• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help quitting Valium cold turkey

Batgirl999

Greenlighter
Hey. So I have no choice. I had my last Valium today and I can get no more. I have been on Valium for four years and take anywhere between five and forty mgs daily (depending on how I’m coping). I realise it is highly dangerous to quit cold turkey, especially considering my length of use and high dosage. But as I said, I’ve no choice. What symptoms do I need to look out for that signal I’m in danger? Will I know if a fit is coming on? Have any of you managed this?

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Please check into a hospital, or a detox/rehab center run by medical professionals. People have died from attempting to detox/quit valium and other benzos on their own.

I am moving this to basic drug discussion for you. Stay safe.

Get more diazepam and taper off - whether that be via your own means, or by checking yourself in to A&E.

It is incredibly unlikely that you will avoid having a seizure. Your seizure threshold has been artificially altered for four years - to say that it will now be unstable and precarious would be an understatement.

Everybody is different, but the tell tale signs for me were twitches and brain zaps, with a grand mal seizure occurring on roughly day three. This has happened to me having taken diazepam for only a week, never mind four years.

It really is very serious and a medical emergency. Also, there is a much higher chance of relapsing if you try to endure cold turkey withdrawals. Taper off and you can avoid having any withdrawals at all. Seizures are an option at this point. I exaggerate not.

Up to 40mg daily for 4 years and you have no way of getting anymore? I highly suggest you either get an emergency GP appointment or go to hospital and explain the situation. When I came of valium I didn't start getting full on withdrawal for a day or 2 so you should be fine for now but I'd explain the situation to the doctor and hopefully they will help.

I highly suggest reading the Aston Manual.. link: https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Possibly print this out and show your doctor as most doctors are idiots when it comes to this. Hopefully he'll put you on a proper taper plan. But you've really got to get off of high dose valium especially if you're not being prescribed it (which im guessing you're not as 1)I doubt any doctor would prescribe 40mg valium a day and 2) you suddenly can't get anymore).

As the post above said if you're getting brain zaps etc then I would definitely get yourself to ER.

Batgirl, sorry, but you could you please give us a little more information perhaps regarding how you came to be prescribed and dependent upon Benzodiazepines, why you need to stop unmedicated right this moment and what your other experience with drugs might be. This stuff is important. For a lot of us who have been dealing with similar issues regarding Benzodiazepines, it's equally important to know about the person's history.

If you live in a developed country in the Western World, Russia excluded of course, you should be able to go to any public hospital and take part in some kind of treatment. If you have no contact with a prescriber and you have no medication and no resources, all we can do is to tell you to sit tight and keep positive, which is, I'm guessing, not what you want to hear.

Thanks for all your replies. My history: ever since I was a child, I’ve been on and off benzos. My father gave me crushed up rohypnol from age 3 to age 21 (obvs not crushed then!). My mum died when I was 15 and my father ‘checked out’. I raised myself. Since then, I’ve been diagnosed with Bipolar II, PTSD, GAD, and panic disorder. I was put on seroquel and antidepressants. But I’ve always needed more. I live in Australia and try to manage my severe anxiety with Valium. I’ve been going to several doctors to get this. I realise this is stupid but I am dependent on them and this has obviously escalated seriously. I was told yesterday by my dr that the Medicare system sent him and my other prescribers a letter telling them what I’d done and my dr said that his hands were now tied and would not supply me with anymore. I cried all day from the sheer humiliation and shame. I’m not a bad person. I’m in a bad situation though. I’m stuck. And I’ve been sober for 20 years, so really really don’t want to use alcohol as a ‘soother’ to get me through. So I really have no choice but to go cold turkey. To add salt to the wound, my husband is leaving next week for three months and I must care for my children and 94 year old Dad. So basically I’m stuffed.

As all previous replies state, you NEED to taper and CANNOT go cold turkey. That's not an option, you are going to have seizures, it might go bad if you are not rushed to an ER fast enough. You cannot drive for the safety of yourself and others. You might also experience partial or total paralysis spells.
I don't know if you would consider this, but in your position I would seriously consider the black market to get benzos so you can taper.
If you cannot get benzos I think Phenibut could help you and you can obtain it legally in Australia as it is sold as a nootropic supplement.
But honestly I don't know if it could be powerful enough to help you. And you would probably need to take it like 5 times per day.

Don't even try to go cold turkey. Um, and your dad was given you roofies from age 3?

Right number one. Get a friend or family member to take you to the DR and get someone to acknoledge the fact that the DR is taking you off your medication. You need to be tapered off.
The people who generally take alcohol when tapering generally Have no choice. To be fair to anyone going though this, it is totally understandable.

100% get help. Don't wait for something to happen.

Good Luck!

Oh dear batgirl.
How long did your text state til the spouse is leaving ? Next week. Ok you need to move quickly now. It is stated your Medicare must have noticed the multiple prescriptions n thus will no longer pay for any benzodiazepines at all (I'm assuming;) and they've notified each prescriber you were obtaining scripts from. Okay. Think I got that correct ?

Heres exactly what i would BEG you to do.
Go into the emergency dept of the best hospital you can reach ASAP.

you need to TAKE that letter with YOU, BE HONEST ( because if you try n downplay the use (frequency , dose or duration of use) you'll be screwing yourself n not get the proper care.

Right this moment ya gotta move quickly and don't wait until a tragedy occurs. This is disgusting to hear that the dr who informed you of the letter refused to even Taper / manage your case until you're physically out of danger. This upsets me n I am VERY concerned for you.

Please see a hospital. You may get a script of a "few" in which to taper down n jump off but that would likely never be enough. And you would probably have to pay cash price at the pharmacy because your Medicare obviously wont touch it. This is what I know has happened here in the USA w cases like yours.
The BETTER OPTION which I hope to God occurs would be that the emergency dept admits you for "as rapid a dextox as Safely possible " but I don't know that you would be home in time for your spouse's departure. You might very well be--- at least you would be able to Tell the staff the whole situation n go from there

Any relatives / close friends nearby you may be able to give a heads - up and enlist their help in case you're in detox for a week or more?

PLEASE realize : the kids n the old man yes I understand you've got a responsibility there. Yet you'll be of no use to them at all if you have a tragic debilitating seizure !
You may sustain brain damage; you may lose oxygen to the brain.... you simply MUST GET to a hospital and go about this properly.

The only OTHER POSSIBILITY I can imagine is if you could as stated above secure another source of the meds..... truly that seems impractical because you'll need ALOT AND YOU'LL NEED IT IMMEDIATELY.

OH i know this is inconvenient but
---- can spouse postpone his travel so you dont have to recruit outside sitters for the family?

Gotta worry about yourself first right now miss. PLEASE. Get to the hospital and see what they'll work out . Fuck Medicare if they don't wanna pay for meds or treatment. This can be a matter of life n death so I would think a reputable hospital would treat you and work something out with billing you privately.

So sorry this is happening. Prayers there will be a safe medical transition Off / down from the meds. You simply are not Safe trying to do it cold turkey home alone w four or five ppl dependent upon ya for care. Nope nope nope

Thanks again guys. Yep, Dad called it Santa Clause medicine. And instead of milk, from the age of about one and a half, I was given water mixed with red wine in my bottle. No joke.

I took everything you all said very seriously. I went to one of my other prescribers. I swallow my shame and dignity and my husband came with me. Unbelievably, their computers were on the blink, so he couldn’t open my electronic file where the message about me would have been. He prescribed me 25 tablets.

So that’s the good news. The bad news is I only have that amount with which to taper off. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I really appreciate all of you for understanding, helping, and not judging. I really do.

Thanks again.

Better than none.
Not nearly enough.

I'm going to have to defer to others here as I truly have no experience in continued use of anything benzodiazepine.

I'm reieved you got Some. (Suprised the pharmacy didn't catch the lock-out on ya ).

I've NO idea how many mg/day would be the minimum, to keep you safe from seizures . That's the big fear : seizures. I think you'll suffer some horrendous withdrawals, no way round that.

OTHERS?

you're going to have to do quite a brutal taper -
how many mgs in each of the 25 you were given?

let me know asap so we can come up witha plan
and yeah, wtf, why did he give you roofies? do you have epilepsy or somethibg?

Thanks RunningFox and keeping. Each tablet is 5mg. My parents were partiers in the 70s and it was bothersome that I cried etc and needed tending to. So they gave me roofies and wine. It worked, I was a ‘good’ baby. They also gave me opiates for headaches from about age 6 (I’ve had pretty mad migraines since that time). Unfortunately, and this is just a theory, I think it just wired my growing brain not to be able to release its own pain killing chemicals or anti anxiety chemicals. Trust me, I’ve been angry for a very long time about it but it is what it is and I’ve forgiven them. It has left a huge albatross around my neck though.

The first thing to do is to see if you can get a more extended taper plan... although you need to be ready/willing to do it. Assuming you do want to (and realistically this is your only option), then print off the Ashton manual, which is the go to benzo tapering resource, and take it to your doctor, with your husband. Tell him you have been addicted to benzodiazapene and made mistakes, and want to taper off so that you can avoid the withdrawals, as they would set you back to square one, and run the risk of sending you to the streets in desperation (as has happened to a great many people). Request his help in this and request that he read the manual to help facilitate this. Ask your husband (assuming he is clean), if he would hold on to and administer the benzos, and be there to collect your scripts, so that you won't abuse them again. Propose this to your doctor - the point is to assure him, and also to ensure you stick to the plan. There is no reason you can't avoid withdrawals if you do a long taper.

If not, you will have to make do with what you have. It's not great but you can probably avoid the seizures. How many of the 25x 5mg diazepam that he gave you have you taken, and how much is an effective dose for you? Do you have tolerance? I tend to find that without tolerance, 5mg is mildly active, 10mg is half a dose - somewhat active, and 20mg is what I would consider a 'full' dose. Obviously, with tolerance this changes (and it is different for everyone), but you can usually work out what a dose is for you, and what a half dose would be.

So anyway, the point is to gradually reduce the dose. I think the worst of the withdrawal symptoms usually hit 72 hours after your last dose. Day three is when I would get brain zaps and start twitching, then have a grand mal... which is brutal, to say the least. IME it can be helpful to try and reduce your tolerance slightly, and it will also mean what you have will go further. The best way for me is to wait around 48 hours before dosing again. Nearer to 72 means your tolerance will drop even further, but it also means that you're approaching seizure territory and will experience some nasty withdrawals, so it is best avoided unless you have serious tolerance issues. Regardless, the basic method is to keep gradually reducing your dose, and aiming to keep things on a gentle plateau, rather than getting a full 'hit' from the diazepam. You would take half your usual dose, once per day, and then gradually you would reduce it to half that, then half again. For somebody who is benzo naive (i.e no tolerance) the method might be to go from 20mg, to 10mg per day for a week or two, and then 5 mg per day, then maybe 2.5mg, then none.

If things are tight by the time you get to the end, then maybe you would want to keep a final 5mg diazepam for three days after your last dose, which can kind of lessen the impact slightly but stretching things out a little bit longer.

These are just general musings and you will have to arrange a plan for yourself. There are people more experienced/knowledgable than me who can offer advice. I tapered off high dose xanax/etizolam powder last year, and with a gradual diazepam taper from the doctor I came out of it feeling better than when I started taking them, with minimal withdrawals. That said, I did have seizures when trying to reduce my tolerance with the powder, but that was generally through silly mistakes, such as using up the last of my supply and finding myself unable to get more.

I hope things work out well for you! :)

Last edited:
dear god batgirl, opiates, rohypnol and alcohol?
you're lucky to be with us at all D:
so sorry to hear.

but yes, Tranced crushed it, some solid advice there!
i don't really have anything to add
nice one man!
and best of luck batgirl :)

Wow Batgirl, you have been through a lot. You are strong! I am by no means an expert in tapering like some of these other great people but I can keep you in my thoughts and hope you come through. I'm new around here but this community is incredible. Stay stong Batgirl!

The first thing to do is to see if you can get a more extended taper plan... although you need to be ready/willing to do it. Assuming you do want to (and realistically this is your only option), then print off the Ashton manual, which is the go to benzo tapering resource, and take it to your doctor, with your husband. Tell him you have been addicted to benzodiazapene and made mistakes, and want to taper off so that you can avoid the withdrawals, as they would set you back to square one, and run the risk of sending you to the streets in desperation (as has happened to a great many people). Request his help in this and request that he read the manual to help facilitate this. Ask your husband (assuming he is clean), if he would hold on to and administer the benzos, and be there to collect your scripts, so that you won't abuse them again. Propose this to your doctor - the point is to assure him, and also to ensure you stick to the plan. There is no reason you can't avoid withdrawals if you do a long taper.

If not, you will have to make do with what you have. It's not great but you can probably avoid the seizures. How many of the 25x 5mg diazepam that he gave you have you taken, and how much is an effective dose for you? Do you have tolerance? I tend to find that without tolerance, 5mg is mildly active, 10mg is half a dose - somewhat active, and 20mg is what I would consider a 'full' dose. Obviously, with tolerance this changes (and it is different for everyone), but you can usually work out what a dose is for you, and what a half dose would be.

So anyway, the point is to gradually reduce the dose. I think the worst of the withdrawal symptoms usually hit 72 hours after your last dose. Day three is when I would get brain zaps and start twitching, then have a grand mal... which is brutal, to say the least. IME it can be helpful to try and reduce your tolerance slightly, and it will also mean what you have will go further. The best way for me is to wait around 48 hours before dosing again. Nearer to 72 means your tolerance will drop even further, but it also means that you're approaching seizure territory and will experience some nasty withdrawals, so it is best avoided unless you have serious tolerance issues. Regardless, the basic method is to keep gradually reducing your dose, and aiming to keep things on a gentle plateau, rather than getting a full 'hit' from the diazepam. You would take half your usual dose, once per day, and then gradually you would reduce it to half that, then half again. For somebody who is benzo naive (i.e no tolerance) the method might be to go from 20mg, to 10mg per day for a week or two, and then 5 mg per day, then maybe 2.5mg, then none.

If things are tight by the time you get to the end, then maybe you would want to keep a final 5mg diazepam for three days after your last dose, which can kind of lessen the impact slightly but stretching things out a little bit longer.

These are just general musings and you will have to arrange a plan for yourself. There are people more experienced/knowledgable than me who can offer advice. I tapered off high dose xanax/etizolam powder last year, and with a gradual diazepam taper from the doctor I came out of it feeling better than when I started taking them, with minimal withdrawals. That said, I did have seizures when trying to reduce my tolerance with the powder, but that was generally through silly mistakes, such as using up the last of my supply and finding myself unable to get more.

I hope things work out well for you! :)

OP this is very solid advice so I would read carefully. I hate to say it but you're going to go through some serious withdrawals however avoiding a seizure is the most important thing.

If you start to feel any of the signs below I'd suggest calling an ambulance ASAP,

Odd feelings, often indescribable
Unusual smells, tastes, or feelings
Unusual experiences – 'out-of-body' sensations; feeling detached; body looks or feels different; situations or people look unexpectedly familiar or strange
Feeling spacey, 'fuzzy', or confused
Periods of forgetfulness or memory lapses
Daydreaming episodes
Jerking movements of an arm, leg, or body
Falling
Tingling, numbness or feelings of electricity in part of the body
Headaches
Unexplained confusion, sleepiness, weakness
Losing control of urine or stool unexpectedly

Hey Batgirl, I think we all would appreciate an update on how you're doing with your struggle, but only when you get a moment and only if you feel up to it. I too was on drugs from a very young age. Due to complications at birth, I required about 2 dozen invasive surgeries from ages 3 months to 24. As you might imagine, I was taking in Opioid painkillers both during the surgical process, like for anesthesia and PACU analgesia, but I had to use Opioids still when I was brought home, otherwise it was difficult or impossible for me to get fed or to sleep.

I can only imagine the result of exposing a developing mind to powerful drugs. I'm sure that it does something to the, as you've said, "wiring" of our brains, but to what extent, who knows. Not only that, one must consider the purely psychological ramifications of introducing young children to these drugs. I understand that yours were given illicitly by your parents and mine by doctors, but the end result is the same. I remember when I was about ~8 and one of the movies my brother and I used to watch all the time was "3 Amigos". I'd probably seen it a dozen times or more, but my parents brought it to the hospital for me to watch after surgery.

I remember laughing so hard and just being so content to be their watching the 3 Amigos. For months and years afterward, I looked back on that memory of watching that movie with such feelings of joy and I never fully understood why. I just knew that in that moment, I was totally content, warm and happy. I wanted to be back in "that state:, but at that point in time, I really had no idea why I even felt so good.