• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heavy coffee consumption linked to higher death risk

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Drinking more than 28 cups of coffee a week may be harmful for people younger than 55, according to a study.

The debate over coffee's health risks continues to brew. A new study, out Thursday, finds that heavy coffee consumption is associated with a higher death risk in men and women younger than 55.

In the study published online in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings, men younger than 55 who drank more than 28 cups of coffee a week (four cups a day) were 56% more likely to have died from any cause. Women in that age range had a twofold greater risk of dying than other women. The study looked at 43,727 men and women ages 20-87 from 1971 to 2002.

"From our study, it seems safe to drink one to three cups of coffee a day," says the study's second co-author Xuemei Sui. "Drinking more than four cups of coffee a day may endanger health," says Sui, assistant professor of exercise science with the Arnold School of Public Health at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. She defines a cup of coffee as 6 to 8 ounces.

The study did not find a higher death risk for adults 55 and older. Sui says there may be a bias — the research may not include unhealthy older people because they might have already died.

The reasons for the higher death risk among younger adults are not clear since experts through the years have found both health benefits and problems associated with coffee.

Sui says the caffeine in coffee can elevate heart rate as well as raise blood pressure and blood sugar levels. However, coffee is a major source of antioxidants, she says.

Sui says the study didn't find a significant association between coffee consumption and heart disease death. Further research is needed to look at any connection between coffee and cancer, she says.

Gregg Fonarow, co-chief of clinical cardiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, says, "Differences in other dietary factors, marital status and other socioeconomic factors that were not adjusted for in this study may account for some or all of these observations."

cont at
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/15/coffee-consumption-death-risk/2655855/

I don't understand why old people can handle caffeine better, wouldn't an older person's heart be more strained? I think that it's just the older peoples higher tolerance...

^ I think defining exact limits for a substance ignores the fact that all people have different body chemistry. My dad drinks at least a quart of coffee every morning and diet soda all day after that. He hardly ever drinks anything with no caffeine (like juice or milk). At 51 he is very healthy and could hold his own if we were to have a cycling race against me. And I can bike 4 miles up and down hills before I start to break a sweat. Maybe people that drink coffee are more likely to live stressful lives and that lead to the increased fatality rate. I think in the scheme of things caffeine is relatively safe. A lot of pro-drug-legalization people try to make legal drugs seem more dangerous than they are... Caffeine being a prime example.

Pro-legalization people probably do that because people looking down on them and even wanting them put in a prison cell for drug use when said people have drug habits themselves gets annoying to say the least, caffeine may be pretty safe but its an addiction so many people have and get away with without being judged for it, i'd say you're right about pro-legalization people often overstating the dangers of legal drugs but as long the double standard is there people will make a big deal out of it

I drink about 8 ounces of espresso per day. I wonder how that relates to the 4 cup threshold, since espresso grind is not simply a concentrated form of regular grind. The relative proportions of various substances must be different (caffeine is not the only bioactive substance in coffee).

Just because you are not effected now does not incline me or others to not draw a line...

Lines are drawn in average... Not individuality.

Sure you can drink as much coffee as you want.... Who really cares? It’s your bodies. I won’t debate with you there...

But, there is a downside to consuming too much of even the safest substances. Caffeine is one of them.

The limit is only a recommendation, not a law... Follow or not it is still there. For good reason.

It is meant as a guideline, not a rule to be strictly enforced.

I think people who drink very large amounts of caffeine tend to be sleep-deprived, and that's what predisposes them to dying young. And though it's a vicious cycle that goes both ways, I think the sleep deprivation is usually multifactorial, and the caffeine abuse is in response to it.

I'd consider death best kind of sleep, except I'm afraid of what dreams may come.

I think people who drink very large amounts of caffeine tend to be sleep-deprived, and that's what predisposes them to dying young. And though it's a vicious cycle that goes both ways, I think the sleep deprivation is usually multifactorial, and the caffeine abuse is in response to it.

I'm on day 2(wow! ... i know right?...) of cutting out coffee again.
Day before that I had like 3 cups or so.
Usually drink half a pot+ of coffee.

My sleep has been really crappy. Not getting 8hrs when I try, waking up during night with heart palpitations...
I also have cardiovascular problems and really poor "cardio".
So when I drink coffee(regularly), I feel weakened physically. I don't really feel any euphoria or positive well-being, unless I limit coffee to about once a week.

Trying 3 small things: no coffee/exercise+/sleep+
and hopefully I notice an improvement in my health after I string some days together.

"Heavy X consumption linked to higher death risk" where X is a substance is pretty much always true, isn't it?

^ Not with cannabis.
At least according to the research that I have seen.
Increasing the dose of cannabis does not result in higher death rate, or even higher rate of cancer or other diseases that could cause death.

^ Not with cannabis.
At least according to the research that I have seen.
Increasing the dose of cannabis does not result in higher death rate, or even higher rate of cancer or other diseases that could cause death.

here we go...

I drink about 8 ounces of espresso per day. I wonder how that relates to the 4 cup threshold, since espresso grind is not simply a concentrated form of regular grind. The relative proportions of various substances must be different (caffeine is not the only bioactive substance in coffee).

Caffeine-wise it is beyond the threshold. At 80mg per cup or espresso, it looks like a very high daily intake.
So, if the caffeine is causing the higher death risk, you are in trouble!
Better to stick to about 4-5 a day as a maximum, imo, if possible.

Weekend, ur pops kinda sounds like mine lol. Drinks a huge cup of strong black coffee everymorn, i mean to the point that i could make 3 of my normal cups, his coffee is like mud. But he doesnt drink soda, eats reallly healthy and is sure as hell in better shape than me lol and hes 60. I dont drink much coffee, used to drink a few cups a day, mildly weak coffee, like 50mg caffeine, where most cups of american drip coffee has 100mgs. My dad is probably drinking a half gram a day worth lol....not really, but its a lot.

I don't believe anything the media reports regarding coffee. One year it's the beez kneez; prevents skin cancer, etc...

Next year, it's the fucking plague FFS.