• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

!!HELP!! Pain meds not lasting long

Swallowin_Klonopin

Greenlighter
I have been prescribed Norco 5/325 recently for severe pain in my back (it feels like nerve pain to me, but we are having tests done).

I feel like they do the job well enough, as far as pain management goes (though they could be a little better in my opinion), but they only last 1.5 - 2 hours, MAX!

My question is: is this normal? I'm new to painkillers, I've never taken any at all. I'm wondering if it would be better for me to take more when the pain comes back (even though the script says to only take them every 4-6 hours) or if a stronger painkiller/dose would be in order.

I have my Dr appointment on Tuesday and I'll ask her then, but thought I'd pick your guys' minds in the meantime

Cheers!

In all honesty, those are what I'd call entry level pain meds and aren't very strong IMO. Actually it doesn't surprise me too much they don't last very long. I'm not sure if this would increase the length of pain relief, but have you ever taken some ibuprofen along with your pain meds? I've had great success augmenting mine in this way. Also, you should talk to your doctor about your experience with the medicine he/she prescribed. That's just good patient/doctor communication. Good luck!

In all honesty, those are what I'd call entry level pain meds and aren't very strong IMO. Actually it doesn't surprise me too much they don't last very long. I'm not sure if this would increase the length of pain relief, but have you ever taken some ibuprofen along with your pain meds? I've had great success augmenting mine in this way. Also, you should talk to your doctor about your experience with the medicine he/she prescribed. That's just good patient/doctor communication. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I'd never heard of adding ibuprofen to help pain relief. I may give that a try if it's especially bad tonight again.

I fully intend to talk with my Dr about this on Tuesday when I have my follow up appointment with her, I just wanted to pick your guys' brains in the meantime.

Anyone else out there have any insight?
Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I'd never heard of adding ibuprofen to help pain relief. I may give that a try if it's especially bad tonight again.

I fully intend to talk with my Dr about this on Tuesday when I have my follow up appointment with her, I just wanted to pick your guys' brains in the meantime.

Anyone else out there have any insight?
Cheers!

My dentist gave me ibuprofen in addition to percocet demi after a dental surgery. It helped, the percocets are not acting long. I don't think it can be done longterm, but for a few days my dentist told me it was ok. Talk with your doctor :)

Hydrocodone. The opiate in norcos. Has a half-life of roughly 4 hours.

It’s a very short acting pain med.

And not everyone has the same speed of metabolism. You could be eliminating it out of your system quicker than the average person.

Best used when you really need it. Ie: before doing something strenuous.

Opiates create tolerance over time when used too much. Meaning you’ll slowly need more to get the same results as the first time you used them.

You sound keen keen to talk this over with your doc. So try that.

Best to take it easy until you get test results back and have a better idea of how you’ll be treating your pain long term.

I'd like to follow up (for anyone who cares).

Turns out I have arthritis in my back (I'm only 27) and a B-12 deficiency that the Dr thinks it's causing the nerves around (and connected to) my arthritis to be sensitive and cause Dysesthesia (pain signals sent to my brain when I'm touched even slightly (clothing)).. We put be on B-12 supplements and we'll have an MRI done to see if a pinched nerve or something was what caused it to "flare up" all of the sudden.

I told my Dr about how severe my pain still was especially while trying to sleep and while we are trying to figure out exactly what it is she's going to treat the pain, so she gave me the following:

- (30) Norco 7.5/325 (I originally had 5mg)
- (60) Ibuprofen 800mg
- (60) Gabapentin 300mg capsules

I'll visit her again in a week for a follow-up. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the visit went and I'm liking this new Norco concoction she gave me. My back is feeling much better.

Cheers!

Glad to hear your doctor is taking steps to help you out. One quick note on ibuprofen, if she prescribed it and depending on your co-pay, it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a big bottle from Costco for.next to nothing and just take 4 of those 200mg pills and that should fit the bill. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction, Best of Luck!

Glad to hear your doctor is taking steps to help you out. One quick note on ibuprofen, if she prescribed it and depending on your co-pay, it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a big bottle from Costco for.next to nothing and just take 4 of those 200mg pills and that should fit the bill. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction, Best of Luck!
Good looking out! Luckily that big ol bottle of ibuprofen only cost me $2.16 :)

Here's to a pain free day!