L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Helping boyfriend with fear of opening up? -need guys perspective

Zuzia 0

Greenlighter
Little back story and please refrain from judgment i just think this is something you need to know to really give me your opinion on him. I recently found that my boyfriend responds to craigslist ads there are no conversations he just responds and thats it.i confronted him and he was crying and i knew he felt bad for hurting me but i didnt give myself enough time to process it before this talk so i approached it wrong and after this talk i still had questions and was still just as hurt and confused and brought it up again this time more serious but also less acting on emotion and more having a serious discussion.

This time i think it really hit him because i said it was done we couldnt fix it. He agreed and apologized for the pain, he also begin assuring me that it was about me and that it wasnt about meeting these people it was sort of like a fantasy escape when hes alone with his thoughts. And that he has an issue that he cant forgive himself for walking out on a relationship that took away his chance at being with his son 100%. Now this has nothing to do with the girl purely him being upset that another guy gets to put his son to bed and so on.and the guilt is what he needs to escape from. i told him i needed time to myself and he agreed he would try counseling (although it something he does not believe in at all) because he really does love me.

Im usually clingy so i guess at that point when i didnt talk to him all night it really hit him and he wanted to see me the next day i agreed to come for a little bit with boundaries . Once i got there is seemed to be really drunk he plopped down on the bed and just started saying sorry a bunch of times. And that nearly losing me made him have to face things he doesnt want to face in himself. Then he got talking and crying on how his son doesnt call him dad and how he sees the guy lifting his son up as soon as he drops him off and it kills him telling me how his ex moved on two weeks after their breakup and started telling him how good her new guy is with his son. He said i probably just thought of him as this big jerk for what he was doing to me and how i dont understand that it isnt about fucking other girls or me not making him happy its about him having to do something so he isnt alone with his thoughts. Then i started to ask him if he wants to stop doing these things he said maybe now that i know maybe i can understand and help because he hasnt told any of this to anyone not even his family. He said that he has all these feelings for me but he cant tell them to me because then i can hold it against him i can throw it back at him if we fight i can hurt him. He said he needs to ask himself if his fear of being "weak" to me by sharing his feelings is stronger than the love he has for me. Then i guess things occurred to him and he said that we need to break up now because i saw him being vulnerable and im going to use it against him i tried assuring him that im not evil i dont try to break people down but he had his mind made up but he didnt walk away he told me he loved me and didnt want to lose this.

Now asking the guys how do i help him because since then hes actually brought up that i know this stuff saying things like" things wont be different now that you know all this stuff about me" or " i hate that you sit there thinking you have me all figured out now" (although this seems bad i think its good that he acknowledges i know this yet doesnt walk out )i dont really have him figured out but truth is it doesnt matter what i say he told me we dont need couples counseling but he needs it hes just to pridefull to get it.

At this point im not sure what to do i know i probably shouldnt bring these things up myself to him and let him come out when hes ready but im worried that then he wont progress that he wont open up to me and i need him to at some point because right now its a hard time for me too to feel secure and good but i dont wanna push him and make him close up again so how do i make him feel safe with me how do i help him continue what he started by opening up a bit because i know the alcohol helped but he started telling me before he was drunk so there is something there something tells him to feel safe also i dont know if im being stupid by allowing myself to stay knowing what he has done but i believe in him and that he wants to change this and so i guess im taking the risk because no matter what ill be fine eventually and those feelings hes keeping from me is love that i deserve and i think its worth the try. Ive already seen some progress he been wanting to see me more often and actually did a very thoughtful gift for valentines day so i see alot of good signs here which tell me im on the right path but im still very confued by him and worried ill make him close off again please give me a guys point of view on what i can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might get more responses if you put in some paragraphs. A huge block of text is difficult to read.

How long ago did he split up from his ex with the kid? I guess it is quite recent as he seems pretty emotionally fragile. I guess if you feel he is worth it give it a go but it's hard to make a man talk if he doesn't want to.

Last edited:
Its been two years since they split but the divorce was being finalized the week all this happend which is why i think its so hard on him now.

I can empathise with what the guy is going through seeing another man be like a dad for his kid, I can sort of see how messaging random women would be a way of trying to cope with this. It's a bad way of dealing with his feelings though. He sounds like he has got a lot of stuff to work through.

Thanks for that its kinda been a stuggle trying to understand how that helps but i cant put myself in his shoes about the situation with his son or how guys deal with things. I kept going back and forth between thinking im justifying his actions to much or not being understanding enough so thanks alot for replying.

I can empathise with what the guy is going through seeing another man be like a dad for his kid, I can sort of see how messaging random women would be a way of trying to cope with this. It's a bad way of dealing with his feelings though. He sounds like he has got a lot of stuff to work through.

yea, really.

sounds like dude has to come to terms with his choice to walk away from his son. it's one thing to carry that guilt and another thing entirely to drag the people who want to be in your life into that despair. he sounds like a decent person otherwise but that could just be a subconscious way of compensating for a hidden bad nature. whether you can accept the worst of him is another thing entirely but either way he's not going to be honest with you until he's honest with himself first.

Yeah i agree with you i know he doesnt do it on a personal level and i do believe he is a good person but he really shouldnt be doing it and is going about it the wrong way but its his way he does need to face it and some time down the road if he doesnt then i cant stick around forever being dragged down i know that. Its why i want do what i can now to be there for him if he does find it in him to face it and move on from it. Thanks for responding.

Didn't you post this before? Please don't repost the same thing. Next time, I'll just merge the threads. Same response: Wait until he actually goes to counseling. Or better question, what answer are you looking for?