Help--I am stupid

whatamigoingtodo

Greenlighter
Somebody help please. I'm new here. I am an alcoholic, and have been drinking heavily for a week, after being sober for a few years. I was scared to get back into drinking, and I went to my dr. yesterday, who prescribed me valium. I was honest with him and told him I drink about 13-15 beers a day. He told me I could take the valium and taper off the beer slowly, having 9-10 a day to start. I took a very small dose of valium this afternoon, 2.5mg, and shortly afterward felt I was having difficulty breathing. It has been coming and going. I have been having terrible anxiety, and have continued to drink slowly to avoid withdrawals, but now I am afraid to go to sleep because I am worried about my breathing. What am I supposed to do. My throat also feels tight and fuzzy, and I am freaking out. I have had ten beers today. I was just in the ER last week. I have a bad alcoholic past. I have had DT's a few times, and many more times of miserable and terrifying withdrawals. Somebody help me, please.

It was around 1pm when I took the valium, I had two beers before and two after, and have had 6, very slowly since.

I have hydroxizine, too, and think it might calm me, but I am afraid to take it with breathing difficulties. I

Last edited:
It?s fine. Ten beers even tho it sounds like a lot isn?t that much compared to my roommate who drunk 16 Long Island ice teas.

The Valium maybe making your breathing shallow but it?s hard to make a decision about that.

Just take the Valium and try to resist drinking. I know easier said. But over time the Valium will ease that anxiety.

I know the horrors of detox. I had to cold turkey 3 mg of klonopin and I would rather be set on fire than go thru that again.

The Valium will make sure you don?t have a seizure but you have to drop the booze. It?s not safe to mix the two together .

Do you have any outlet on meetings you can go to to live soberly? Please consider those. I know your conscience is killing you.

I have to say that I am pretty shocked that a doctor would prescribe another addictive substance to someone that is in a relapse. You state that you are an alcoholic that has been sober for years--does your doctor know that? Was the valium script intended to be short-term?

Do you know what precipitated your return to drinking? Was it a particular stress?

Thanks everyone. I haven't taken anymore Valium since my OP. I considered an allergic reaction, but I have taken Ativan with no troubles at all, so I don't know. I have decided I am going to taper off the alcohol, and when I stop, I will give the Valium another try. I know Valium seems kind of extreme, but I have multiple health problems, and was a binge drinker who was forced to quit cold turkey one too many times. Not only do I experience withdrawal very quickly, but I have had DT's multiple times. I'm not talking about the shakes, either. And yes, I am on a serious guilt-trip for my actions. I know only one way to fix it. Going to detox is not an option. Taper it is.

Many stressors have led up to me drinking again, including divorce. And yes, the script is for short-term, but I won't take it with alcohol anymore. My DR. actually told me I could, if that isn't effing bizzare. Hard to believe, but true.

Last edited:
That seems very odd generally speaking you should never mix alcohol with benzodiazepines. You shouldn't have to taper the alcohol if you have Ativan and valium. In my experience and from what I understand about alcohol detox you can safely quit drinking as long as you replace the alcohol with benzos. Take them for a few days and then taper off over the course of a few days. In most detox places I have been to they would give you librium and then taper you off. Usually the detox process with alcohol only takes about one week. No rehab or detox would allow you to taper off of alcohol, although I guess it is certainly achievable if that is what you want to do.

Thanks CosmicG. I know a detox won't let me taper, and would probably be most suitable for me, but I don't have the option of detox anyway, so I am beginning my taper today.

Good luck man! I think a very slow taper is the best way to go. Be good to yourself. Slow and easy.

Sorry to hear about your divorce and life problems. They can be very stressful.
Let go of the guilt.

God Bless

Do you have any access to therapy? It seems that would be a good source of support for you considering the serious life changes you are going through. If alcohol has been a source of emotional comfort it will be hard to give it up in a time of emotional hardship without finding alternate sources of comfort.