Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.org/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
Anyone see this yet?

Written and directed by Spike Jonze
Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, and Scarlett Johansson

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

"Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) is a lonely, introverted man who writes personal love letters for people with difficulties expressing their feelings. Unhappy because of his impending divorce from his childhood sweetheart Catherine (Rooney Mara), Theodore purchases a talking operating system with artificial intelligence, designed to adapt and evolve like a human being. He decides he wants the OS to have a female identity, and she names herself "Samantha" (Scarlett Johansson). Theodore is fascinated by her ability to learn and grow psychologically, and they bond over their discussions about love and life..."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)
(has spoilers)

-----------------------

Fascinating. It was challenging, and inspiring of thought about the way we're going, with augmented reality, artificial intelligence, interactivity, and possible machine consciousness. Issues dealing with how will we really know the machine is conscious... is it just clever trickery? Is it just reading and responding based on it's programming? Is it simply programmed to feel authentic, to us? Will it fool us? Will we (be able to) fall in love with machines, and will they love us back? Will they really be conscious? Is anyone else conscious? Are we also programmed, some way? Where does consciousness begin? Can it emerge from an artificial system?

I'm not sure what to say about it. I definitely recommend seeing it, though. It reflects our times, and the potential not-to-distant future, where it takes place.

Last edited:
I caught myself shaking my head, don't get me wrong. But it was definitely inspiring, and I found myself saying, "now wait a minute...", giving second looks into what made me shake my head.

I don't think I could fall in love with a computer, or really engage with one the way the actors do in this, but I guess, I don't know. If programmers approached a system in a way, setting it up with the ingredients to grow and learn, organically, I guess I can see consciousness eventually emerging from such a system. I don't think that machine consciousness, if it ever occurs, will happen out of a direct action of a human, directing it into being... I think it will be more of a nudging, and almost a surprise, to us, possibly.

I felt reflection in it. I say I couldn't fall in love with a computer, but I might already be in love with a computer- The universe.

Like Samantha in the movie says, to Theodore, about us all being simply "matter" (energy), and we're all about 13 billion years old, at least. We're all one with it. It may seem a stretch, but it's really not.

Last edited:
loved it. thought the idea was so well executed and original, it made this sort of future seem believable and perhaps even inevitable. joaquin phoenix did a terrific job.

the film received three Golden Globe nominations: Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Screenplay and Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, winning one for Best Screenplay

i can't be the only one confused as to why this is in the "comedy" category am i ?

i can't be the only one confused as to why this is in the "comedy" category am i ?

I can't be the only one that laughs hysterically when I see the trailers. It's about a guy falling in love with his ipad. I'm still waiting for the energizer bunny to march across the screen.

(hopefully that reference still makes sense)

Just so it doesn't seem like I'm troll, there's something really perverse and degenerate and just plain wrong about this concept. Humans must not become romantically attached to non-humans. It feels like bestiality. It feels that if everyone were to begin to behave this way, fire would fall from the sky, and we'd be grateful for the fire.

I never thought about it like that. I wouldn't say I am easily process it as bestiality. Beasts are only being taken advantage of by humans. This machine consciousness dreamt of in this movie seems to surpass our own, even going "higher" in the end. This what is implied... But even if there is intelligence involved, and definitely a certain kind of "consciousness", it was never really proven to me that the machine intelligence was really "conscious" like I seem to be. Hell, I really don't have proof that anyone else is conscious in the way I seem to be.

I have seen in my own life, seemingly at least, that levels of consciousness seem even higher in the unconscious. How order develops out of seeming disorder, or chaos. So I guess at the very least, I accept that I can't know these things fully about others, I can only assume. And I feel its best to assume that consciousness is on some level, possibly, ever present in our universe. And order.

And I guess, with that, I might treat myself and other things as an extension of this conscious, yet largely unconscious (my limitation with words)/unaware process of an inevitable "one". That I might look for my mind outside.

In a way falling in love with one of these computers, or anyone, is like loving yourself. I think an engagement with machine consciousness could be beneficial, but also should be taken with a little salt, perhaps. An exploration into our "deeper" selves.

However, I sort of agree that romantic attachment seems a bit goofy. But I imagine it could become a challenge. It might be like falling in love with an alien. Or might be like falling in love with our children. Maybe both.

I don't think anything will be able to replace human-human connection, but will we some day merge to some greater degree with some hyperintelligent/aware/sentient "thing"?

Maybe we already are. Maybe we always have been.

I'm left to wonder, after the movie. Any movie about intelligent machines... But this one challenges a little closer, in ways.

Last edited:
Film: her

I did a search on this and was surprised that I couldn't find an existing thread. Maybe I missed it.

"Her" is a science-fiction flick written and directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation., Bad Grandpa, & Where The Wild Things Are). starring Joaquin Phoenix (in a career best performance), Amy Adams, Chris Pratt & that annoying ditzy blonde bitch from Don Jon and Lost in Translation. Forgotten her name.

While the subject matter (virtual retlationships) has been covered before, it has never been explored so precisely.

It's a timely film, crammed with subtext and social commentary.

It's sad. It's hilarious. And it's fucking disturbing.

(5 stars)

((I cannot criticize a masterpiece.))

I think it's his story of "Lost in Translation" from what I've come across

I still haven't peeped it yet (I hear there's a phone scene I would enjoy, though)

Just so it doesn't seem like I'm troll, there's something really perverse and degenerate and just plain wrong about this concept. Humans must not become romantically attached to non-humans. It feels like bestiality. It feels that if everyone were to begin to behave this way, fire would fall from the sky, and we'd be grateful for the fire.

Have you even tried dating? Do you understand how terrible the whole process is? People can be fucking awful and relationships are some of the most potent vampire soul draining ....

I might try watching this with a positive attitude. Certainly some pieces of cardboard and Ipads have more personality than some men and women.

I voted 2 stars. It starts off really well but in the end it goes to shit. It brings a very interesting concept and question, and does so in a skilfull way. However it loses its touch in the end.