• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Help with benzodiazepine detox of 8 - 10 mg alprazolam or 16 - 20 mg clonazepam

kkmatter

Greenlighter
It's not that I don't have money or can't Source the pills or anything but I have and ongoing habit of Xanax of about three years actually Xanax and Klonopin it All Began my methadone clinic where I take 155 mg of methadone(down from 210! Woohoo) daily. I would typically take between four and five Xanax AKA 8 to 10 mg alprazolam or 20 - 24 mg of clonazepam so I recently purchased 55 2mg clonazepam. the following detox protocol that I have laid out for myself so say it day 1 six pills, that means 12 mg. Keep in mind I will be supplementing this with 155 mg of methadone each day as well as M.J.

Day 1 6pills(12mg)
D2 12mg
D3 10mg
D4 10mg
D5 8mg
D6 8mg
D7 6mg
D8 6mg
D9 5mg
D10 5mg
D11 4mg
D12 4mg
D13 3mg
D14 3mg
D15 3mg
D16 2mg
D17 2mg
D18 1mg
D19 1mg
D20 1mg
D21 .5mg
D22 .5mg

I am hoping this is a slow enough detox that I will be able to conquer my benzo habit and maintain some level of comfort/be able to sleep at night. Any info I can get or recommendations would be helpful I know about Kratom and phenibut not sure if I should incorporate them into my detox or not also anyone with experience if they can speak on the level of comfort and or discomfort I will probably experience during the detox just so I know what to expect that would be cool to any input welcome thanks to all of you ahead of time! I used talk to text sorry for the run-on sentence.
Kent

Holy fuck dude ...
I thought I was having a difficult time/situation to deal with ...
Man that's a lot buddy :/

I use half a gram of tar a day and I was using 1.5-2 mgs a day to feel just normal , but damn 20-24???? Fuckk dude you're in for a ride ... I just tapered down to .5 and had to stay there for a week to adjust before today's day where I jumped down to .25 mgs k pin or 2.5-4 mgs Valium a day .
I can't imagine what you're gonna go through , but tell me, seriously you take 20-24 mgs a day klonopin or 8-10 Xanax ? That doesn't make sense cause Xanax is pretty equal to klonopin in strength so how do you take almost triple one day and and 8-10 mgs the next? And you've done this for 3 years?!?

Yes that is correct I have been on 210 mg of methadone for a few years until recently and about three of those years I have been using any where from 8 - 10 mg of Alprazolam or if I didn't have it I would use anywhere from 16 to 24 mg of clonazepam yes they are both benzos but they are completely different whereas Klonopin is a long-acting 40 hour Half-Life benzodiazepine it is released over a long time is released over a long time whereas Xanax has a 12-hour half life and is like pow in your face if I take 24 milligrams of clonazepam I could possibly skip dosing any benzodiazepines the next day simply because of the long half-life whereas Xanax I have to dose every day I have been lucky for way too long not over dosing 210mg and 5 Xanax bars a day or 210 of methadone and roughly 20 mg of clonazepam a day and I'm still alive after 3 years using everyday and two years before that using pretty much mostly everyday so almost 5 years and I have not overdosed one time but I have woke up in holding cells of jails and hospitals a couple times I woke up in room 9 Martinez Detention Facility here in Contra the East Bay of San Francisco I woke up literally with one of the payphones in my mouth they said I was trying to call my girlfriend and I kept nodding out I didn't even remember how I got there luckily they were all low charges like misdemeanor disturbing the peace or under the influence or whatever and one time I tried to quit I had a grand mal seizure and bit my tongue and woke up in the hospital and I don't want to go through that again so I would really like someone with experience to do weigh in on my detox and what kind of comfort levels at what times during the detox I should look forward to thank you for your experience though and to answer your question yes yes I have indeed been using that much and all my Xanax bars are real bars I old peoples prescription one dude gets 120 I get 60 another one of my friends gets 90 one of the homeless dudes I know from the clinic would sell me 40 bars for 100 bucks flat and calls me every month and they last me 8 days maybe
Kent

The methadone with the benzodiazepines really antagonize each other in a whole new way I mean Klonopin does nothing to me I could take 10 of them with no methadone and nothing happens I won't even feel sleepy but I take my methadone wait 30 minutes and take the benzos and it's like the one and only thing I had ever been able to look forward to every morning when I wake up everyday it's just been like " well, I woke up again today I guess I'm still alive *sigh* now let's see how many benzos I have left or if I need to re cop on some more today so that I'm not sick tomorrow". but I will never go to sleep a single night unless I know for sure I will have benzos for the next day otherwise I will go fucking insane the day before trying to find more because I just don't know what I would do if I woke up and just had my methadone there and I didn't have something already lined up or someone's going to bring me some benzos by like 1 p.m. I would probably turn to my loved one in say I need to go to the ER because that's simply my only option so I avoid that at all costs that's what these Klonopins are for and I got some bread to maybe buy some more Klonopins if I need to make some adjustments to the detox again thank you everybody still looking for experiences would love to hear some people's experience of coming off this amount of benzos or people's experience of quitting benzos while on methadone and yeah to the guy with the 1G per day black tar habit that takes the Klonopin yeah you are probably getting some of what I experienced with the two antagonizing each other benzos antagonize them opiate opiate antagonizes the benzos but from what I've heard to feel the full effect of the Synergy of opiates with benzodiazepines you want to take methadone and I have never been able to go back since I mean there is just no more fun to it just sleeping through days losing days not knowing what day it is meanwhile I am just maintaining myself on methadone and benzodiazepines it's just a maintenance thing a lot of the time it's not even like really about getting high most of the time I wake up and I'm like damn I wasted all those drugs just to sleep it's a depressing life man and I am looking for other things and hobbies and maybe a better job as well as living situation but regardless I need to deal with this benzo monster. I have gained weight and how to work with people have actually noticed and said something where I have never had that happen before and I am just letting myself go not taking care of myself not cleaning my room and living on methadone benzos and cereal or trivial Small Foods I might eat during a small time of being awake we're going to the clinic it's been such a menial existence and I really contemplated my life and if I'm actually capable of continuing and make my way into adulting or take the or am I just going to take the easy way out and try and get SSI benefits and be on drugs and methadone until I overdose and I like I said waking up in the morning is hard I'm really hoping that doing this detox from benzos and eventually methadone well help I'm also looking into issues with my testosterone typical methadone patient has one quarter the testosterone as the normal male and are normally on some form of testosterone therapy well everybody I know that has been on methadone tablets was well everybody I know that has been on methadone tablets for pain is on some kind of testosterone therapy so why aren't we at the methadone clinic? I'm not sure why but I plan on exploring that possibility as well as B12 shots

You're confusing half life with sustained released. Half life may mean that the drug is active for that many hours before at least 50% of the strongest point of that dose is metabolized. Sustained released is a pill bound to slowly leak out its active content thus making say 60 mg Morphine into 12 hours of 30 mg Morphine about (more like 8-10)

I read your story, you'll get through this it might seem insurmountable or like its too much to bear but seems like you are maintaining successfully, and more importantly that you care about yourself and *want* to change(which is the most important part). We can't really advice you about whether your taper schedule will work, I hate to say this but it probably won't.. It's just been too long and the doses are way too high for a home taper/detox. I realize you're between rock and a hard place Rn, but do you think if perhaps you went and spoke to a doctor, even an ER doctor, and genuinely shared with them whats been going on the same way as you did with us- perhaps they can refer you to a place where you'll be medically supervised during your taper? It might be expensive but also depending what state you live in there may very well be a state-sanctioned medical detox type of place.

You haven't lost hope yet, that is the most important part is to not lose hope. Just keep making small changes I mean heck, maybe even switch over to kpins full time? You have said that you can control your dosing more easily with them. Can't keep depending on stuff like random guys calling when their script gets renewed for that "good deal 40/100" you said it yourself you hate how you need to take a shitload every day just to get thru the day and night and it seems *really* stressful... It's nice that you are asking for help but on here people will be very, very hesitant to recommend a tapering schedul for that type of high dosage because A) few people have gone that high and still thought it was possible to stop B) noone wants to shoot down your hopes of a 3week taper with no Wd. You will have wd but if you taper slowly and over a long time it would be minimized (to an extent)

That's way too fast to come off benzos IMO and IME. The start will be ok off the higher doses but I would slow waaaaaayyyy down once you get below about 2/3 of what you're on now.

I was on about the same amount of benzos and I'm still stuck on the last little bit. I did do it in hospital over 2 weeks and that 2 weeks was fine but the following month I couldn't move. I'm also on maintenance and heroin.

I would seriously suggest following the Ashton Method for a slower taper. Give me heroin/opiate withdrawal over benzo any day of the week. It can definitely be done but not that fast.

It would probably be best to stay on klonopin for the first part then change to diazepam for the end. Obviously not medical advice, just my experience. Ideal situation would be to find a dr well versed in benzo withdrawal (too many aren't.)

Best of luck!

IME - that detox is way too fast, and way too short. You've been addicted for 3 years.

I came off a 4 year Xanax addiction seven months ago. I did use Klonopin to taper. The taper was over 10 weeks and I dropped .5 EVERY 2 weeks, and honestly.. that was STILL too fast. I would have rather tapered over the course of a year with the length of the addiction I had. And yes, I tapered with a small dose. I started at 3mg Klonopin. I dropped 1mg, then 2 weeks later did .5mg over 2 months.
I went 5 days cold turkey off Xanax (was the most insane HELL I have ever experienced) so my starting Klonopin dose was administered considerably lower. I probably would have started closer to 10mg Klonopin.

The taper regime you have looks more like a Suboxone taper. Benzos do not act like Subs... Subs and opiates the acute phase it 7-10 days. Benzos the acute phase is 6-8 WEEKS. You will be EXTREMELY uncomfortable, and your seizure risk will be very high when you cut it off.
The reason I would have preferred a year long taper is that it would have seriously diminished the symptoms. That fast of a taper was borderline excruciating tension, elevated aggravation with thoughts of punching people in their necks when they talked too long, rebound anxiety up the wazoo, debilitating insomnia, and the worst was paresthesia (pins & needles, burning skin) kicked in half way through the taper, and seven months later I still have the affliction. It gets worse on random days and gets in my ear and causes tinnitus. No fucking fun. None at all.

Please consider a longer taper. Also consider consulting a doctor that specializes in this kind of addiction. You have a VERY SERIOUS Xanax addiction... 10mg per day is no fucking joke. That taper is just wayyyyy too fast for your consumption. I had periods where I would consume 10mg a day, and never would I attempt a detox taper that fast.

Last edited:
It's not feasible, your taper should last at least half a year if not longer given the dose of alprazolam you've been taking and duration of dependence. Doing it without going to a hospital/clinic is possible of course, but it's going to be very hard without professional assistance even if you had unlimited amount of pills. IME you can taper with clonazepam all the way down without switching to diazepam, I did after 9 years on benzodiazepines, to give you some perspective my dose was reduced straight away from 6 mg to 4 mg when I started taking bupe after quitting methadone and then I tapered from 4 mg to 0.25mg over a year, my psychiatrist wanted me off at that dose, but I felt I wasn't ready and took 10-15 mg of clorazepate for a week or two before deciding to stop knowing the withdrawal was inevitable anyway. It was very far from painless when I eventually stopped taking it even though at the very end I was feeling relatively fine taking 10-15 mg of clorazepate a day. For the first 2-3 months I had pronounced physical and mental symptoms of withdrawal with the first month being very hard and I didn't go out at all then except to collect bupe pills, it took 3 months more for the anxiety to get bearable/controllable. A slow taper is absolutely necessary if you want to quit successfully.

kkmatter, dude, wtf??? Let me get this off my chest before I offer my advice and wish you the best:

You're a fucking retard. Not only are you lucky you didn't overdose in your sleep on any number of times. Fuck what am I saying, not any number of times, you're lucky you didn't OD every single time you did that. And it's people like you that make it so hard for a legitimate and true anxiety sufferer (most especially those of us on MMT), afflicted with debilitating and crippling anxiety to find help. The Methadone Clinic I was just at has completely changed their policies regarding benzos, due to the death of an MMT patient with a real prescription to benzodiazepines (cause of death unknown but we all know what most likely went down), now all patients with benzodiazepine 'scripts (even those that have had their scripts for years, and have proven their responsibility time and time again) have found themselves in a little pickle. It's detox off the benzos or become ineligible for take-homes. Not only that, the clinic decided to call the doc's and psych's of every single patient receiving benzos to say, "Hi there, this is X Methadone Clinic. Did you know that your patient, John Doe, is a hopeless drug addict? Yeah, he's a full blown junkie. In fact, we're treating him for Heroin/Opioid addiction with the narcotic Methadone, and if you don't revoke said patient's 'script you will be responsible for their death should an overdose or any other issue arise." Patients who have had take-home privileges for years have now been forced to rapid detox benzos by next month's drug-test or forfeit their take-homes, and potentially other accrued trust, including non-monitored drug-tests. I've heard it's become so bad on the East Coast that the MMT clinics over there won't even take you on if you have a benzo script, no matter how small the dose or seemingly benign the substance (Librium or low dose Ativan, anything). How could you let your habit get so extreme? That's ridiculous, if you failed to source pills for even a few days you would have been looking at grand-mal seizures for sure, brain damage, hospital stays, potentially death. How would your clinic look if you died? What would happen to your fellow patients?

That said, I've been there, almost. Once upon a time I was taking 195mg Methadone + 100mg Diazepam a day. My wake up call was almost cutting my thumb off zonked out at work. And that only slowed me down. I managed to get down to about 130mg Methadone + 4-8mg Xanax or Klonopin a day. Then came the double cold turkey; all things must end. I almost died even from that reduced habit. Went into a gnarly seizure in the kitchen, smacked my head on the tile floor, and I was lucky, I had missed the corner of the counter by a very small margin. My mom had to come home for lunch from work to find my seizing on the floor, blood oozing from my head, food everywhere. So I know where you're coming from. I'm no innocent either. Now I dose 120mg Methadone a day, and allow myself a 1-4mg dose of Klonopin 3 or 4 days a week, if I can afford it. My best friend has endless bars and pins, but I refuse to ask for them unless I need them, I'm trying to take some of the power back from these drugs.

The notion that you could wean yourself off such an obscene dosage of benzodiazepines in 22 days is laughable. I recommend you don't seek professional help, or you'll never see a legal benzo again, and you may be kicked off the clinic, if I was the director of your clinic your ass would be kickin rocks, too much of a liability in you. Try it on your own before seeking help.

I would expect 3 months to be the absolute minimum of time you'd need to properly and safely detox the benzos. Kick the Xanax, it'll do you no favors in a taper. Go with Klonopin only at first. See if you can reduce your dose by 50% in 2 months. Then keep going, nice and slow. When you can safely dose 4mg of clonazepam a day start taking a day off once or twice a week. Then I'd probably switch to Valiums. Go from 4mg Klonopin to 35-40mg diazepam. Go from 40mg diazepam down to 10mg of diazepam, as quickly as you can safely tolerate it. Then start breaking 10mg Valiums in half, and maybe get a script for Ambien or Lunesta, the 'z-drugs' really help one sleep when suffering a GABAergic detox.

Helpful supplements when titrating down would probably include: Gabapentin or Lyrica (pregabalin) are probably the most helpful substance I've encountered when kicking benzodiazepines, and they are also easy to get scripts for. Personally I find Gabapentin to be a Godsend for relief from general daily anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Cannabis also helps, if you can tolerate it. I recommend only Indica and CBD dominant plants. CBD is a miracle, it totally knocks out much of my anxiety w/o making me too stoned to function. Also check out Phenibut, it's currently a legal substance that tickles the GABA receptors that I've heard positive things about. Valerian Root and Melatonin will help when you get your dose waay down. Good luck!

Last edited:
The notion that you could wean yourself off such an obscene dosage of benzodiazepines in 22 days is laughable. I recommend you don't seek professional help, or you'll never see a legal benzo again, and you may be kicked off the clinic, if I was the director of your clinic your ass would be kickin rocks, too much of a liability in you. Try it on your own before seeking help.

right sorry Blind Melon if i'm reading this wrong, but you weren't advising OP to avoid a medically supervised taper in lieu of reducing unobserved and almost certainly too fast just to make it easier for you and him (assuming he doesn't die of a seizure at home) can have slightly easier access to benzos?

i'm reading that wrong yeah?

They are all instant release pills even the Klonopin so I don't know what you're talking about that I'm not confusing half life with extended release but yeah anyway I am on gabapentin so that should be good I can increase my dose while I do the taper I I'm currently buying a shit ton of Klonopin and a little bit of Xanax to mix the Xanax with the Klonopin and eventually just take Klonopin and then detox from there I'm getting another 75 to milligram Klonopin and 40 yellow bars so I'll worry about that when I cross that bridge I'm just going to try to reduce .5 mg every two weeks like dude was talking about until I'm out of Alp then I'm going to maybe take the last little bit of it with some klonopin and move on to the Klonopin and by the time I need more I should be able to access another prescription at 60 so that's 55 75 and 60 that's how many 2mg clonazepam I will have to last me until they get another 60 on the 16th of the month if I need them still so I have extended my detox and busted out a real calendar so far I'm looking at .5 mg of Xanax a day every two weeks until I'm down to 2.5 then I'm going to start switching to klonopin mixed with alp Till It's Gone then just take the Klonopin and reduce Till It's Gone then just take the Klonopin and reduce the method mentioned above which is 1 mg every 3 days then I'm going to continue with maybe a Valium taper or some Librium at the end thanks for the replies at all and yeah you are right I am a fucking idiot and I'm lucky to be alive I'm glad you made it out bro

So I got 40 yellow R039 and I just can't control myself I ate the last four green s 90 3 I had and had four and a half this morning I'm on eight and a half bars today so if that gives you an idea of the things I will do like if I'm recomping I will kind of indulge sometimes

Fortunately I am due to pick up 60 2 milligram Klonopins today and 75 tomorrow not to mention the 55 I already have now I will probably try to Source some valium which won't be hard because people sell 10mg for a dollar here and sometimes will practically give you them for like a couple cigarettes so I'll do that I'll make my rounds at the methadone clinics

keeping:

Yeah, but the fault is mine, not yours. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. kkmatter's consumption only affects me in the broadest of circumstances, in all likelihood whatever becomes of kk will have zero affect on me. But even if it were to directly impact my access to benzos his life and safety are of an immeasurably greater import.

I only advised he avoid a professional detox at first because it seems that he has little to no problem getting the medication he'll need to complete a proper taper/detox, and if he does it himself he won't get labeled a "drug-seeker" or accrue excessive medical debt. Also, if he came clean I suspect whatever powers that be may completely deny him access to any narcotic medicine he may actually need in the future.

kk: After reading your last three posts, maybe I'm wrong. You may not be able to do this on your own, professional help might be your best bet. It seems you clearly comprehend the severity of your situation; the danger of OD, and the danger of cold turkey at your current dose. But sometimes knowing just how fucked you are doesn't help, addiction being the beast that it is.

Last edited:
I'm just going to try to reduce .5 mg every two weeks like dude was talking about until I'm out of Alp then I'm going to maybe take the last little bit of it with some klonopin and mov

Perhaps I should rephrase and sum up... I did .5 every two weeks and it was successful, albeit HARD AS FUCK. Had I attempted that at home I would have failed. That was done in an in-patient rehab facility. I did try to state I would have preferred a much longer taper. You don't want paresthesia which I'm beginning to believe I got from weening off too fast. But that affliction only happens to a percentage of former benzo addicts, yet is very common.

Your body WILL feel every taper when you get down to the last 2mg. I would recommend spacing those last 2mg out by several months. Possibly going down .25 per month. Trust me on that one. I felt every taper when it was that low.. and just when I started normalling out, we'd knock another .5 out. It fucking sucked.

I would say that your body won't know when you knock .5 out from 10mg - 4mg every two weeks for instance, but that is my speculation. You WILL feel that last few MG so take that one slow. That is MONTHS away, however. Play around with what feels comfortable. This doesn't have to be excruciating through the entire process... save that for when you kick the last .5...

Try to consult a professional. The dosage of Xanax you are at is extremely dangerous.

Gabapentin is helps the rebound anxiety. I read another recommendation for Ambien. My only failed attempt to kick benzos was two years before my Xanax detox. I went 10 days off Klonopin and the only way I was able to get 2-3 hours sleep was a small supply of Ambian.

Kkmatter if you lower the dose too quick or if u take a higher dose at times it will compromise the taper entirely. u might wanna just try and do your best to stay on the exact benzo dose your at right now, perhaps start to reduce your methadone until you're ready to truely taper w/ medical assistance, there are some benzo-dependent people who truly used them to alleviate conditions they may have (and abuse them as well and then must taper to a low dose or none at all- for these people, tapers are truly a godsend.). I'm just saying this because yo-yoing your dosage is not bound to be a good idea. Along the same lines of why switching over to kpin or diazepam is generally seen as a good move

Seizures and a sore head are the least of your worries, go thru that "quick taper" enough times and I guarantee you'll be more fucked up than you are now, to the point of causing true mental deficits due to the excitotoxicity in your brain that occurs during benzo withdrawal. A taper like that, it could really fuck you up

The methadone is affecting your body and mind more then you know, if u rate its effects by how fucked up you get every morning after you take the benzos additionally. don't you see how that's a bit off?

Last edited:
^^ but that's addiction and so many of us are there or have been there.

Honestly, I came off around the same amount or benzos combined with opiates and alcohol and my actual taper lasted 2 years until I got to a low maintenance dose which does nothing at all for my real anxiety, it just stops me going into withdrawal.

Benzo withdrawal is just not something you can do quickly.