• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help please - Poppyseed tea contaminated?!?!

AztoCali

Greenlighter
Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I am not in the right place. I have been making poppyseed tea now for almost a year and last week made some and got a weird allergic reaction I have never gotten before. My face and ears were flushing and on fire for 3 hours it was horrible. I ordered some more UK (not same source) but it won’t be here until tomorrow so I’ve been suffering HARDCORE and have to keep my shit together at an office job. I am about to break and try more but I am scared all the seeds are contaminated. Does anyone have any experience or answers for me I would surely appreciate it. And if it is contaminated could I boil it down? For now I have Kratom but it barely barley helps which is crazy because I got off of high dose Suboxone with Kratom alone and no wds. This shit SUCKS. Thanks in advance!!!

Poppy seed tea can cause what seems like an allergic reaction due to the high doses of codeine and other alkaloids, or you could just be allergic to something in poppies. If you are actually allergic then no amount of washing will help. Try lower doses than you did last time.

I appreciate your reply!! I’ve been getting same source for a year and this has never happened before and I’ve been drinking for a year. I may just have a batch with higher codeine? The reaction was like nothing I’ve ever had happen before just extremely burning ears and face. Hopefully I can still use some it’s 25 lbs I’d hate to throw away

I’ve been suffering HARDCORE and have to keep my shit together at an office job.
Firstly, what do you mean you’ve been “suffering HARDCORE?” Why do you make/drink poppyseed tea? Forgive me if this seems insensitive, but couldn’t you seek a doctor to prescribe you medication for treatment of whatever ails you?

Secondly, you might have developed an allergy for certain opioid substances. This actually does happen, and you should perhaps consult with a doctor and/or immunologist before trying poppyseed tea again. This is due to the increased chance you have of going into anaphylactic shock and suffocating on account of a swollen shut windpipe. If you really think you had an allergic reaction, you should at the very least have an epi pen on hand… something to reverse potential anaphylaxis, ya know?

Firstly, what do you mean you’ve been “suffering HARDCORE?” Why do you make/drink poppyseed tea? Forgive me if this seems insensitive, but couldn’t you seek a doctor to prescribe you medication for treatment of whatever ails you?

Secondly, you might have developed an allergy for certain opioid substances. This actually does happen, and you should perhaps consult with a doctor and/or immunologist before trying poppyseed tea again. This is due to the increased chance you have of going into anaphylactic shock and suffocating on account of a swollen shut windpipe. If you really think you had an allergic reaction, you should at the very least have an epi pen on hand… something to reverse potential anaphylaxis, ya know?
Poppy tea withdrawal is no joke it sounds like it but it is a VERY strong long lasting opiate and I’ve been drinking every day for a year. It doesn’t really matter why I use it, I am addicted because when I stop it’s absolute torture. I have withdrawn from almost every opiate including 140 mg a day methadone and this is up there. Kratom barley takes any of it away it’s like throwing pebbles at a brick wall and I used Kratom to get off subs with no withdrawal. I do not want to be on prescription pills EVER AGAIN and although it’s a demon poppy’s seem more natural. I am not allergic to opiates I got my UK poppy’s and this did not happen, it was a Spanish variety that gave me that reaction. I just wanted insight on what could of caused that because it’s not the opiates. It’s almost as if they are coated with oil but yeah not trying those again.

Poppy tea withdrawal is no joke it sounds like it but it is a VERY strong long lasting opiate and I’ve been drinking every day for a year.
No, it doesn't sound like a joke; I was definitely not implying that at all.

Okay, so maybe you can do a little kitchen chemistry to separate the constituent that you want from whatever is irritating your nervous system? Perhaps start with something simple like using lemon concentrate to lower the pH of the water you're using to make the tea. I have a few more ideas if you're interesting in trying them… Just LMK.
I do not want to be on prescription pills EVER AGAIN
Ever? This might be overreacting a bit. There are some very helpful pharmaceutical products out there—alongside some very dubious ones, as well—but that's no reason to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.
and although it’s a demon
That might be laying it on a bit thick…
poppy’s seem more natural.
Honestly though, this is flawed logic. Plenty of things exist in nature that are harmful AF to human health, from poison ivy to white oleander, deadly nightshade belladonna to death cap mushrooms… uncured tobacco is deadly poisonous… and wood ferments into methanol which will blind a person at ~5 mL and kill a person at around ~15 mL.

In a related note: something in those “more natural”-seeming poppies is causing you grief—all courtesy of Mother Nature… I don't know why some people think of purification as this bad thing to avoid. Makes no sense to me.