• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Help with Heroin withdrawal

Dzander

Greenlighter
I have quit about two years oxicodone use cold turkey and did good for about three weeks, came across some heroin at a party and snorted it, began purchasing it for about three weeks snorting the whole time, just quit yesterday (making today day two) and the withdrawals are terrible, especially the restless legs and lack of sleep. I purchased some otc legs meds and am trying to exercise. Can anyone give me anymore tips on what to do and how long I will be dealing with this.

You pretty much have to start again man with regards to withdrawal. You've kinda replaced a longer acting full agonist with a shorter acting one which is good as far as the length of time acute WD will last....i reckon it's always best to move to shorter acting opioids to come off oxy. Like oxy>morphine>codeine then taper that. It's always a bitch trying to taper with your DOC or drug of abuse. Morphine just doesn't have the push that oxycodone does, but it will hold you well and relieve pain ime.

Do you have access to suboxone? I would've tried to taper off the H, but then again, I think we all know how well that goes.. Hot showers will be your best friend. Make sure you stay hydrated too.

This is just a guess, but I'd say the acute symptoms will peak on 3rd or 4th day, and finally subside around the 7th or 8th day.

Ok so the gold standard will be a quick buprenorphine taper, the starting dose depending on your previous tolerance level.

Short of buprenorphine, some of my best lifelines during w/d are benzos (be careful, I fucked up and got myself dependent on Xanax doing this) for sleep, gabapentin (not sure by what mechanism but this and it's big bro phenibut kill 50% of w/d symptoms), clonidine (helps w/ hypertension), and of course cannabis (I prefer to eat my THC for the full sedative effect).

There are other drugs that will help u sleep too. I recently kicked my buprenorphine and alprazolam dependencies and had to use non-benzo, non-opioids so as to not defeat my own purpose. I found cyclobenzaprine (and by extension I'd venture to guess most muscle relaxants) and zolpidem to both be highly effective. Careful with those, especially the zolpidem. People have sleep-driven on that stuff.

Good luck.

Lope helps with diarrhea if its that bad, but you must read about it before using. Due to its habit forming properties. Vit. C in high doses as helped me in the past. It wont be very obvious but a study proved it supposedly helped with the symptoms. It has been used (with good results) for moderate w/ds.

The acute symptoms will last about a week. It seems like they won't end, but you'll steadily improve a little each day. After about a week, especially if you were eating right, you'll be pretty close to normal. You'll have energy again, you'll start sleeping better, the diarrhea will be gone, as will the chills, runny nose, RLS, etc. I always found the insomnia the worst part...

However, the real shitty part about quitting opiates(PAWS) is about to begin and that can last months.