• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help I'm going thru withdrawals from oxys but still have oxycontins

Because of all that I've read about it. I have copd and everywhere I read, it said not to take them I'd you have that. Dr knows and isn't too concerned...am I wrong about that?? Am prescribed 5 20mg ir and 2 20mg er. I've never taken them like that tho..Because of that I often run out early but only a couple of days...never like this!!

I miss BDD. OP, don't try to kite your pain meds. Call your doctor and tell them something is not working. If you have cancer, they will adjust your medicine if you explain how your pain hits you. I had cancer. Unless you have a horrible track record, they take care of you.

Now the flip side to op's question. First off, if I was withdrawaling off an opiate that is different but similar, I would use rudamentry math and figure out the conversion and taper off nice and easy. (that is not that complicated if you took opiates more than a few times. If I wasn't abusing my medicine, or simply got mixed up, or whatever just call your doctor and explain the situation. Otherwise there is a hint of bs in this thread. Enjoy the thread Bluelighters.

By the way, Bluelight is not a shlong sizing contest, but Harm Reduction forum.

Last edited:
Wow that was kinda mean..not bsing any one. Just trying not to od while going thru withdraw. Yes i fucked up using my meds too soon. No not playing cancer sympathy card, just saying why I'm on these fucking meds in the first place. Yes I have a bad "track record" over the last 7 yrs so calling isn't an option. Knowing there's a lot if experience on here I thought I'd reach out. Have gotten great suggestions! So please don't accuse these folks of comparing dick sizes with their posts..gotta admit, had to look that one up..haha funny...btw it's spelled schlong..So I don't apologize for not trying to od and kill myself getting thru withdraws with these oxycontins

Fair. See, I am in a equally inportant forum called Other Drugs. I see posts like this that are veiled attempts at something that violates Bluelight rules. After moderating there for a while, you occasionally might come down complete overkill.

Here is a place to start. Tell other people about your illness. It helps some of us mods not call bullshit on your illness. As a ex cancer patient, there are certain things that will extra call bullshit on your claim.

I will admit to being on a different setting. As long as your honest, I apologize. Welcome to Bluelight

Last edited:
Thanks I accept your apology...not sure what you meant about the "extra call bullshit on your claim". Congrats on being an ex cancer patient! You are blessed! Also I haven't intentionally tried to be other than honest. I'm scared if these drugs and the potential of death. I really messed up this month and have never been here before with the length of time to next refill so..yeah I'm scared..that's all

No OP what I'm saying is, unless I've got this ass-backwards, it doesn't make any sense that you're so worried about respiratory depression that you won't take the 20mg ER, when at the moment you're taking 20mg instant release every couple of hours.

The extra bullshit part is when an ex cancer patient, has someone claim cancer. There are tings and experience's that I could ask a former cancer patient.!Your cool. Simply remember that this is a harm reduction site. Your posts are seen by many people. Post correctly. I feel for you.

Did you just call me opey??? Yes you do have it backwards...sounds like you're trying to "catch" me in something I've said. I've said it all along...I RAN OUT OF INSTANT RELEASE WITHIN 10 DAYS OF GETTING A MONTHS WORTH. I FUCKED UP. Now all I have is WE to keep new out of withdrawals.

Thanks SPEEDKING...I will..And thanks for getting it. No fun having it, dealing with it and having to take this shit along with chemo...sick and tired of being sick and tired...7 years is a long time...

hotgirls, meant to say, now all I have is ER to keep me out of withdrawals...I'm "sure" you got it tho, since you're such a good detective..lol

There's no need to yell, I'm not trying to catch you out. I'm saying you're worried for no reason. The risk of resp. depression from the extended release is much LESS than the risk from the same dose instant release

Sorry for yelling then, but you called me opey (op)? Anyway, just doesn't make sense to me..why so much literature about it? I'm 60 with copd..So if I took 40mgs of oxycontin I'd be ok and wouldn't have to dose every 5-7 hours by dissolving them to keep the withdrawals away? Do you know how they actually work? I mean, how much you get per hour, etc? Not mathematically inclined AT ALL...lol. The one guy takes 80 for the day...But I think that's too much for me...he didn't tell me to take that much btw

OP means original poster.

You should be fine taking the 20mg twice a day. They're marketed as lasting for 12 hours but studies have shown it's a bit less than that and they are generally a bit 'front loaded' in terms of the release rate so the first couple of hours will feel stronger than the last couple. It's going to vary depending on a lot of factors but it will provide pain relief, it will keep the withdrawals at bay and it shouldn't mess with your COPD if you've been fine with the instant release. Hope this helps.

OMG, LMAO! SOOOO embarrassed! Please forgive me...Just wanna fade into the background now...Sorry...thought why the hell is he calling me that..Please forgive me..ok, Wil try that just took a 15mg (yes I have a bottle of 15s and 20s) I will wait 5 hours before I do. Last night I took one 20 while by mouth w/o dissolving and couldn't tell a difference. Thanks to you and everyone who's shared their experience! And please stop laughing at me for the op thing! :)

Dont be worried about respiratory depression. I only say this because if you have been taking instant release oxycodone, extended release is not going cause any more respiratory depression at the same dose (if anything, it would cause less, since less of it is in your bloodstream at a time). Just take the oxycontin at whatever smallest dose gets rid of your withdrawals.

Gotcha..have always thought the opposite! Thank you again HeadHigh and thanks for accepting me..Just can't figure out how to send a message..

Ok--to your original issue. Oxycodone is the active ingredient in OxyContin. OxyContin is simply an ER form,which will release about half instantly then the other half over then next 8-12 hours.

So...if you normally take 20 mg IR, you need more than 20 mg ER for similar effects. If you take 20 IR, taking between 30-40 ER (as directed) should keep you out of withdrawal.

Now, you went through 160 20mg oxy IR. That's about 3200 mg. You said you used them up in a little over a week. Guessing that to be about 10 days, that would mean you used about 320 mg/day. Even taken at 4 intervals that would mean you were dosing about 80 mg per dose. So---20 mg ER just isn't going to hold you as about 10 mg is released right away and the other 10 over the next 8-12 hours

Of course, you don't *want* to be dosing that high. I'm just illustrating why 20mg ER right now isn't enough. You may need to go higher for a few days then take less. It all depends on what you have left and how much time til your next appointment

With the time you've been on such drugs, this shouldn't be new to you.

And I'm not being mean, we all like a rush now and then, but that can't be your priority to the point your script is gone so quickly. Get on the ERs as prescribed next month. If you don't need the IR for breakthrough pain, save up a few and have fun with some IRs when you're close to your new script. ERs can give that rush too, but like I said you don't get 20 mg right away from a 20 ER

You're really not in a bad position. You've got the ER med which is better than IR for withdrawal

Any updates becca? Did you find a happy medium dose to keep you from withdrawals?