Help with getting off these things

Enough999

Bluelighter
Background for context: For the past 4 months I was unsuccessfully using subs for a short term taper off dope. Finally got it right a couple of weeks ago, but was using Xanax the entire time. Tolerance has built from a quarter to stick to needing 4 through your the day (2 to sleep). Stopped taking them for a couple of days and thought I had the stomache flu until I noticed the shaking hands. After getting advice from some members I went to the ER where I was given IV Ativan and a script for a taper with .5mg tabs (3 2x a day for 2 days, then 2 2x a day for 2 days, then 1 2x a day for 2 days, then 1 for 2 days). I also still have Xanax left and can get more if necessary but I don't want to. Please. I am desperate for some guidance.

That taper they recommended is dangerous. Please see your general physician or psychiatrist and discuss getting diazepam for the taper as it is a much longer half life. Please refer to the Ashton's Manual for a safe taper. You can do serious and unpleasant neurological damage if you taper too quickly off of benzos which can take years to heal.

Be very careful. I was not a regular benzo user but a bad alcoholic. I had gotten 30 Xanax 1 mg and ate them in 3 days while drinking. I decided to stop drinking and had some moderate wd but I had 2 grand Mal seizures, the second one I was in the grocery store and landed on my head. I won't go into all that but I want to emphasize that it's not uncommon to have seizures from benzo wd and you likely won't even feel it coming. I met other addicts in rehab who had benzo wd seizures and they said they didn't feel any wd symptoms. So please educate yourself on this whole process and how benzo affect your brain and be careful!

The Ativan taper did nothing to stop the withdrawals. I can't find a psychiatrist in my network accepting new patients.

Since last post I've tapered from 8mg to 4.5 mg. I have a psy appt in 3 weeks. I have NOT SLEPT IN DAYS. I've tried exercise, meditation, Benadryl, etc. should I try kava kava? Unisom? Please help.

That's terrible that you have not gotten any sleep.I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal. I use it for sleep and it works very well (not every night so as not to build tolerance or develop a habit). Have you tried that?

Since last post I've tapered from 8mg to 4.5 mg. I have a psy appt in 3 weeks. I have NOT SLEPT IN DAYS. I've tried exercise, meditation, Benadryl, etc. should I try kava kava? Unisom? Please help.

Try getting melanotin tablets and taking them an hour before bed. They'll definitely help you sleep!