Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Help!?!?! Narcan/Naloxon in England

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
Hi

I was wondering if and where any where in the North-East of England gives out Naloxone (Brand name Narcan) to help with opioid overdoses?

I know they give it out in Scotland ( http://www.naloxone.org.uk/index.php/naloxoneseperator/naloxoneinformation/where-to-get-naloxone-scotland-only)
and apparently Wales. I've heard that some exchange's in England do give it out. Apparently (This is the closest to me I've heard.) that some NI's in Durham give it out, but I'm not sure if this is true?

Would I be best off trying my doc'?

I was wondering if (Mod's: I know needle and syringe sources are allowed so thought maybe this might, if not delete this part of the post.) maybe we could set up a not for profit (Postage, maybe donation for time too) naloxone exchange programme, where those who can get it (Scot's I imagine mostly.) send it to other user's for emergency use?

Thanks.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: I am going to allow this discussion to continue for now, as it is clearly Harm Reduction-based.

In return, respondents are respectfully requested to remain within the bounds of both the topic under discussion and the law of the land.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: I am going to allow this discussion to continue for now, as it is clearly Harm Reduction-based.

In return, respondents are respectfully requested to remain within the bounds of both the topic under discussion and the law of the land.

Thank you Julie.

I havnt heard of any national policy to provide opiate users and their fams with Naloxone nasal sprays, but there was some talk about giving it to newly released prisoners, a population who are, for obvious reasons, at more risk of overdosing on opiates than anyone else. Some individual drug service providers may hand them out (mine doesnt and doesnt have any plans to).

No harm then in asking your gp who would be able to supply the relevant formulation for emergencies (always nasal sprays -no one will prescribe the IV preperation used by health professionals) provided its listed and available under the British National Formulary - but of course if you state that you need it in case of accidental od your doctor would then have to ask why you are not already in drug treatment, as referrals to such services have generally been first line hr in cases of IV opiate use.

I have my own dose of Naloxone, and have been trained in its administration. I got it by attending a course run by my local drugs project.

They also do courses in homeless hostels, soup kitchens, night shelters etc. The Salvation Army run courses regularly in Bristol. It's a simple as signing up for a place on the course.

CHERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

soz I have nothing to contribute but seeing you made me go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have my own dose of Naloxone, and have been trained in its administration. I got it by attending a course run by my local drugs project.

They also do courses in homeless hostels, soup kitchens, night shelters etc. The Salvation Army run courses regularly in Bristol. It's a simple as signing up for a place on the course.

Hi Cherry - good to see you posting again - i hope ur well and have managed to have a few months free fromm any drama.

What sort of Naloxone preparation do yo have? Is it a nasal spray? I havent heard of any other take home preparations. Surely they cant have left you with a IV solutiion in ur fridge, pulp - fiction stylee?

I know that my local DSP provides Naloxone as my keyworker mentioned it to me the last time I saw her.
This is in Cambridgeshire but I am not sure if they provide it nationwide or not.

What sort of Naloxone preparation do yo have? Is it a nasal spray? I havent heard of any other take home preparations. Surely they cant have left you with a IV solutiion in ur fridge, pulp - fiction stylee?

Prefilled syringes or amps of 400mcg/ml and 1mg/ml are what I've seen supplied in the UK.

Prefilled syringes or amps of 400mcg/ml and 1mg/ml are what I've seen supplied in the UK.

Ive seen these in health care settings (and have been the recipient of one) but surely they dont expect members offf the public to use them, even the most experienced IV herron user would not be at all suitable or qualified to administer this preperation - never mind the average family member / friend.

Ive seen these in health care settings (and have been the recipient of one) but surely they dont expect members offf the public to use them, even the most experienced IV herron user would not be at all suitable or qualified to administer this preperation - never mind the average family member / friend.

I dunno, I think you underestimate the ability of an IV user to give an IM shot. It's not like you are given the naloxone and sent on your way - you are shown how to use it.

IM is utterly unsuitable for this drug. Its a slow acting ROA and alot of patients may have succumbed to the overdose before the naloxone gets a chance to do its job. Only IV or IN (and rectal i suppose) will produce the near instantaneous effect an overdose patient needs from this drug. 15 minutes of overdose will likely cause serious hypoxia which can leave the user brain damaged at the very least.

Im still waiting for a practical answer for this...

My god is that Gaz_hmmm from way, way back in the day? Havn't seen you around for a while! :)

My gut feeling is that the prohibitionists want for drug use to be as dangerous as possible, in the belief that a few dead druggies are an acceptable price to pay if they discourage someone else from turning to drugs. As well they might, even; until said someone else becomes desperate enough, and feels they have little enough to lose, to turn to drugs anyway. Coercion by fear only works until people have something else to be even more afraid of.