• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Help DXM psychotic break

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
Ok, the day before yesterday I had a psychotic break of dxm. It was Delsym and I was doing ok and hour into it then I saw news about the Orlando shooting. I start to get very emotional. I mean like I felt bad for those ppl even tho I did it was deeper. So I go to my room and all of a sudden it feels like I'm pulled back into my psychosis in 05. I was thinking Trump was the Anti Christ and I was like someone who has to stop him..

Every delusion it seemed like I had in 05 was coming back. Like a flashback, now mind you I have had a meth induced psychosis And it lasted seven months. I knew and I did not know I was psychotic.

So here I am today saying if you are prone to psychosis like me then please do not do this drug. It will mess your head up. I've done it in the past but I guess since my risperdal was at six and now two my mind just cannot take drugs like that anymore.

I took it once. From the effects I think I was well past the first plateau, though I knew nothing about it at the time and was under guidance from friend I trusted. Anyways, I wasn't quite right for at least a week after. Enough to where it was noticeable to others. It was pretty fun but once was enough.

I'm glad that you could recognize that it was negatively effecting you and you didn't go looking for Trump. And that it's probably best you don't take it anymore.

Thanks, the feelings still kinda linger which scare me but I'm trying to just move past it. Once when I order ethylphenidate and I did it I had a bad trip but it wasn't a psychotic break like this one.

I mean never again. There is no use for that drug for me anymore and I'm not going to get all psychotic and try to help my delusions. Nope! Ain't going to happen.

I've got plenty of Amphetamine induced psychosis over the last decade....and cant smoke weed anymore because it makes me paranoid and I get panic attacks.

I've taken psychedelics and got paranoid...not as intense as from weed though.

I even got paranoia on opioids/opiates a few times.

Got diagnosed with several things and shizophrenia being the main one.

But i never ever got paranoia or psychosis from dissociatives....have taken dxm very often....Was even addicted to it for half a year (which made me manic) and have taken doses up to 1200mg.
And have holed through a few gramms of mxe.
But no psychosis even though i'm prone to it.

It puzzles me a bit because dissociatives have been used in research to induce model psychosis.

It doesn't help that the mechanism through which dxm works is the exact mechanism in the brain responsible for scizophrenic symptoms. ^That is why they are used to model psychosis: because NMDA hypofunction is the cause of schizophrenia, and NMDA antagonists mimic all the symptoms by synthetically inducing NMDAR hypofunction.

All the way around it just sucked but I'm past it. I think it was a lingering anxiety and dissociative feeling for a day. But, never again.

OP, you may have had a brief psychotic episode related to DXM, which is not all that unusual especially in persons with your history, "psychosis" may actually be too strong a term for what you exprienced although perhaps you are the better judge having been psychotic before—the essential difference seems that your recent experience was brief, you had a degree of insight, organization and orientation to reality despite intrusive and delusional thoughts. Technicalities don't really matter, what you experienced was obviously distressing and I don't think that I need to tell you that it could have been much worse or might be next time, while they have different activities DXM and MA both can cause flat out psychosis. Are you formally diagnosed (in order to be taking the risperidone?) Combination of antidopaminergics with DXM might actually have some unpleasant or even problematic effects that are not very well known or appreciated in the general net.drugs scene.

You seem to have taken away the right thing from your experience though: you have a brain with certain predispositions and certain experiences (and, remember, each time you have a psychotic episode, particularly when relating to either using drugs or discontinuing medications, your brain does change structurally in such a way that further episodes will be worse, sort of like the phenomenon of "kindling" in seizures.) Be careful out there. NMDA and dopamine are clearly not good targets in your brain for you to be hitting, especially as you are taking medications with the literal opposite effects for therapeutic reasons. I'd advise avoiding drug use altogether, but particularly to avoid stimulants and dissociatives. Classical psychedelics are not a good idea either but the milder ones might be slightly less risky but still not a good idea. I'd also recommend against marijuana use as it has an association with psychosis that is much downplayed by it's advocates.

It doesn't help that the mechanism through which dxm works is the exact mechanism in the brain responsible for scizophrenic symptoms. ^That is why they are used to model psychosis: because NMDA hypofunction is the cause of schizophrenia, and NMDA antagonists mimic all the symptoms by synthetically inducing NMDAR hypofunction.

It actually gets even better than that, PCP, notorious for being one of the most psychotomimetic "street drugs," as well as some of the novel dissociatives, are not only NMDA antagonists but dopamine reuptake inhibitors, thus combining the two best models we have of psychosis—OP has now experienced both, having previously had an MA related psychosis. Must keep in mind though these models are not perfect, saying "NMDA hypofuntion is the cause of scz" is a bold and unsupported statement. But anyway look at the molecular structures of PCP and MPA and you'll see what I'm talking about, overlaps of the sort of "archetypes" of the dissociatives and the DRIs. But I digress. DXM is not a DRI except very mildly at low doses, it actually as a tertiary effect thru NMDA and 5HT is a mild dopamine blocker in high doses, but this clearly doesn't mitigate any risk of psychosis. Welcome to Bluelight, BTW, depending on your level of interest and education about this stuff your may want to check out our Advanced Drug Discussion forum.

NOT CLINICAL OR MEDICAL ADVICE, etc. Please be advised that as I have not evaluated you in person, or performed any other clinical assessment, nor a review of your records, overall life situation and the larger context of your illness, psychiatric and medical history, medication history, and many other factors that may impact your situation as described, nothing that I post here can or should be taken as professional or clinical advice and furthermore there is no professional relationship in place. Therefore, anything that I post here is strictly for informational purposes only and before undertaking any treatments, interventions, or changes to your current treatment, it is essential that you be in contact with your physician or other provider(s), including providing absolute and full disclosure of substance abuse and/or other sensitive issues. —SKL

SKL,

You seem very knowledgeable. I would understand if you mainly know how DXM effects the brain. But do you think it could cause chromosome damage or at least some type of bone marrow poisoning at medium drug use levels? Even after one time and without any cumulative effects?

Just curious.

I have 2 rare blood diseases that are essentially bone marrow failure diseases. Though something that can cause chromosome damage and alter the cells my marrow makes is most likely. I was exposed to a lot of industrial chemical that I think is most likely the cause. But my DXM trip was also in that time frame. Just curious if you have any insight.

I've come to accept that something I did has ruined my life. But hopefully it was me working hard and being stupid and not from a crazy night of partying. Either way, it's ultimately my fault and I accept that.

Applying the same disclaimer with an added one that this is not an area that I am very knowledgeable I would consider DXM an extremely unlikely contributor to these issues especially in the presence of exposure to industrial toxins. A brief literature search for DXM-related immunologic effects revels only this, without relevance to your case. With respect to your regrets you can rest easy on that.

Never had the desire to chug this shit. Dont think i could keep it down anyway. If there gonna make pseudo hard to get, they should do the same with this shit.

I spent a large portion of my youth tripping balls on dxm. It deffo changed me, I had an awakening. I realized I could be anybody and everybody and nobody, if i wanted. developped multiple personas . Thats the gift of dxm it can give you powers if you torture yourself enough with it. Your brain will try to adapt and mine did so just by dissociating from my identty and becoming someone else because the Pain of being mysekf (nice, caring, sensitive, shy) meant more dxm head fuck. This forced my brain to build a new "myself" so I would stop head fucking with dxm. ~1 year of abuse of2nd and 3rd plateaus and the alter ego bad guy transformation took place in thr following years.

Last edited:
Think this can happen with k? I was gunna do dxm since I heard it's similar and bought some but it got stolen so I never did it. I do k maybe twice a month but never k holing.