• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin and respiratory problems

simco

Bluelight Crew
Hey, Bluelighters. I've been combing through old threads and have found info related to the question I have, but haven't been able to find anything spot on, so I hope it's cool if I start a new thread.

The short version is this: recently (for about the past 2 months), when I use heroin, I get some really nasty respiratory distress. It starts out almost like asthsma--wheezing and rasping, a few hours after the high wears off. Inevitably, the next day I wake up with a *horrible*, unproductive cough and find myself out of breath all day. I'm wondering: a) what changed? I used dope for about 3 years without this problem, and b) is there any way to avoid this, short of quitting altogether?

Now, a bit more detail. Though I won't argue that I'm not psychologically dependent on H, I've managed my habit so that I've never become physiologically addicted. i.e. no WDs. I typically use twice in a week, sometimes once. My gear is #4, and my preferred ROA is insufflated. I do occasionally IV it, but that's fairly rare. One way I keep my habit in check is that I weigh my doses carefully. Though quality of the dope obviously varies, I use a small amount: 50mg snorted, or about 20mg IV. I mention all this mainly to stress that in the scheme of things, I'm using less dope less often than many of my friends who don't have this problem. Oh, also: I've tried several sources, each with very different gear, thinking I might be allergic to some cut. But even very different gear gives the same result.

Other details... at first I assumed it must have to do with snorting. But I've found that I get the same issues if I bang it. In terms of complicating factors, I do use cannabis daily, though vaporized, not smoked. No other drugs. And no chronic health problems that I know of (except the drugs ;)).

I guess the remedy to this problem is to quit using. But that's easier said than done.

Which brings me back to the questions I asked above:
a) what changed? this has never been a problem for me before.
b) short of quitting, any ideas for how I might avoid the wheezing/coughing?

I know it doesn't sound like a huge deal in the scheme of things. But it's really bad, making it hard to interact with people etc.

Thanks in advance!

It's possible that, with insufflation being your ROA of choice, that gear and other cuts in the gear have been getting into your lungs. Or perhaps your body simply no longer likes heroin and developed an adverse reaction to it, same as people developing allergies to things they've never been allergic to before. Without seeing someone qualified to examine you there's really no telling what it could be though.

bumping this once... after that i'll leave it be.

meanwhile, thanks @shadow.

when i used to snort #4 heroin the same thing used to happen to me, the breathing coughing and wheezing got so bad at one point i had to go to the doctors... they gave me an abuterol inhaler and when i would take hits from it, it would cure the coughing and wheezing instantly.

eventually when i switched over to IV the respiratory issues did come, but were not as intense and scary. And whenever I would have problems with my breathing I would use an inhaler and it cures it.

so I say to you get an asthma inhaler or quit snorting

hey guys,
since two or three weeks i got the same problem as described by simco. at first i thought it has to do with my venlafaxin withdrawal. respiratory distress is one of the described side effects that come with withdrawal. my psychiatrist confirmed this. btw she doesn't know that i'm a user.

usually i do heroin on the weekends. two days from morning to late night. i use since autumn 2014. to keep it short: i love this stuff. i got #3 most of the time. i snort it only no iv! i got addicted to kratom at first. must be winter 2013. at this time i wrote my bachelor thesis and spent weeks alone in the dark. it was wonderful. then i got really depressed. had issues to find a job. had issues to deal with my developing social anxiety. so one day i thought it would be time to upgrade myself and join the heroin game.
i must admit that it has some side effects. it seems that i have some issues with histamin. there were times when i spend my whole monday with migraine including a brutal session of vomiting the shit out of my body... it got better with loratadin. a antihistamin which works good for me. but sometimes when i get to high of dope even a high dose of loratadin can't save me from a following horrible day of migraine/vomiting.

well i'm used to it. somehow it's part of the game. it's worth... i love those dope days. i can fully act out my narcistic self which is usually locked up by depression and anxiety...
the respiratory distress is new to me. at first i thought the dope was cut. but the dope is good although some residues in my nose. i had #3 that left no resideus and got me a great high. then i thought the respiratory distress can be a side effect of my histamin intolerance. i researched and there was some information about the relation of respiratory distress and histamin intolerance.

sunday night was really bad. it was very hard to breath. i was thinking about calling an ambulance. loratadin didn't help. later i got panic so i did xanax. i tried to avoid the xanax since i was on heroin and lyrica.

so... what will happen? i have no idea.
@simco: how are you today? still got issues with respiratory distress?

thanks for the reading guys