• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin detox using methadone

MadamHatter

Greenlighter
I'm going to rehab for the first time next Wed and trying to figure out what to expect, especially concerning detox. I have the option of methadone or subutex; I'm going with methadone cause I hate hate hate bupe. I just have no idea what to expect as far as level of discomfort and such... If anyone has used methadone to detox off H, I'd love to hear your experience.

ETA: I'm talking about 5 days of methadone only to detox, not maintenance

depends on your habit. ive had both. bupe detox and methadone detox and the bupe detox was easier. throw some clonidine in which is usually given as well and it shouldn't be too bad. id go with bupe over methadone. the one time I was in rehab detoxing off heroin with methadone is didn't feel like it lasted long enough, bupe lasted longer and was a more gentle wd. its going to suck either way, no doubt about it. but if you have a mild to moderate habit you shouldn't feel too much discomfort.

i've only used bupe to jump off but if i were to attend an inpatient detox i'd deff choose methadone like you as i find it so much more sedating - anxiety & insomnia through wd's is one of the hardest parts for me. ;done coupled with, as medicine cabinet mentioned, clonidine should be a nice sleepy/anxyliotic panacea
plus if you're a lucky girl you'll get some benzos chucked in for added measure (y)