google it.

But today, I tried my best to eat and drink properly again. I had a few glasses of V8 veggie juice, 2 apples, a piece of chicken, like 6 bottles of water, some rice, and a bunch of whole wheat crackers. Most of that was in the past few hours, and I am already beginning to feel a lot better, but I still smell and taste ammonia pretty damn prominanetely. I've taken like 8 showers since yesterday as well, it almost burns my nose and mouth a little bit when I breath, that is how fucking nasty this shit smells.

Anyways, just looking for info from other people that have experienced this side effect in the past, how long does it generally takes to return back to baseline smell after you stop the meth and start getting normal sleep and eating a proper diet again?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I did meth for 7 years, including both ice and "bathtub crank", and I never ever noticed me or anyone else smelling like ammonia, other than after a cook. Maybe you should reevaluate your source.

You'll be back to normal by tomorrow. You should really eat and drink plenty of water when you're on it even if you don't want to, just figure out stuff you can stand to eat on it. For me it was always cereal.

Coming off heroin gives me a weird smell. It's been years since I did crank, but I would guess maybe it's not ketosis but just the meth ingredients coming out of your pores? Like when someone had too much alcohol, or garlic and you can smell it coming off them? The meth you did might've had a high ammonia concentration?

I did meth for 7 years, including both ice and "bathtub crank", and I never ever noticed me or anyone else smelling like ammonia, other than after a cook. Maybe you should reevaluate your source.

You'll be back to normal by tomorrow. You should really eat and drink plenty of water when you're on it even if you don't want to, just figure out stuff you can stand to eat on it. For me it was always cereal.

From a google search, it appears to be a reasonably common thing. I know, I ate decently the first day, but completely lost all appetite and desire to eat on day 2. I'm now sitting here trying to drink and eat as many nutrious things as I can. Have you never noticed a nasty body order on meth that comes right back even after a shower as soon as you start sweating again? Maybe it's not as common as I thought, but yea, it's caused by dehyration / lack of nutrition / sleep deprivation

https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195943

I won't be doing meth again any time soon.

Found this from another forum, showing the odor isn't directly caused by meth itself.
https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195943

"
Originally Posted by AboveDaInfluence View Post
Also if your body is fatigued due to no sleeping, your sweat will smell like ammonia.
THIS!!

I used to assume that the odor was somehow connected to meth related toxins in my bloodstream or something.

Then one day, I got a surprise. I had this massive freelance project to get done, and desperate to meet the deadline I went four or five days without more than an hour's sleep here and there, fuelled by nothing more than caffeine, willpower and panic. At some point, I started sniffing myself and realised "god damn! that's meth sweat!".

Seriously, exactly the same fucked up Ammonia odor."

And here is the process that leads to this, it's not actually from meth itself.

"Yeah, it happens. Your body uses amino acids for energy when glucose isn't available. To do this, it must take the nitrogen off of the rest of the molecule. The rest of the molecule can then be converted to glucose and used as energy.

This still leaves the nitrogen lying around. It usually will bind to other compounds and become urea in the kidneys which is then excreted.

However, during prolonged exercise your kidneys may not be able to handle the amount of nitrogen being processed and the nitrogen will be excreted as sweat resulting in the ammonia smell.

Drinking more water helps to flush out the ammonia. Also, because amino acids use for energy happens when your glycogen stores are depleted eating a carb-filled snack prior to working out can help.
"
- From another forum

Last edited:
That's interesting. I knew someone who had an ammonia smell to his sweat even though he was t using. But he did have horrible eating habits lol

That sounds pretty crazy. I'm surprised I never noticed it. Maybe it's more prevalent in certain individuals?

I haven't had that problem before. I try to stay hydrated and force myself to eat as much as possible so that could have something to do with. Who knows though lol

i had this happen when i was withdrawing off benzos and psychiatric medications and couldn't sleep/eat for 3-4 days and was paranoid etc

i assumed it was ketosis, but omg i smelt soooooo bad. i thought there were ants all over my room and everywhere, i'm still not sure if they were real or not, it seemed like there were too many for it to be real.

So this is why you've been so cranky recently!

All kidding aside short of rehydrating and stacking up on carbs there's not much you can do. Other than shower you filthy hippie.

Propionic acid is the main cause.

Take a good warm bath with a few tbsp of baking soda. You'll be fine.

Crack users smell like old copper pennies to me.

H users smell like douches.

Meth users smell like burnt tin foil.

I found this entertaining.

Lol.
I have a very sensitive nose, what can I say. I swear, everytime I go into a friend's apartment, you know, she tries to deny smoking crack, her apt is clean, but smells like pit bull balls and old sticky copper pennies.

Man just do some downers and suck that bo shit back under ur arms.

No seriously take a fucking shower,and sit down on the toilet and roll the bowl until you think its been enough time to cut the shower off.

Man just do some downers and suck that bo shit back under ur arms.

No seriously take a fucking shower,and sit down on the toilet and roll the bowl until you think its been enough time to cut the shower off.

I am currently clean from all downers including opiates and benzos. I ended up just taking another shower, eating more, and passing out for a solid 8 hours of sleep. Still smelling a bit weird but not as bad this morning, going to take another shower. And yea, burnt tin foil and ammonia and cat piss would be a good way to describe it LiloKoiMoon lol.

In fact, this meth use was a bad choice and I won't be using it again any time soon. Being sober is more fun then tweaking balls and smelling like fucking cat piss no matter how many showers you take lmao.

Yeah some people take that shit to the woods,and i'll b damned if they dont have the cleanest campsite! I sweat sometimes when I do it, and i sweat like a moterfucker! Not always tho, sometimes i don't sweat at all.

I've had some good times and bad times on the shit. Mostly bad times.

Yesterday, before I slept last night, I started compulsively looking at my skin, I could swear I was seeing tiny meth crystal being secreted, and I kept getting prickly sensations everywhere. Today, it is now obvious as fuck I was heading down the path of meth induced psychosis. If you read up on what actually causes those physical sensations during a meth binge, it all makes sense. It's weird how you can't convince someone they are in stim psychosis while they are in it. Fucking weird. Thank god I just told myself to ignore it and not pick. I'm pretty sure my meth was reasonably shitty as well, because I definetely was sweating and secreting some nasty chemicals. I also have a hightened sense of smell. I still have this a bit today, but not nearly to that extent. I still smell the ammonia like smell a bit, but it is much less severe. I know my body is still detoxing the meth it has in it, as my last dose was only 27 hours ago (50mg orally) even though I slept 8 hours last night.

So yea, meth definetely heightens awareness of "off smells", and combined with the nasty rank that you get from a binge, and the weird shit sleep deprivation causes, it is a recipe for disaster. I also noticed food someone cooking in the kitchen smelt absolutely horrible, and not to mention the appetite supression caused by meth, the combonation of all that shit makes for a shitty experience.

I won't be using meth again! (First time I've touched it in many many months, but I've only used it a few times before, and this was my worst experience with side effects I'd say, my own fault for binging through the .25 I bought with almost no sleep over 3 days though.)

Last edited:
i had this happen when i was withdrawing off benzos and psychiatric medications and couldn't sleep/eat for 3-4 days and was paranoid etc

i assumed it was ketosis, but omg i smelt soooooo bad. i thought there were ants all over my room and everywhere, i'm still not sure if they were real or not, it seemed like there were too many for it to be real.

No, of course the ants weren't real, although I'm sure they seemed real. Benzo withdrawal are truly fucked, I've heard ssri and other psych meds also have crazy scary withdrawal symptoms, so I'm sure that combonation provided for some seriously terrifying and fucked hallucinations.

Yesterday, before I slept last night, I started compulsively looking at my skin, I could swear I was seeing tiny meth crystal being secreted, and I kept getting prickly sensations everywhere. Today, it is now obvious as fuck I was heading down the path of meth induced psychosis. If you read up on what actually causes those physical sensations during a meth binge, it all makes sense. It's weird how you can't convince someone they are in stim psychosis while they are in it. Fucking weird. Thank god I just told myself to ignore it and not pick. I'm pretty sure my meth was reasonably shitty as well, because I definetely was sweating and secreting some nasty chemicals. I also have a hightened sense of smell. I still have this a bit today, but not nearly to that extent. I still smell the ammonia like smell a bit, but it is much less severe. I know my body is still detoxing the meth it has in it, as my last dose was only 27 hours ago (50mg orally) even though I slept 8 hours last night.

So yea, meth definetely heightens awareness of "off smells", and combined with the nasty rank that you get from a binge, and the weird shit sleep deprivation causes, it is a recipe for disaster. I also noticed food someone cooking in the kitchen smelt absolutely horrible, and not to mention the appetite supression caused by meth, the combonation of all that shit makes for a shitty experience.

I won't be using meth again! (First time I've touched it in many many months, but I've only used it a few times before, and this was my worst experience with side effects I'd say, my own fault for binging through the .25 I bought with almost no sleep over 3 days though.)

This is why I don't fuck with meth anymore. Psychosis is raw as fuck. After a four day binge a friend of mine was arrested at the bottom of his driveway cutting at the back of his head with a knife, trying to cut the demons out. He still isn't right and won't shut the fuck up about the battle between demons and God constantly occurring. I left like fourteen hours before he decided to do this when he started talking about shadows all around him all with my face. Like fuck naw I don't wanna get shanked by a large Mexican convinced I'm a shadow demon.

Dude, no shit?? My roomate was doing that shit earlier, and I was like what the fuck is your problem?? He told me he had some dope on him, i'm like 'what?u spilt a bowl on yourself'? He said no man its the shit, its coming out of me. Dude he was picking his shit with little sewing sizzors and holy shit. I told him hey man i got the same shit corssing through my veinz what the fuck do you mean ??

At that time I left him to dig in his fucking arms,legs,face. We started doing the shit around 8:00pm last night,so its not like we were up for days. The thing is that dudes a walker,he goes out scowering the city. Guy left arounf 8am,i was lightly sleeping,so i bet he went n smoked his shit in some allyways and behind dumpsters.

lol, i'm glad I've not had to go through such shit, man fuck picking at my self. If I wad serious about getting them off i'd take a knife to it and not fuck around.(i would do that now and tell this guy to use my box cutter and try to pop those motherfuckers out bc i'm outa dope !) ..hed do that shit.

I'm sleeping with my wallet and my knife tonight.dude already saw some shit on me and looked as if he serously was about to pick my leg skin. I'd put my torch to his fuckig eyeball.

Man, i snort and swallow the shit,sometimes smokr,never shoot. I like getting peppd up feeling all alart and shit. Like i can fucking concentrate.i'm ADD as fuck, and this shit helps.

Dude, no shit?? My roomate was doing that shit earlier, and I was like what the fuck is your problem?? He told me he had some dope on him, i'm like 'what?u spilt a bowl on yourself'? He said no man its the shit, its coming out of me. Dude he was picking his shit with little sewing sizzors and holy shit. I told him hey man i got the same shit corssing through my veinz what the fuck do you mean ??

At that time I left him to dig in his fucking arms,legs,face. We started doing the shit around 8:00pm last night,so its not like we were up for days. The thing is that dudes a walker,he goes out scowering the city. Guy left arounf 8am,i was lightly sleeping,so i bet he went n smoked his shit in some allyways and behind dumpsters.

lol, i'm glad I've not had to go through such shit, man fuck picking at my self. If I wad serious about getting them off i'd take a knife to it and not fuck around.(i would do that now and tell this guy to use my box cutter and try to pop those motherfuckers out bc i'm outa dope !) ..hed do that shit.

I'm sleeping with my wallet and my knife tonight.dude already saw some shit on me and looked as if he serously was about to pick my leg skin. I'd put my torch to his fuckig eyeball.

Man, i snort and swallow the shit,sometimes smokr,never shoot. I like getting peppd up feeling all alart and shit. Like i can fucking concentrate.i'm ADD as fuck, and this shit helps.

I believe it's dry skin or something that truly does begin to gleam a bit and look like little crystals when ur tweaking. Cause I'd feel a prickly sensation and look and I swear there was a tiny little crystal, but I looked again today and it just appears to be dry skin. The problem is when ur tweaking hard, that shit seems too real. You just gotta remember to remind urself though that this is typical psychosis / tweaker behavior, and fucking get some sleep before ur too far gone to remind urself ur just tweaking lmao.