• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help! Tips when taking codeine.

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi fellas.

I want to go back to take codeine after a month when my experience was not very good, although it was not the fault of the codeine itself.
I have access to 24 x 30 mg codeine / acetaminophen tablets, which after CWE will be around 700 mg. codeine, right?
Anyway, I have taken codeine very few times (I think only 4 or 5) but I have quite a tolerance to tramadol since I take it every day (I am sure this will influence). I take 700mg of tramadol and I don't notice much effects, unless I haven't been taking it for days. Will it be the same with codeine? I don't think so. because codeine is a pure agonist, unlike tramadol which also has SSRI properties.
So my doubts are:
- Should I stop taking tramadol the day I want to take codeine? Last time I noticed that the tram blocked the effects of the codeine a bit. Weird.
- What dose would be the ideal? 700 mg. Do they seem fine or will I need more than that? I've read that codeine has a ceiling effect but I'm not sure.
In my country it's very rare for you to be prescribed codeine as a narcotic analgesic, it's almost always tramadol, so these tablets are not easy to get.
I hope you friends can help me.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah I wouldn't mix the 2, I remember doing it one time years ago and it wasn't enjoyable.

I also wouldn't starting with 700mg at once, may even be counterproductive since your body may not be able to metabolize that amount at once (you could experience some very unpleasant side effects like very heavy itching). For most people, codeine appears to have a ceiling dose.

It's tricky to figure out the equivalency with tramadol and codeine since they're both (partially) pro-drugs, so it's gonna depend on your metabolism.
I think codeine is a more potent opioid than tramadol, and the effects are cleaner since it's converted into morphine which is a full agonist.

So I wouldn't take more than 350-400mg at most (unless you're 100% sure your tolerance is that big). But honestly if I were you I'd probably take 200mg on an empty stomach. You can always take more later if you feel like it wasn't enough.

You said this won't be your first time taking it. So how much did you take before?

Yeah I wouldn't mix the 2, I remember doing it one time years ago and it wasn't enjoyable.

I also wouldn't starting with 700mg at once, may even be counterproductive since your body may not be able to metabolize that amount at once (you could experience some very unpleasant side effects like very heavy itching). For most people, codeine appears to have a ceiling dose.

It's tricky to figure out the equivalency with tramadol and codeine since they're both (partially) pro-drugs, so it's gonna depend on your metabolism.
I think codeine is a more potent opioid than tramadol, and the effects are cleaner since it's converted into morphine which is a full agonist.

So I wouldn't take more than 350-400mg at most (unless you're 100% sure your tolerance is that big). But honestly if I were you I'd probably take 200mg on an empty stomach. You can always take more later if you feel like it wasn't enough.

You said this won't be your first time taking it. So how much did you take before?

Thank you @4meSM for your answer.
The last time I took codeine it was a cough syrup with 240 mg. Zero effect (not even itchy), maybe a little mild effects at 15-30 minutes but may have been placebo. Could it have been that I took a lot of tramadol in the morning?
My other experiences are from years ago when I had no experience with opioids and they were very small doses (30-90 mg.)

Thank you @4meSM for your answer.
The last time I took codeine it was a cough syrup with 240 mg. Zero effect (not even itchy), maybe a little mild effects at 15-30 minutes but may have been placebo. Could it have been that I took a lot of tramadol in the morning?
My other experiences are from years ago when I had no experience with opioids and they were very small doses (30-90 mg.)

I don't know man I'd say follow your instincts, only you know your tolerance and the way your body reacts to opioids. I just know that it doesn't feel good to take too much, but it seems like you will likely be OK on a higher dose if you didn't feel 240mg on an empty stomach.
Codeine is kind of a hit or miss among drug users. It can be pretty good if you have a low tolerance and/or respond well to it but sometimes it's not really worth it.

I don't know man I'd say follow your instincts, only you know your tolerance and the way your body reacts to opioids. I just know that it doesn't feel good to take too much, but it seems like you will likely be OK on a higher dose if you didn't feel 240mg on an empty stomach.
Codeine is kind of a hit or miss among drug users. It can be pretty good if you have a low tolerance and/or respond well to it but sometimes it's not really worth it.

Yeah man, maybe I have too much hope on codeine but sometimes I don't like so much The stimulation from tramadol and would prefer a more sedative opioid. My gut tells me that I should take it after 24-48 hours without any opioids in my system. That way, it can hit me more. By the way, I love the itchiness caused by codeine hahaha the first few times tramadol also caused that but not anymore. I miss that.