• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Hemp-Derived Cannabidiol (CBD)?

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
I just ordered a vial of CBD solution from an online vendor. They claim it's legal in all 50 states because it contains no THC and comes from industrial hemp. CBD has many health benefits, such as fighting inflammation, nausea, psychosis and anxiety.

However, there's some major debate about whether the "legal" CBD products from hemp are as good as those made from high-CBD cannabis strains like Charlotte's Web. There are indeed many shady MLM brands shilling for these products, but there are a few legit looking companies too.

Has anyone tried hemp-derived CBD products? What doses did you use? I'd like to know how the hemp-derived stuff compares to the CBD sold in dispensaries. (Not sure if we can discuss brand names here, but if so I'd like to know which brand you used).

Gracias! <3

:( I subscribed to this thread, as I too am interested in the pain relieving properties (if any) of CBD oil. I'm desperate for relief of chronic pain. The trial opiates prescribed through PM are causing even more problems, as they further exacerbate constipation.

I actually tried to smoke Indica this past weekend for the first time in my life. That was a disgusting experience, as I knew I'd hate smoking of any kind. My parents were chain smokers of tobacco. I despise even the thought of breathing smoke. The MJ did nothing for my pain...just made me giggly and shit faced for a couple of hours. I can't function that way. I need true pain relief.

:) I hope someone chimes in...good, bad or indifferent about CBD oil. Good luck!

I've wondered the same thing myself, although I've never tried and have little purpose for CBD oil alone.

It is a concentrate and part of me says CBD is CBD regardless of where it came from, but at the same time I've smoked many different kinds of concentrates and the end product is often times highly dependent upon what you began with. The better the product that you begin making the concentrate with(ex: high grade nug run of oil/wax/shatter as compared with starting with trim), but often times nug runs are so ridiculously over priced that the quality in which they are better does not match the increase in price.

That is to say that IMO, there is a high chance that the quality will be better when derived from higher quality source products but there is a good chance that above a certain standard or grade you will be paying out the ass and spending much more than what it is actually worth. Much like wine or alcohol, you can reach a certain standard that is economical but still attain better results yet the amount of money spent beyond this point might not offer and return for your investment.

Well, on some level CBD IS CBD but there are a lot of key differences you are going to have between CBD oil made from hemp vs. CBD oil made from high-CBD flowers. CBD is present in hemp in such small amounts that there must be some kind of chemical extraction process, which is going to affect your end product. These oil companies aren't regulated in any way (and a lot of them give me a kind of sketchy vibe) so there's really no way to tell how your product was made, and what weird chemicals might still be present in it. An oil made from high-CBD flowers is also going to have other cannabinoids and terpenes present that will have a synergistic affect with CBD. Even in strains like Charlotte's Web or ACDC that are almost all CBD, I think this is still important.

It's a shame everyone doesn't have access to high-CBD cannabis, because besides these reasons for that being a better option, the CBD oils sold online are really expensive when you compare it to the amount of CBD you'd get just buying some flowers... and CRAZY expensive compared to just growing your own. Probably two reasons for this: 1. the extraction process required to get highly concentrated CBD out of hemp is probably long and complicated. 2. these companies know that most people do not have safe legal access to high-CBD cannabis, and are exploiting this fact. All in all the hemp CBD oil sold on-line seems pretty sketch to me, but I know a lot of people don't really have other options. Since I have the good fortune to live in Oregon I'm gonna do my part as best I can and keep growing CBD strains and giving away as many clones as I can :D

My GF uses it when there's too much menstrual cramps.
I use it to be more at ease.

It does *not* get you high.

:( I subscribed to this thread, as I too am interested in the pain relieving properties (if any) of CBD oil. I'm desperate for relief of chronic pain. The trial opiates prescribed through PM are causing even more problems, as they further exacerbate constipation.

I actually tried to smoke Indica this past weekend for the first time in my life. That was a disgusting experience, as I knew I'd hate smoking of any kind. My parents were chain smokers of tobacco. I despise even the thought of breathing smoke. The MJ did nothing for my pain...just made me giggly and shit faced for a couple of hours. I can't function that way. I need true pain relief.

:) I hope someone chimes in...good, bad or indifferent about CBD oil. Good luck!

CBD won't really help you. You need THC or another cannabinoid. THC is what reduces pain. CBD is mostly bullshit. I agree: smoking or vaporizing almost everything is pretty damn stupid. I would make full-spec cannabinoid capsules or liquid cannabinoid solution. You can start from a pre-made extract or do it yourself. I would recommend BHO, PHO or CO2 oil. Once you have oil, you have two options: purify or decarboxylate and use as-is. You can decarb by heating the oil for 250F. This oil can then be used as-is (capsules or solution) or purified. To purify it, first dissolve the oil in an excess of dry EtOH or IPA. Filter and discard any insolubles. Then you're going to wash that product with water. Fill a flask with a large excess of water and heat to 200F while swirling. Allow water to cool. Filter out the insolubles. Discard excess water and dry off the extract.

CBD won't really help you. You need THC or another cannabinoid. THC is what reduces pain. CBD is mostly bullshit.
You don't really do any research do you?

CBD has been a leading cannabinoid in medical marijuana.

here's just ONE example:

You don't really do any research do you?

CBD has been a leading cannabinoid in medical marijuana.

here's some irrelevant garbage
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. This so-called "medical marihuana" is a sham. What the hell does this mean: "CBD has been a leading cannabinoid in medical marijuana."? What do you even mean by "medical marihuana"? Maybe you should take a little while to actually learn about the drugs you use before spouting nonsense about them.

Marihuana is a drug that has recreational, entheogenic and medical uses. Marihuana has some compounds in it that are psychoactive. These include THC and THCV. It also has some compounds that are not psychoactive. These include CBD and its relatives. Marihuana is NOT a cure for all problems. The person who I am responding to is asking about using marihuana to treat chronic pain. THC and other psychoactive cannabinoids in marihuana can treat chronic pain. CBD or any non-psychoactive cannabinoid will not help with chronic pain.

Last edited:
I keep trying to post, but get "error" indicator. I will try again later. I've had an especially shitty day. :!

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. This so-called "medical marihuana" is a sham. What the hell does this mean: "CBD has been a leading cannabinoid in medical marijuana."? What do you even mean by "medical marihuana"? Maybe you should take a little while to actually learn about the drugs you use before spouting nonsense about them.
Charlotte's Web is strain developed for the girl in the video. It's a strain with 20% CBD.

Many medical patients in Colorado still use today. Have you even tried it?

It's pretty fucking good for inflammation and even pain.

Charlotte's Web is strain developed for the girl in the video. It's a strain with 20% CBD.

Many medical patients in Colorado still use today. Have you even tried it?

It's pretty fucking good for inflammation and even pain.

That strain of marihuana is a high-CBD strain. It is meant for people that need CBD for medical reasons. CBD can treat seizures and is an anti-inflamatory, like ibuprofen. It is not something that is effective at treating chronic pain that would usually be treated with opioids. Only THC can do that.

That strain of marihuana is a high-CBD strain. It is meant for people that need CBD for medical reasons. CBD can treat seizures and is an anti-inflamatory, like ibuprofen. It is not something that is effective at treating chronic pain that would usually be treated with opioids. Only THC can do that.
Neither CBD nor THC will touch the pain relieving properties of opioids because neither are opioids.

However, if a patient can get away with using a high CBD strain for their pain over an opioid, all the more to power to them because it's going to be a lot less damaging. Everyone has different medical needs.

How is that a "sham"?

I'm not the OP, but I am interested in PAIN RELIEF. My body is a train wreck from traumatic injuries and disease, followed by multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. I won't go into detail, because A.) I lost a long post twice last night here B.) My Wiki-length story can be searched if anyone's interested in helping me.

My pain is pretty much constant in spine/joints/belly/pelvic/vaginal/rectal...Whew! What's not hurting, huh?

I don't know science and chemistry. I'm an architect, so I lean to the creative side of the equation. I'm tired of "reading" and trying to "research". I need those who KNOW their opiates/cannabis to advise me. Is there a detour around the entire cluster fuck of what is considered "pain management" OR are opiates my only option?

I am prescribed Oxycodone, but am determined to stay at low doses because I will be in PM forever (or not). My GI issues are screaming...WHY continue this barbaric suffering?

Yes, I'm screwed. Cannabis is not legal in my state. I got some last week and smoked it for the first time in my life. I won't do that again. I hate smoking (personally) of any kind. I've read of capsules and tinctures, but my mind is tired and my body is weary. I cannot afford to be chasing expensive rainbows down in DIXIE.

BASIC QUESTION: I need a basic, simple answer. How can I sample product without huge investment? I've been told to drive across country where it's legal, as if for a "wine tasting".

Fuck! :! I'm not made of money. I have a demanding career, as does my husband. There's gotta be an easier way.

I've been told to grow my own medicinal plant. Fuck! :! I can't even grow a yeast infection. I'm afraid I know the answers, but I'm determined, so I ask yet again. How can I know until I try? How can I try if I don't have access? How can I get access? Can I afford it?

We, like little Charlotte's parents...have tried everything to find just a little relief for me. I need for better or forget it.

Last edited:
there's still no medical concensus on the efficacy of CBD-based treatment (re: seizures)

Dr. Orrin Devinsky, a researcher at New York University's Langone Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, has done a safety study on the use of an extract of cannabidiol.

Devinsky looked at the daily seizure logs of 137 patients, most of them children, who took a drug called Epidiolex — a purified form of CBD — for three months.

The number of seizures decreased by an average of 54 per cent from the beginning of the study to the end, Devinsky reported last month at an American Academy of Neurology conference.

However, he cautioned that there's no way to tell how much of the seizure reduction was due to the placebo effect in which the person's condition improves because they expect the drug to work.

Similar research by Dr. Kevin Chapman of the University of Colorado recently raised similar questions. Chapman checked records of 58 young patients who used various types of CBD oils and found less than a third reported a significant seizure drop.

Richard Wennberg, a neurologist at Toronto Western Hospital and a professor at the University of Toronto, agrees that the placebo effect is higher in epilepsy trials compared to many other treatment trials.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ileptic-daughter-with-marijuana-oil-1.3068592

p.s. the Supreme Court has ruled in favour of oil legality for MMJ patients since this article was published

Yes, I'm screwed. Cannabis is not legal in my state. I got some last week and smoked it for the first time in my life. I won't do that again. I hate smoking (personally) of any kind. I've read of capsules and tinctures, but my mind is tired and my body is weary. I cannot afford to be chasing expensive rainbows down in DIXIE.

BASIC QUESTION: I need a basic, simple answer. How can I sample product without huge investment? I've been told to drive across country where it's legal, as if for a "wine tasting".

That's a tough situation to be in. If you have access to some form of bud locally then what you could do is reduce it to hash oil with the QWISO method (simple stuff) and create a tincture mixing that with high-proof liquor. There is also the option of making a small edibles dose by simmering a half gram to a gram (it takes some experimentation, the threshold for effects differs from person to person) of chopped bud in oil until it starts frothing and then immediately straining the oil, mixing it into some food and consuming it. If you try that on an empty stomach the effects should be noticeable within the hour.

Those are the two easiest ways I know of sampling the herb without smoking or vaping it. However, buying cannabis off a street dealer always comes with the usual risks in addition to being exposed to the poor quality control of commercial bud (bud could be sickly, mould may be present, trace amounts of fertilizer chemicals may end up on the bud) and you have no options about strain type and THC or CBD levels.

More research needs to be done with all of the hemp and cannabis plant imo.

When you smoked for the first time did it do help your condition at all, enough to not need the oxy? If it did, it's worth pursuing other ROAs if smoking isn't your thing. You can make your own ISO hash with your weed and then cook with it or cook with it directly.

Fuck! :! I'm not made of money. I have a demanding career, as does my husband. There's gotta be an easier way.

I've been told to grow my own medicinal plant. Fuck! :! I can't even grow a yeast infection.
lol growing isn't for everyone don't worry about it.

Dixi I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like a very frustrating situation.

I'd think cannabis could potentially help - I think you're on the right track with wanting to take it orally rather than smoke. It's probably better for treating most chronic health conditions.

I'd recommend trying to get a good mix of CBD and THC. Most strains you are going to find are very high in THC and very low in CBD. Generally indica strains are a bit higher in CBD, but still very low compared to special "high-CBD" strains. Those are still somewhat of a new thing though, and pretty hard to find on the black market, especially outside of the west coast/Colorado. One possible way to get the mix would be to make some kind of edibles or tincture from whatever cannabis you can find locally, and then take that along with one of the hemp-derived CBD products you can buy online legally.