• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Help with extraction of coca leaves

Sleepcaballero

Greenlighter
Hi guys im sleepcaballero , im from a country of south america and im a typical every two weeks user of this dug, in this forum ive learnt too much about purification of this interesting alkaloid.

recently ive tried to isolate " cocaine " from fresh coca leafs from bolivia (actually pretty easy to buy them here )
ive tried 3 times to make the "extractión process" and 3 times failed cus im not a chemist actually hehe.
well, things i do go like this:
Cut leaves
Add warm water + lye to leaves
Add muriatic acid ( dont have access to sulfuric)
Add kerosene to separate layers
Isolate kerosene and make the extraction to "agua rica"
try to precipitate paste with some base and filter after 45 minutes,
here i fail cus just salt comes out nothing oily nothing like paste or something lol.

Please if someone know about this will be forever thankfully:

Can i do this with muriatic acid instead of sulfuric? sulfuric is ilegal here
how can i choose the base or make sure that i get a precipitation?
im very interested on learning but actually only have access to leafs, muriatic acid, kerosene , bases( only in salt forms , dont have access to ammonia)

Bye and thank you,
Sleepcaballero.

You need to extract the freebase with a solvent (kerosene) before adding an acid like muriatic to salt it. Also lye is too strong a base, you need a weaker base like sodium carbonate. If you can’t find it (washing soda) then you can make it by heating sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for some time in the oven.

-GC

You need to extract the freebase with a solvent (kerosene) before adding an acid like muriatic to salt it. Also lye is too strong a base, you need a weaker base like sodium carbonate. If you can’t find it (washing soda) then you can make it by heating sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for some time in the oven.

-GC

Heey its an honor having you here ive seen your knowledge in lot of posts G so thanks.

So:
i have to do the typical sodium carbonate with warm water to leaves
Then kerosene
Then muriatic acid
Anda add more sodium carbonate till pH 10?

Im Happy G that you said i can use muriátic
Do you know a good proportion of acid to use for a kilo of leaves (80 ml agua rica) ? thank you very much for the help.

Sleep

Always wanted to do this. Let us know how it goes.

@G_Chem would it theoretically be possible to make organic cocaine ? Using like d-limonine and some strong natural acid, and lime?

-GC
If he is just going for the paste shouldn't he be able to just use only kerosene then? Is it really that simple ?

Thanks for posting guys, will regroup my materials and do it. It works the same if i let sit kerosene with leaves for some hours or its better to let it for more days?

have you did it before?
Only dreamed of it since a kid....
But know I think i know that there is karsolenne somewhere in the process but didnt have time to investigate wtf was going on we had to leave as our target wasnt there or had just left ... remember?

Yeah G_chem is correct, the first 3 steps are wrong. An organic solvent is used to extract the freebase. Adding a strong acid will convert it to protonated cocaine (you'd end up with cocaine hydrochloride if you use HCl/muriatic or cocaine sulfate if you use sulfuric acid) which will stay in the aqueous phase.
I'd recommend getting some pH strips as well if you're going to attempt this again.

If he is just going for the paste shouldn't he be able to just use only kerosene then? Is it really that simple ?
A simple kerosene extraction would yield a pretty impure product, with a bunch of fats and other minor undesirable alkaloids (ecgonine, cinnamoylcocaine, etc...).

It usually goes something like this:
Leaf + base --Organic solvent --> freebase ---sulfuric acid--> cocaine sulfate ---oxidizer --> cocaine sulphate --base + organic solvent--> freebase.
Or:
Leaf ---sulfuric acid--> cocaine sulphate ---oxidizer --> cocaine sulfate --base + organic solvent--> freebase.

The resulting freebase can then be converted to powder cocaine by crystallizing/precipitating it in the right organic solvent in the presence of HCl.

The oxidation step gets rid of the remaining secondary alkaloids but it isn't a mandatory step (it's also used for aesthetic reasons as it improves the texture of the powder and gives it its characteristic white color).

Yeah G_chem is correct, the first 3 steps are wrong. An organic solvent is used to extract the freebase. Adding a strong acid will convert it to protonated cocaine (you'd end up with cocaine hydrochloride if you use HCl/muriatic or cocaine sulfate if you use sulfuric acid) which will stay in the aqueous phase.
I'd recommend getting some pH strips as well if you're going to attempt this again.

A simple kerosene extraction would yield a pretty impure product, with a bunch of fats and other minor undesirable alkaloids (ecgonine, cinnamoylcocaine, etc...).

It usually goes something like this:
Leaf + base --Organic solvent --> freebase ---sulfuric acid--> cocaine sulfate ---oxidizer --> cocaine sulphate --base + organic solvent--> freebase.
Or:
Leaf ---sulfuric acid--> cocaine sulphate ---oxidizer --> cocaine sulfate --base + organic solvent--> freebase.

The resulting freebase can then be converted to powder cocaine by crystallizing/precipitating it in the right organic solvent in the presence of HCl.

The oxidation step gets rid of the remaining secondary alkaloids but it isn't a mandatory step (it's also used for aesthetic reasons as it improves the texture of the powder and gives it its characteristic white color).
Thanks for your response, actually pretty accurate , for sure you know what steps are , can i ask you some questions at dm ? cus ive bought materials today and already make the sodium carbonate at the oven, but i dont want to fuck it up, thank you, and sorry for asking this.

greetings from a third world country where chemistry is 1+1 thanks

Sorry for cross-posting. I have access to erythroxylum coca but only in powder form so far (or very/too expensive leaves) but at least it does contain alkaloids/coca because even the brief contact with the buccal tissue from toss & wash give a local-anesthetic, numbing sensation. Now I'd like to get the best out of this powder, if possible not just cocaine but all the alkaloids - I tried leaves and effects were stronger than expected basing on calculated coca content, but they're too expensive so I went for powder.

I don't mind a coca only extraction either but if I have the choice I'd go for full spectrum.
I'm somewhat experienced in chemistry, mostly theoretical as the hardest stuff I made so far was an GBL->GHB synth but I'm learning fast. Just no intent to blow up my house.
Might try the process suggested by @4meSM.

For these not knowing it yet, erowid (or better their rhodium.ws archive) has an extensive article about extracting coca leaves. Keep in mind that this is illegal in most jurisdictions and can/will be punished as drug synthesis, so harder than plain possession/use.