• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help With Taper Schedule????????!!!!!!!!!

newbeginnings2015

Greenlighter
I am new here and this is my first time posting. So bear with me if I am posting in the wrong place. A little of my history...I am 34 years old and am currently trying to get my life back on track. I was addicted to hydrocodone for 3 years and like many others, it started with a legitimate pain issue. For the first year and a half I took the pills as prescribed, and for the next year and a half I increased my dosage more and more, and it was downhill from there. As my tolerance increased, my usage increased. At my max I was up to 150 mgs a day. In January of 2014 I decided I was done with the pills. I had a few weeks between jobs and quit cold turkey. I was niave to the whole withdrawal process, did what I thought was enough research on the subject, got me a bottle of vitamins and immodium, and we all know how this turned out...sick as a dog for the next 2 weeks. Had no clue what I was in for but all I can say is WOW! 8o I don't know what I was thinking going that route, but I guess it was something I had to go through. I thought nothing could be worse than praying to the porcelan gods for a week until I learned what it felt like to go 2 weeks with no sleep. After 2 weeks of hell it got a little better everyday. It took about 90 days to start to feel normal. I was drug free until I was diagnosed with a tumor in my abdomen in December of 2014. I was put back on hydrocodone to control the pain, which was absolutely necessary. Knowing the horror of withdrawal I kept my doses low, only took as needed, and as doctor had prescribed. I had surgery in January of 2015. I continued the hydrocodone for several months after due to the pain and complications. In July of 2015 I decided yet again I had to get off the hydrocodone. At this time I was working a full-time job and being a single mom to 2 daughters. Not able to take time off from work or everyday responsibilities of caring for 2 girls that completely depend on you, I new I couldn't go cold turkey again. I was introduced to Methadone from a friend. I was scared of Methadone and all opiates at this point, so I never allowed myself to get above 15 mgs. I stayed on 15 mgs until November 2015 and decided to taper the Methadone. I got down to 5 mgs by mid December and then jumped off at 5 mgs 12 days ago. Thinking because I tapered for so long it would be uncomfortable but manageable. WRONG! :? I cannot take time from work or from being a full-time mom. By day 4 I was loosing my mind. I got some hydrocodone from a friend to ease the withdrawal from the methadone. I am up to 30 mgs a day at this point. I am absolutely dedicated to getting off of all pills! My questions are... should I wait another week to ease the methadone withdrawal and then start my hydrocodone taper? Or should I start the taper now? How should I do my taper schedule from this point? Just need some guidance and reassurance as to which direction to go. Any responses or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank You 8(

I think you should be good to go with the hydrocodone taper. While methadone does have a long half-life, now that you are 5 or 6 weeks out from taking it, you shouldnt have to worry about any withdrawal from it.

As far as the taper, I would take the 30mg for one more week and then step down by 5mg every week until you get to 5 mg daily and then jump off. But you need to listen to your body and if going down by the 5mg after only a week causes discomfort, extend the time between decreases to 10 days or 2 weeks or whatever you feel is right for you.