• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Heavy hydrocodone user trying oxycodone for the first time - what to expect?

lokidoki

Bluelighter
I've been using hydrocodone daily for a year now. I'm only using the oxy for a few days, until I can get more hydro. My daily hydro dose is 40mg. My first question is how many 10mg pills of oxy should I take to add up to the equivalent?

The second question is -- in what ways are hydro and oxy similar? Or are they not at all? All the threads talk about differences between them. I get that they're both opiates, so you'd have some common side effects. However I've taken tramadol, which was also supposed to be similar, but didn't care for it.

Is it a give in that I would like oxycodone because I love hydrocodone? Or are there significant differences? Thanks.

You will love it. Just start with one and work your way up, no need to jump right in at an "equivalency" dose.

When did one year of 40mg hydrocodone become "heavy".

Anyways, my best advice is to get ready for your opioid addiction to reach a whole new level of misery.

They're both basically the same since they are both opiates. But some people find oxycodone to be more sedating or even stimulating at times while taking it, than hydrocodone.

Be careful.

Last edited:
~40mg Hydrocodone = ~25mg Oxycodone: Not counting for cross-tolerance.

Also, hate to call you out, but 40mg Hydrocone daily is light use by all means...

^Exactly. If you can still enjoy 40mg hydrocodone, why ruin your life by taking something so much stronger that you will then feel NOTHING from hydrocodone. Anyone who can still get high off hydrocodone IMO are considered "light" users, with few exceptions.... Count yourself as lucky.

I don't know, to me anything going past 30mg were "heavy" doses. But I only intended to use the oxycodone for a few days, maybe like 4. Would my tolerance really shoot up that much? From what I understood, 7.5mg of hydro = 5mg of oxy, so I didn't think there was THAT much of a difference.

when did this become into who has the biggest dick ?

20-30mg is " high doses" compared to a prescribed 5mg

Oh and as for why, I don't think I can get hydros until maybe next week. So I'm really just using this in the meantime. Yes, the idea of having no opiates for four whole days is THAT terrible to me. I just can't do it.

But yeah, I realize that is a problem in and of itself. :/

Still picking up an oxy habit is way more expensive than the hydro habit. So to me, the hydro still wins as my DOC. That and I don't even know if I'll like the oxy.

Of course, this could go the classic addict story and I'll fall super in love with the oxy and I'll say fuck it to hydro and find a way to afford a oxy habit. I'm hoping that won't happen. I get that it probably will, but this just isn't something I have the will power to let go of just yet. Its sad, I know.

Your going to absolutely love it, also i'd take 30mg of oxy, it will be a little stronger than 40mg of hydro but generally you will probably be having a lot of fun on 30mg.

When you can still get off at 40mg hydrocodone (8 tablets of low dose 5/325, a mere 4 tablets of Norco??? And this is somehow dicksizing?), you don't have a heavy opioid addiction, and it's relevant because the OP is thinking about escalating their drug use to a drug WAY more potent and notorious than hydrocodone.

Only time a person should be switching out hydro for oxy is when hydrocodone does absolutely NOTHING for them anymore IMO. Especially since this seems to be recreational abuse, and the OP can barely tolerate the idea of a mere 4 days without HYDROCODONE? I think the only thing one can expect from adding oxycodone unnecessarily like this would be a new level of opioid addiction, and I don't know why so many are so quick to encourage the OP to make this transition with absolutely no emphasis on harm reduction.

Seriously OP, I didn't mean to highlight your addiction not being "heavy enough" or whatever, I just want you to realize just how lucky you are to still be reaping the benefits of 40mg hydrocodone, and that it's greedy and leads nowhere positive, only to ditch something that's working for you at 40mg still.

Hey all. Well I tried 30mg tonight, and I'm actually.. rather disappointed. I took 20mg initially and redosed 10mg an hour later since I wasn't feeling much. I will try 30mg all at once tomorrow maybe. I considered that perhaps they were fake, but I had enough side effects to where I don't think it was placebo. (ex opiate itch, inability to pee, drowsiness, dry mouth)

I mean don't get me wrong. I felt pleasant. But with hydrocodone, I get this "rush" on the come up thats like a burst of energy where I want to talk about everything and do a bunch of stuff, and even past the initial rush it still hits me in waves for a while longer. Didn't feel that with this, although it may be possible that I was just in a bad mood. Or maybe its that oxy is hyped so much as "the good stuff" that I set my expectations way too high. I really don't know. Nod was really strong though, and I usually don't like the hydro nod but it actually felt somewhat nice with oxy.

Interesting stuff I did notice with the oxy though is that I felt a bit more focused, although my heart was beating kind of fast and my vision was blurring on the come up (was that even supposed to happen?). Again I'm not sure if my experience could be considered typical, right as they were starting to hit I had sort of a family emergency that I had to attend to, so I couldn't really sit back and enjoy it either (plus being annoyed at certain people).

I mean its both bad news and good. Bad news is that if I don't learn to like it, I wasted a good amount of money on them. But at the same time, I still have no hydro so its better than nothing. Good news is that I don't see myself getting too "hooked" to oxy.

Oh well. Thanks for all your input.

Last edited:
After some experiments on Hydromorphone (not in IV, that's surely why i was a bit disapointed) To notice, i have used to test some fentanyl derivate one or two week before, it surely strongly upgrade my tolerance !

When i saw the title of the thread, i instantly think "normal ! you pass from a better opiod to a weaker (not a bad but weaker), like me when i tried first fenta and then wasted my hydromphone"

I think, if you have a controlled and nice buzz with Hydromorphée, stay with it ;)

Ah i forgot one important things, fuck opiates. It's fucking good as well but too good to be used in recreative form with low laps beetween each time u used it :!

Hydrocodone is said to be weaker, but they feel pretty similar to me, except that I get worse residual insomnia from oxycodone. If you're looking to get so high that you almost repeatedly nod off, then you will prefer high dose oxy I think. You'd be better off getting some methamphetamine tbh. Your bowels would definitely be better off that way.

~40mg Hydrocodone = ~25mg Oxycodone: Not counting for cross-tolerance.

Also, hate to call you out, but 40mg Hydrocone daily is light use by all means...

When you can still get off at 40mg hydrocodone (8 tablets of low dose 5/325, a mere 4 tablets of Norco??? And this is somehow dicksizing?), you don't have a heavy opioid addiction, and it's relevant because the OP is thinking about escalating their drug use to a drug WAY more potent and notorious than hydrocodone.

Only time a person should be switching out hydro for oxy is when hydrocodone does absolutely NOTHING for them anymore IMO. Especially since this seems to be recreational abuse, and the OP can barely tolerate the idea of a mere 4 days without HYDROCODONE? I think the only thing one can expect from adding oxycodone unnecessarily like this would be a new level of opioid addiction, and I don't know why so many are so quick to encourage the OP to make this transition with absolutely no emphasis on harm reduction.

Seriously OP, I didn't mean to highlight your addiction not being "heavy enough" or whatever, I just want you to realize just how lucky you are to still be reaping the benefits of 40mg hydrocodone, and that it's greedy and leads nowhere positive, only to ditch something that's working for you at 40mg still.

I was going to write a longer reply but tricomb has pretty much summed up my thoughts. - so thanks for that.

Need4speed: I never claimed to take doses much larger than 40mg myself, or that 40mg was a particularly light dose. Speaking relatively, I just said that '40mg is not heavy use' - which it isn't. So please don't claim that I'm dick-sizing - that's just completely untrue.

I was just meaning to inform OP that relatively speaking, his dose of 40mg is not really considered to be 'heavy use' so he probably shouldn't be reinforcing or telling himself that he's a heavy opiate user. Psychologically, that's a really bad thing for him to be doing to himself and will only damage his confidence, positivity and outlook on life if he ever decide to try and quit using opiates.

Just saying that on BL ~100mg Hydrocodone is generally referred to as 'heavy use' and adding some relativity to OP's use. That's all...

OP I apologise if I offended you, or you felt that I was trying to mock you. I was just trying to give you some relativity and context to your dosage.

After some experiments on Hydromorphone (not in IV, that's surely why i was a bit disapointed) To notice, i have used to test some fentanyl derivate one or two week before, it surely strongly upgrade my tolerance !

When i saw the title of the thread, i instantly think "normal ! you pass from a better opiod to a weaker (not a bad but weaker), like me when i tried first fenta and then wasted my hydromphone"

I think, if you have a controlled and nice buzz with Hydromorphée, stay with it ;)

Ah i forgot one important things, fuck opiates. It's fucking good as well but too good to be used in recreative form with low laps beetween each time u used it :!

OP is talking about Hydrocodone, not Hydromorphone.

I was going to write a longer reply but tricomb has pretty much summed up my thoughts. - so thanks for that.

Need4speed: I never claimed to take doses much larger than 40mg myself, or that 40mg was a particularly light dose. Speaking relatively, I just said that '40mg is not heavy use' - which it isn't. So please don't claim that I'm dick-sizing - that's just completely untrue.

I was just meaning to inform OP that relatively speaking, his dose of 40mg is not really considered to be 'heavy use' so he probably shouldn't be reinforcing or telling himself that he's a heavy opiate user. Psychologically, that's a really bad thing for him to be doing to himself and will only damage his confidence, positivity and outlook on life if he ever decide to try and quit using opiates.

Just saying that on BL ~100mg Hydrocodone is generally referred to as 'heavy use' and adding some relativity to OP's use. That's all...

OP I apologise if I offended you, or you felt that I was trying to mock you. I was just trying to give you some relativity and context to your dosage.

No don't worry about it. Like I said it's just heavier than I guess I imagined it being. Its less the dose and more the fact that I use it every single day (I take all the pills at the same time). Plus I know that if I escelate to 50 (which is probably inevitable), Ill really need to start doing some CWEs if I dont want trouble for my liver.

I used to pride myself on the fact that my tolerance stayed at 10-15mg for a long time even with daily use. I was amazed at people who did 30mg. Now Im just like, how the fuck did I get this high up?!? (Even though relatively speaking I could be higher up, I just feel like the slippery slope got a lot...well..more slippery.)

Just how it goes I guess.

The two are very similar, but oxy is more manic/stimulating for me than hydro. It's also a stronger analgesic with a (slightly) greater abuse potential. I was shocked how quickly physical withdrawals set in with Percocet vs. Lortab.

Never mind. Took 40mg tonight and it was orgasmic. Guess I just needed a higher dose. Rather short though. On hydro, feels like the peak lasts a bit more than an hour. With this it felt like it ended slightly under an hour. :/

no offense but 40mg of hydro isnt that much, and oxy is like 10x better than hydro, not sure what the ratio is but are you using it for PM or to get high, if your just trying to get high id start with 20mg, then work ur way up.