• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Help someone out! Compare caffeine to amphetamine!

Gaffy

Bluelighter
Hi, based on your experience, how would you compare amphetamine at therapeutic dosages to a medium/high dose of caffeine? This is a question asked by Neuroprotection, in the N&PD section:
I know this is going off topic a little, but I thought you might have the answer given that you have used amphetamines Whilst I have never used any psychostimulant apart from caffeine and nicotine. My question is, how do you the effects of amphetamine compare to those of caffeine. Also, assuming that you have experience with both drugs, what is the impact of previous amphetamine use on subsequent experience with caffeine, That is, when they are spaced far apart to avoid the influences of combined effects or withdrawal. The reason I ask, is because currently, I really enjoy the effects of caffeine, And absolutely love those of nicotine which I get occasionally from chewing tobacco or Nicotine patches/other replacement products which I must conceal from others as I am a non-smoker and so their use would be frowned upon and I would be ridiculed. I do not want my experiences with these drugs to be ruined by other stimulants which may be much harder to get hold of So any knowledge you have would be much appreciated.

I answered like I could but I feel she/he deserves more input. (I would like to add that Neuroprotection is blind, so even if there already is a discussion about this, looking it up would be taking a while for her, so don't hesitate to post here!)

So, what's your word on the matter? I'm searching for testimonies of people having had a use of or currently using real amphetamine, in the form of ADHD medication or who are shure of their amphetamine's quality. The thing is we're searching for comparisons between amphetamine and caffeine, not the combination of, as most speed is cut with caffeine; still, we would like to read your story! :) No Meth no RCs like Hexen, and methylphenidate is welcome.
Thanks for the input, please give it a chance!
(Help me help him/her out! :) )

Last edited:
Amphetamine, in the form of Adderall (75% D, 25% L isomers) is a much longer lasting, smoother stimulating experience. Often it takes much longer to come on then caffeine.

Duration of Amphetamine is usually 3-12 hours, it varies a lot depending on many factors. Caffeine duration is more like 1-6 hours.

It’s alot more euphoric and social. Caffeine can be social but more of a “I’m throwing words at you” kinda conversation. Amphetamine (at therapeutic doses) is calmer and socializing a bit easier.

Caffeine doesn’t really make boring tasks fun to me, and if anything I might just give up on them. Amphetamine gives me drive to complete them.

Amphetamine makes for the best nights out dancing too. Music appreciation is higher..

-GC

I really am not sure that they are comparable in the way that you're trying to figure out. One "is" and the other "is not". There is a complete difference between being under the influence of a Central Nervous Stimulant like Amphetamine or Cocaine and having a strong cup of Coffee. Does this make sense to anyone? I apologize, I've eaten some mushrooms so I might not be making sense.

The only conversion I've come across in my studies, from a textbook, is 20mg amp to 500mg caffeine. I'm assuming dextroamp. But that book had several errors in it that I spotted.

There really isn't much of a comparison. Maybe if caffeine didn't have a ceiling so low.'

FYI, each consecutive day that you take amp, you need twice as much as the previous day to achieve the same effect, from the same source. As we know, though, you can burn out the pleasure of amp if you abuse it too much/often.

I wonder if there's any cross tolerance between stims and caffeine. Does anyone knows?

We're getting somewhere, thanks. There might be cross-tolerance amp=>caffeine but probably not caffeine=>amp, and eventhough their effects are so different (imo) I'd still enjoy caffeine after abusing amp for a long time and a cup of coffe or a cola on top of amp!

Amphetamine feels good and has a mood enhancing effect especially if you aren't a regular user. Caffeine like gets you moving but adderall/dexedrine makes you excited about moving, you feel me?

Caffeine is arguably less psychologically habit forming, and less taxing physically. Amphetamine will produce results, like now. Caffeine requires more "work ethic" to actually carry out the intended task. Altho we know that many people will totally not do what they "intended" to after they take their dex or addy.

Amphetamine is more draining the next day if you do not continue to take it due it it's more intensive action on dopamine and serotonin (for me personally)

So yeah really in my opinion amp is more habit forming and possibly a bit more physically taxing altho honestly if it's pure dex I'd say i feel less wiped than when I take 200+ mg of caffeine, but I couldn't really say cause I only did dexedrine like once or twice yeaaars ago. More experience with adderall, I'm actually on it right now. It's been a while. It feels good to be back.

I have never done methamphetamine I am pretty sure it's kind of a different beast. I don't even know if they have 50/50 street amp in the united states anymore. I have never seen or been offered any.

( I really like caffeine though and it remains my personal go to stimulant)

I really am not sure that they are comparable in the way that you're trying to figure out. One "is" and the other "is not". There is a complete difference between being under the influence of a Central Nervous Stimulant like Amphetamine or Cocaine and having a strong cup of Coffee. Does this make sense to anyone? I apologize, I've eaten some mushrooms so I might not be making sense.
Yes I feel like amphetamine fundamentally changes aspects of my personality much more so than caffeine.

Last edited:
I used to bosh down energy drinks before my ADHD was medicated, had me wired but didn't really do much to help me concentrate in any real way and just made me hyper and anxious. Had trouble sleeping and at worst had panic attacks.

Therapeutic levels of dexamph can only be described as much much cleaner and more functional with less side effects.

I take caffeine with adderall. But in general in my experience high doses of caffeine give me similar effects to low doses of adderall when it comes to focus, alertness, and feeling awake especially while sleep deprived. Caffeine seems to slightly lower the dose of adderall where i prefer the effects vs not being able to tell. However, in my experience there is a ceiling for caffeine where if i pass i only get more side effects.

Basically id say caffeine is too different to compare but has some similar effects of low doses of amphetamine at high doses.

This makes perfect sence to me. From what I understand you are saying that caffeine and the typical dopaminergic psychostimulants are not comparable despite being in the class of drugs called stimulants. This likely explains why caffeine is the most widely concumed psychoactive drug and stimulant on earth, probibly because one can binge on it or use it regularly with out lasting damage or severe comedown. Please correct me if i'm wrong

Just read through this thread now. The information I got from the answers of everyone hear were very detailed, interesting and best of all combined your knowledge with personal experience, something I feel most scientific studies lack. Thank you all very much for this. I want to especially thank GAFFY for creating this thread on my behalf and contributing to this topic. Based on this information and other research, I have decided to keep using medium/strong doses of caffeine as my stimulant of choice, both for functional and recreational purposes in the mean time. This is partly because I have quite an addictive personality, especially when it comes to junk foods and soft/energy drinks or even escaping stressful situations. However, I will keep my options open, particularly in the field of nootropics, Ampakins and even the reportedly non/neurotoxic monoamine releasing agents, the most interesting being Naphthyl Isopropylamine. Can't remember the research code name for it but its certainly an promising lead.

Not quite related but I’m gonna hijack this thread to ask a question if nobody minds.

With Amphetamine usage, how often can one use it and retain the “magic”?

I ask because I have only used it twice, spaced about 2 months apart, and both times were beautiful experiences. Will I be able to retain these glowing experiences if I only use it with 2 month breaks? Sort of like how MDMA magic will stick around so long as one waits long enough before using again. What do y’all think is a good length of time to wait? I’ll also note that I use it strictly for recreation/entheogenic purposes, namely dancing

Not quite related but I’m gonna hijack this thread to ask a question if nobody minds.

With Amphetamine usage, how often can one use it and retain the “magic”?

I ask because I have only used it twice, spaced about 2 months apart, and both times were beautiful experiences. Will I be able to retain these glowing experiences if I only use it with 2 month breaks? Sort of like how MDMA magic will stick around so long as one waits long enough before using again. What do y’all think is a good length of time to wait? I’ll also note that I use it strictly for recreation/entheogenic purposes, namely dancing
To be honest you could probably take amphetamine once a month and see little to no tolerance/loss of magic. I mean people are able to take theraputic doses for long periods of time, years even with little to no loss of functionality, so it stands to reason you could use it responsibly as a recreational drug with little loss of magic.

Your mileage may vary of course, but it doesn't seem to burn out the potential for those "glowing" experiences as quickly as good old X does lol

To be honest you could probably take amphetamine once a month and see little to no tolerance/loss of magic. I mean people are able to take theraputic doses for long periods of time, years even with little to no loss of functionality, so it stands to reason you could use it responsibly as a recreational drug with little loss of magic.

Your mileage may vary of course, but it doesn't seem to burn out the potential for those "glowing" experiences as quickly as good old X does lol
Good to know, thank you very much. It’s a shame speed paste isn’t really a thing in the US. Not there’s anything wrong with some good old adderall or Dexedrine it just can be a little hard to source sometimes, at least in my area. It really is an excellent rave drug, especially since I don’t really have any harsh comedown with it

Good to know, thank you very much. It’s a shame speed paste isn’t really a thing in the US. Not there’s anything wrong with some good old adderall or Dexedrine it just can be a little hard to source sometimes, at least in my area. It really is an excellent rave drug, especially since I don’t really have any harsh comedown with it
I mean they used to sell it over the counter in the united states in the 50's and 60's.

Amphetamine is rather safe at lower doses, it would honestly not be a large burden on public health if made available to the general (adult) public.

As far as abuse goes, it is a safer drug to have as an option for the existing amphetamine addicts who are forced to generally use crystal meth, which varies in quality and can last a little too long and be more taxing physically and mentally.

I am somewhat of an idealist though and that is simply not the world we are living in.

Amphetamine feels good and has a mood enhancing effect especially if you aren't a regular user. Caffeine like gets you moving but adderall/dexedrine makes you excited about moving, you feel me?

Caffeine is arguably less psychologically habit forming, and less taxing physically. Amphetamine will produce results, like now. Caffeine requires more "work ethic" to actually carry out the intended task. Altho we know that many people will totally not do what they "intended" to after they take their dex or addy.

Amphetamine is more draining the next day if you do not continue to take it due it it's more intensive action on dopamine and serotonin (for me personally)

So yeah really in my opinion amp is more habit forming and possibly a bit more physically taxing altho honestly if it's pure dex I'd say i feel less wiped than when I take 200+ mg of caffeine, but I couldn't really say cause I only did dexedrine like once or twice yeaaars ago. More experience with adderall, I'm actually on it right now. It's been a while. It feels good to be back.

I have never done methamphetamine I am pretty sure it's kind of a different beast. I don't even know if they have 50/50 street amp in the united states anymore. I have never seen or been offered any.

( I really like caffeine though and it remains my personal go to stimulant)
As a caffeine addict I can say caffeine has something special about it, however, strangely I hate it when sleep deprived. In order to get good effects from it I will ensure I had at least 8 hours of sleep and if possible open the blinds for sunlighT in order to elivate my mood. Though I have never tried psychostimulants, i can imagine that they could be extremely uforic to a new/occasional user. I think that apart from mechanism of action, duration and chemical structure, caffeine differes from the other stimulants in that even the most extreme tolerance brought about by prolonged high dose binges is still rapidly reversable with a short break. Unfortunitly, I have heard that once tolerance develops to amphetamine's pleasurable effects, and particularly if high doses were used, it can be very difficult or impossible to get them back. Furthermore, it is said that even with prolonged abstinence, amphetamine tolerance can return much faste and more agressively than the first time it developed. Would you say this is true.

I mean they used to sell it over the counter in the united states in the 50's and 60's.

Amphetamine is rather safe at lower doses, it would honestly not be a large burden on public health if made available to the general (adult) public.

As far as abuse goes, it is a safer drug to have as an option for the existing amphetamine addicts who are forced to generally use crystal meth, which varies in quality and can last a little too long and be more taxing physically and mentally.

I am somewhat of an idealist though and that is simply not the world we are living in.
Lol as nice it would be, I’m not gonna be waiting around for it to happen. I guess for now you just have to get a prescription at the ripe old age of 8 based on unreliable diagnostics administered by general care doctors who lack deeper insight into mental health issues. Great system amirite

Oh, dude, amphetamine could only be slightly compared to a cup of coffee if you took the feeling you get during the first 5 or ten minutes after drinking some Starbucks, and extended that out for 8 hours.