• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Heroin, swollen i.v. site on nuckle

Cjl800

Greenlighter
Hello, I've browsed this site for a few years now but I come today asking for some advice for my friend. I could not find anything pertaining to his issue. Friend has been i.v.ing suboxone for about the past year. He has lost almost all usable sites except a few in hands. He got h today and tried to pull it back got blood but pulled out. Added water in the syringe so the blood didnt clot right away. Got back in the site maybe 10 minutes later and now the site is swollen and red.The site is between pinky and ring finger nuckle on top of hand. Swollen on top of hand and between nuckles. Is it just a missed shot or did the blood in the syringe possibly cause the issuse? Rubbing seems to help some.

Sounds like you just missed a bit of the shot, I used to be covered in lumps and swellings like that 24/7. It's particularly easy to cause it in your hands because the veins are quite small.

It's probably nothing to worry about whatsoever, just keep the site clean and watch it. If it starts to get painful and the pain keeps getting worse or the swelling increases or it turns red then that might be the time to call a doctor in case you have an infection or abscess. Obviously try to avoid going in that general area again for a while if you can, it should return to normal in a day or two. You might have a bruise there after.

Yeah. This sort of thing happens sometimes. Either because of a missed shot or blood pooling and causing a bad bruise.

It usually has no long term consequences and goes away on its own.

I highly recommend trying to improve you (or your friends) iv technique. I mean it's always gonna be a danger with substances that aren't meant to be injected, but the longer you can keep your veins working the better.

I was an iv heroin user for many many years and haven't permanently lost any veins yet to my knowledge. Some of that is that the heroin in our area isnt as harsh on the veins as in some places. But I've known people who've used up nearly all their good veins and can only shoot in their groin or similar dangerous areas.

And I very VERY frequently reused needles so many times the printed measurement writing had worn off. So I was hardly religiously following best practices. But my point is that harsher substances or particularly bad practices can burn through your veins very quick.

Stay safe, and good luck. :)

Thank you both, for the timely replies. I think it was a missed shot. Still iving half sub strips(4mg) several times a day. Swelling on top of hand is still there. Seems to be fluid retention. It went down after that experience with h. But since then started up with sub again and now the whole top of hand is swollen to the point that the knuckles look like dimples with hand fully open.

Thank you both, for the timely replies. I think it was a missed shot. Still iving half sub strips(4mg) several times a day. Swelling on top of hand is still there. Seems to be fluid retention. It went down after that experience with h. But since then started up with sub again and now the whole top of hand is swollen to the point that the knuckles look like dimples with hand fully open.

I wish I had some good advice for this, but apart from suggesting you see a doctor if it's at all possible, I don't really have any.

Best I can think of is really looking for somewhere else you can shoot other than that hand. Because what your hand really needs is probably just time to recover.

Hey OP! We would definitely like to be kept apprised of the situation as it unfolds so we know that you're okay, but at this point, it sounds like you may or may not have an infection at the injection site. The shitty thing is that all you can do is wait and watch at this point. Taking oral and topical analgesics for pain is appropriate, applying a hot compress will most likely help as well. I have had injection-related infections in the past that I was able to "self-treat" using these methods, but it's mostly a chance thing whether it will develop into abscess.

You should absolutely consult a doctor though. The smartest and safest thing would be to do it immediately. Give it a few hours and if it seems to be getting worse and not better, you really should act. You could lose your limb or you could have a slightly degrading emergency department interaction!