Henry Rollins

StoneHappyMonday

Bluelighter
I see the former Black Flag man is touring Australia. Meanwhile he's plastered all over Tottenham Court Road tube station in Calvin Klein underwear adverts. No worries, in the 90's he did Gap adverts. And possibly Apple Mac too.

Kill yourself Henry. "They've taken away the ability to monetise my music". Monetise your music?

Wanker.

I hope everyone going down the escalators in central London draws little willies on your little willy.

My girlfriend bought me a ticket to see him "speak" tomorrow night.
I dislike the guy, and find him a sanctimonious macho man.

Funny that he's doing commercials for Calvin Klein.
I saw Jello Biafra do "spoken word" back in about 2001 and he was great.
I never thought that much of Rollins' music to begin with.

I saw him perform a spoken word stand up presentation decades ago. Tickets were extremely cheap, it was in a tiny venue, and he did his thing for about 2 hours.

Some of it was amusing and funny. Other stuff was pointless. He did not sing any black flag songs. Someone asked to see his large tattoo on his back and he refused.

I've never really paid that much attention to him before or after seeing him.

I met him and he's very short or just average height, and friendly but if you're doing something he does not like he'll flat out tell you to stop or ignore you. He did this to someone who tried to monopolize the conversation when other people were waiting just to say hi to him after the show.

My girlfriend bought me a ticket to see him "speak" tomorrow night.
I dislike the guy

haha why did she buy you a ticket to see someone you dislike? Did you piss her off? How was he this time? Ive never liked his music, his voice hurts my ears ugh! But I like listening to his spoken word stuff. I like when he rants. He has an opinion on EVERYTHING. I would NOT want to see him in an underwear ad tho...thats just not right...

I suppose saying "i dislike the guy" is unfair; i have listened to a lot of his spoken word stuff - and it is probably better to say "i have mixed feelings".
She bought me a ticket because she's an awesome girl - but also because she wanted me to go along with her and her friend, we're both into punk rock (whatever that means these days!).
It was sweet of her - it was more that she wanted me to see how entertaining his spoken word act is in person.

I'm glad i went, but to be honest i think he's running out of things to talk about (i'd heard most of the anecdotes before...) - and he made a bizarre assumption that his audience was made up of people in their 20s and 30s - and made a specific point about that - but looking around, i'd say most of the audience was probably over 40.

His demographic is aging with him (at least from the scan of the people lining up, watching, then leaving the show afterwards, that i saw.
That is irrelevant to me in any other circumstance - but he made some pretty age-ist remarks about older people and conservatism which i think are just false.
These comments were in relation to a political point he seemed to want to make - but in doing so, he showed how little he actually knew about the current political climate in Australia....whilst sort of "preaching to the converted" - which i found a bit irritating.

I saw Jello Biafra do a spoken word show some time around 2001 i think.
It was really excellent; informed, informative and inspiring.

He's got nothing on jello (as a frontman, performer or "spoken word artist")
Maybe an unfair comparison, but the closest thing i can compare Rollins' spoken word act to.
A few other punk rockers do "spoken word" - Excene (spelling?) from X is another...
But i dunno; it's Henry's main gig these days.
I'm a big fan of Jello Biafra - and he still plays (good) music.

Rollins doesn't - and personally i think his spoken word shows would be a lot more interesting if he did.
Hank spoke a lot about himself, his past - and bands he's seen.
His political stuff was kind of shallow, kind of blunt and lacking freshness.

His message is sort of "don't be shy - just get up there and do it!" - which is part of the whole punk rock ethos - but it saddens me to see "punk" become something of a nostalgia trip - especially when his target - and intended (or assumed) audience is so young.

I wouldn't say i hated it, or that i thought it was crap...but i'm a chronic insomniac who never falls asleep watching movies or anything - and there were honestly times where i had to sit up straight, open my eyes up wide and take some deep breaths to stop me falling asleep. I nearly nodded off a couple of times - and no, i wasn't stoned!

It's not the format of his performances - i quite enjoy so-called "spoken word" performances by musicians, and i'm no stranger to "lecture circuit" shows; i'm the kind of guy that goes to writer's festivals to see my favourite writers speak, as well as activists and politicians (i've been to listen to a range of lecture/speaking type events from novelists like DBC Pierre to political radicals like Angela Davis to former politicians and even an ex-Australian Prime Minister).

But i personally think Rollins has been out of the music game for too long; his content is getting stale.

As a musician myself, i don't necessarily hold it against artists for "selling out", or lending their music/face/muscular body to advertisements (as much as part of me hates it) - because i know how tough it is for even some of the most legendary musical performers in the world at the moment to make a living from their music.

I've spent time with plenty of big name bands backstage, and have a lot of friends and acquaintances who are "big" in their respective musical fields - and it's a fucking hard slog.
Frankly, it's often really sad to smoke a joint backstage with your heroes when you see that they have to put up with the same degrading bullshit that the rest of us folks in bands contend with (sometimes worse, because life on the road isn't as glamourous for rock'n'roll bands as it's hyped to be - especially for more "underground" artists or people with a cult following).

I'm sure what i said doesn't apply for people like Taylor Swift - but basically there is not a whole lot of money to be made in the music 'industry' any more).

I don't hate Rollins and i didn't have a bad evening listening to him do his thing. I'm glad i went.
But i personally think there other old punks that do it better - and that he himself has lost some of his edge. But you get that.

I'd still rather go see Jello Biafra (in spoken word mode, or whatever band he's touring with. I saw Jello Biafra with "The Guantanamo School of Medicine" a couple of years ago (maybe a decade after i saw him do his "spoken word" bit - and it was fucking excellent).

Each to their own, i guess. But yeah; i didn't come away a Rollins convert. He has his moments, but i guess i was never that much into his music to begin with. :)

Last edited:
Saw Jello with Guantanamo Bay and also saw the Dead Kennedy's without Jello. Both were excellent. Saw Jello do spoken word a decade or so ago too, he talked for 3 hours and was just awesome.

I dont mind Henry. I respect why he is no longer performing music as he doesn't want to be an old man singing the angry songs of his youth. He is a pretty insightful dude. I also love his affection for my favorite band Bad Brains. They were responsible for him deciding to join a band after seeing one of their early gigs and being shoved to the floor while a screaming HR spat lyrics at him like a machine gun. I dig that. But i get why people are not Henry fans.

I fucking hate him. Every interview hes ever done he has been a complete asshole. His small-dicked macho attitude and all the coffee shop intellectual bullshit annoys the hell out of me. He was (at most) the third best BF front man. His spoken word is unoriginal and boring, and as spacejunk said, not even in the same universe as Biafra's.

^ bahahaha.
Love it :)

Here are two prime examples of why i don't particularly like Rollins:
[video=youtube_share;gH-M8Ixphxw]http://youtu.be/gH-M8Ixphxw[/video]
^ some of the most ignorant, shallow and sexist perspectives on drugs going around.
If you wanna talk about looks, how's Keith Richards looking these days? Pretty fucking good for a man of his age - especially one with his history of drug use that still smokes fucking cigarettes.
[video=youtube_share;AyRDDOpKaLM]http://youtu.be/AyRDDOpKaLM[/video]

...because drugs had/have nothing to do with the history (or origins) of rock'n'roll? Right.
Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard never took speed, coke or alcohol. Uh huh.
I really hate the whole "rock" vs "dance music" bullshit dualism. It's often just extreme narrow-mindedness in my opinion.
Yeah, i like rock music and get into it more than electronica - it doesn't mean i can't - and don't - enjoy both.

Those kind of attitudes get on my nerves. It's bad enough when i hear friends or acquaintences say shit like that - but coming from some guy you've paid money to go see? Irritating.

(Yet, he often mentions Iggy Pop's [well-earned] reputation as a once prodigious drug-user in glowing terms - like, as if it was an impressive part of his act. Hypocritical, macho bullshit in my opinion)

I have nothing against people that advocate living drug-free. Some of my best friends don't take any sort of intoxicating substances, and i admire anyone who makes a choice about how they want to live their lives and get on with it.
But i also admire the fact that they don't ever tell me i should do the same.

Rollins often talks about his working-class roots, working in an ice-cream shop for a shitty minimum wage or whatever - and how he took the great risk (that paid off) of joining Black Flag and going on the road, and throwing in his job in the process.
That's all well and good, but it's kind of an empty message to go touring around the world on, for at least two reasons;
One - he got lucky, and it simply isn't possible for most people to be faced with such a choice - or given such an opportunity.
Secondly - there's no living to be made playing music. Most bands are lucky to break even on a tour.
A lot of bands make a loss on tours - but it's good for exposure, making fans, meeting people, selling some records and t-shirts and (most of importantly!) having fun.
But it's hard work - often quite degrading, as much as i love it.

Put simply - playing rock'n'roll isn't a career option anymore (if it ever was). That's why all these old bands have reformed in the last ~15 odd years; even the biggest recording artists still have to play live to make money, because royalties alone don't pay the bills.

I doubt Bob Dylan has much of a shortage of cash - but even he did a fucking tv commercial last year.
Does he owe a lot in alimony or something? Who knows? But it's interesting, which is why i don't necessarily have a problem with artists doing that kind of shit.
Personally, i wouldn't make an ad for a company that made weapons or ran sweatshops or other sorts of unethical shit.
But if i had the chance to make a living off of my art - hell yeah, i'd take it.
Following your dreams doesn't always keep a roof above your head or food in your belly.
Henry Rollins would know this as well as anyone.
That's why he does these increasingly uninspiring spoken word tours. He needs the bread.

Besides people who specifically make music for advertising, compose tv/film scores or somehow get lucky to record something that gets a major break - the massive majority of working musicians make little money.

I've been signed to overseas labels, toured, recorded and played more gigs than i could ever remember. But the money's no good (to quote the Stranglers). I still have a day job - as do friends of mine that have gold records on the walls of their tiny rented apartments.

Sure, i also know people that do make music thei career and source of income, doing soundtracks, jingles or whatever.
And i respect that - it takes a lot of business nous to do that (and no disrespect or jealousy on my part towards people that make commercial music, in any sense of the world (i plan to do more film scores and soundtrack work myself).

But the point is - it's a shitty thing to go around preaching to kids.
Especially if you're making a career out of it. To me it seems to disprove the point that sort of idealism is always going to pay off. Sometimes it will, most of the time it doesn't (which obviously is no reason not to do either btw)
Yes - it is perfectly good advice to recommend people follow your dreams
But I think jello's classic "don't just hate the media - be the media" was far more enlightened use of the punk message of channelling your aggression into something positive.

Hell, one of John Lydon's best lines, right there - anger is an energy. At least he has the art of self-mockery down to a fucking art.

Johnny Rotten, flogging butter on TV commercials. Genius =D

Last edited:
He's pretty fake and his views change daily. Or at least he says one thing and does another I've noticed. Comes off as very insecure as well.

Like the way he treats this kid.

^ yeah that video is classic Rollins. A few things he says makes sense but the way he's trying to intimidate the kid who was only trying to get him to say a few words was ridiculous. I doubt he would have acted the same if the kid was 10 years older and put on about 50 pounds.

YESSS I’ve seen Rollins Spoken Word twice in Melbourne :D The man is one of my all-time heroes.