• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Help! Eating cannabis to treat cancer - is heating necessary?

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Help! Eating cannabis to treat cancer - metabolized without heating?

I have a very important question to ask for my mother, who has stage 3 cancer that has metastasized to essentially her whole body, including her lungs.

She is taking cannabis as a medicine alongside a traditional treatment plan.

Background:She has no wish to get high, so she has been using cannabis that is high in CBD and low in THC, but I recently showed her some evidence that THC is also potentially useful in treating cancer, so she plans on switching or mixing her cannabis.

Main problem: She has been using a vaporizer to take her cannabis, but even the vapor makes her cough, and she cannot take a second hit due to the feeling in her lungs.

My solution: Boil her cannabis in almond/ hemp milk (she cannot take cow's milk or soy) and drink the tea.

However, she wanted less fuss, and was worried about the taste, and came up with a simpler solution: eat the dried herb directly.

I warned her that it may not work if she does that, as I have had experiences with eating cannabis that did work, resulting in an intoxicated state for 6 or 7 hours, and other experiences in which it did not work at all despite the presence of fats in my stomach when I ate the herb.

(To be clear, I am talking about simply eating the herb without heating it, because it is simple and easy. Some people claim that this does not "work" (= get you high), but I can say with certainty that it has worked for me in the past, when I followed a large meal with the cannabis, but other times it did not work, despite having fats in my stomach. I do not want to discuss whether it will work to get high here.)

She responded by saying that, even if it does not work psychoactively, the right chemicals are all still there, and then she can avoid getting high will still getting her medicine. A perfect solution?

I am worried that, if she eats her cannabis and does not feel affected by it, she won't metabolize the right chemicals, and therefore that they won't do her any good.

Am I correct?

Thank you for your advice, knowledge, etc. in advance.

Slim Victor

Last edited:
you need to heat her cannabis up in order for it to be orally active enough to not to waste enourmous amounts of the herb material.

You could make some cannabutter or cannamilk, recipes for which can be found all over the internet, but you are going to have to heat it up.

There isn't a whole lot to gain from eating raw herb, although some say juicing the raw herb is really good for you. My grandfather was a cancer patient who used cannabis to treat himself, and he was told to make a traditional edible if he wanted to get the most medicinal effects out of it.

Last edited:
Salutations

...for my mother, who has stage 3 cancer that has metastasized to essentially her whole body, including her lungs.

Two evenings ago the local TV news showed us this report below:

A patient explains during her interview that she needs 2 capsules of cannabis oil each day and the new mamoth reform bill will cause her even more worries while her doctor appears to be particularily satisfied with her medecine.

Sorry, that's no direct answer to your question but i thought at least it won't do harm..

Good luck!

:)

Yeah, you can also grind your weed and put it in a pan on the fire with a healthy dose of milk. Buds love fat. Heat it for 15-20mn without boiling it, then filter it in a kitchen filter or coffee filter then let it cool.

The milk is green-ish and you can add sugar or honey to it. Problem is titrating the dose of bud, must not be too much the first times or the high will be too overwhelming.

edit: sorry didn't see the part on soy milk. As long as soy milk contains fat, all good.

Last edited:
What causes the decarboxylation of cannabis? Heat, yes of course, but also aging. So, the drying and curing process causes a degree of decarboxylation. Now there's a fad where people consume large amounts of fresh bud - whole plants - juiced up. This allows you to take in large amounts of THC acid without getting high, but the jury is still out as to whether it is as effective as THC. My gut tells me there IS a medical benefit, but it's not going to get you high and the research hasn't been done to prove it.

Have you thought about making a sublingual spray?

Have you thought about making extremely potent oil and getting her to vape that with an oil rig? Much easier on the lungs IME.

If she's not using it to get high then heating of the herb isn't really necessary. Have you considered a concentrated tincture so she only needs a drop or two per dose?

You should try and make rick simpson oil.
google run "from the cure"
uk420 is a good source of info .
goodluck!

Thank you for your answers, everyone!
I appreciate it.
But I am still wondering about whether eating raw, cured buds would help her cancer or not.
Maybe there is no research on this? If anyone knows of research in this direction, please let me know! PM me, if you prefer.

More answers / discussion / ideas in this thread are very welcomed.

But I am still wondering about whether eating raw, cured buds would help her cancer or not.

Yes it would, but it would be such a waste of product that no one would do it. Even juicing raw cannabis is such a waste, I've never seen more than a handful of people who continue to do so for longer than a couple of months (you'd pretty much need a constant supply to keep it up long term)

sorry to hear about this, slimvictor :(

I am worried that, if she eats her cannabis and does not feel affected by it, she won't metabolize the right chemicals, and therefore that they won't do her any good.

Although THC does work topically (i.e. without needing to be metabolized by the liver), the active medicinal compounds are psychoactive. As a result, getting high as fuck is the prime indicator that the metabolites have successfully entered the bloodstream, from where a good dose will be delivered directly to the malignant cells.

There's a new med on the market that delivers THC and CBD (aprox. the same ratio) through a spray. It's very efficient. Type "Sativex" into your prefered search engine. Hope it can help.

The problem with Sativex is the price. I'm not allowed to mention prices but look it up, it's ridiculously expensive when it's basically a whole plant extract rather than simply containing equal quantities of CBD and THC only as is commonly believed, so you get the whole gammut of cannabinoids in there, not to mention terpenes and other chemicals. There are breeders like the CBD crew actually testing their strains that have a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio that are great for making oils or Sativex type strains. Their skunk haze is particularly good for this purpose according to the grow reports that have been done since it was released. If you can't grow or don't want to, dispensaries are a more viable option than Sativex IMO.

Thank you again, everyone, for your helpful comments.
I understand now that my mom has to get high to get the medical benefits of THC.
I will explain to her that she will, fairly soon, get pretty used to the high, and be able to function quite will while high.
After all, she smoked weed in the 1960's, so she is at least not totally a newbie.
Sativex sounds too expensive, though convenient.
Not sure if THC:CBD ration *should* be 1:1 for ideal medicine for breast cancer; it seems that we really don't know too much about it and are still just working through likely possibilities. She has been using a strain with almost no THC, but I will see if I can mix it with a strain with some THC in olive oil, maybe. Just to make sure that she gets both.

Thank you all again! <3

Victor

If you live in a MMJ/Legal state - check out a strain called "cannatonic" - low THC but very high CBD.

Very popular for MMJ patients.

Best wishes to you and your mother.

Thank you, thujone, Capt'n and Dawglaw for your kind words, and to you and everyone else for your advice.
I have told my mother that she will have to get high to have the THC be effective, and she seems resigned to it.
I will look into various strains, including cannatonic and others that are high in CBD, but also want her to get some THC due to reports of studies that I have read.
I will show her how to make cannabis - infused milk and olive oil, and hope that she can deal with one of those.
If not, there are always the candies, but I feel that using the actual herb and processing it herself is more likely to be helpful than extracted THC and CBD without including everything else in the herb.

Thank you all again.

You should try and make rick simpson oil.
google run "from the cure"
uk420 is a good source of info .
goodluck!

My sympathies slimvictor I also have parent not doing so good, your lucky yours is open to cannabis therapy.

I've made the rick simpson's oil, it's better than eating raw herb, easier to take on a dosing schedule, uses some heat so as to decarboxylate the thc,ect.

Go to greenpassion.org or .com lot of people there who know how to use herb for healing.......

I'll second the "Rick Simpson Oil" though I hate calling it that, he didn't invent it and almost screwed it up royally.

The ONLY way to CURE cancer with cannabis is to make decarboxylated oil, preferably with high proof ethanol (like Everclear). Rick's recommendation (which actually matches the doses which have been therapeutically useful in the few peer-reviewed studies that have been released using cannabis oil)--is to consume 60 grams in 90 days. This is a lot, and it is expensive, and is somewhat debilitating until you build up a tolerance--BUT there are hundreds of people who are only alive today because of this protocol.

If you want to use cannabis as a more palliative medicine eating raw buds will have a minimal effect, as they still have the THC-Acid, which has some healing properties, but it's really wasteful, as you're not getting most of the cannabinoids. As others have said, the easiest method is probably to make an infused edible, either cannabutter or coconut oil. Either one is easy, just simmering on Low in a crock pot for ~10 hours and then straining through cheese cloth will give you pretty good product (not the best, but that's the absolute simplest method). Alternatively there are plenty of recipes to be found online for glycerine tinctures which can easily be consumed orally.