• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heat attacks with poppy tea

MikeMercury

Bluelighter
A second query regarding tapering off poppy tea. Low to medium use for 12 years
about two years ago I started getting brief hot flushes lasting a minute or so but gradually they increased and became more regular. I had no idea the cause and suspected testosterone due to prostate treatment
but I realised the likely cause was the poppy tea disrupting the hypothalamus (spelling ) in the brain.
There is virtually no info on the net that I can find as most focus is on women's problems.
But i have found mention of internal thermal problems due to opium etc.
if I am quiet and still I'm fine, when I start to exert myself, on they come and now they are debilitating.
Ive been tapering 6 months and am nearly off poppy tea yet the heat attacks still keep coming .Does anyone have any knowledge of this process ? I assume over the weeks it will revert to normality but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone experienced the same ? I wonder now if I need to seek medical treatment for this.

It's common coming off opioids. Will last until a couple weeks after you completely stop.
Clonidine works for me

I experience this coming off several drugs. Opioids, benzos, alcohol.

They typically only last for a few weeks. First week is the worst.

I naturally sweat a lot but when this happens it's a big annoyance. Tends to hit me the worst right after, or during, eating food.

Once you're completely off opioids it should resolve itself within a few weeks.

Thank you both for this most welcome info . I just got a wave of relief rather than heat.
The first positive information I've had in ages. It will also make me more determined to keep at it.
kind regards to you both

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
You'll be OK and good for you for deciding to quit. Just remember it will get better

I experience this coming off several drugs. Opioids, benzos, alcohol.

They typically only last for a few weeks. First week is the worst.

I naturally sweat a lot but when this happens it's a big annoyance. Tends to hit me the worst right after, or during, eating food.

Once you're completely off opioids it should resolve itself within a few weeks.
It's called gustatory sweating.

(The sweating and hot flash associated with eating or directly following eating)

Some people actually have it all the time.

It's called gustatory sweating.

(The sweating and hot flash associated with eating or directly following eating)

Some people actually have it all the time.
Yeah I've generally had it my whole life, but is 10x worse in withdrawal, and during withdrawal I have it randomly for no reason with no exertion

Yeah I've generally had it my whole life, but is 10x worse in withdrawal, and during withdrawal I have it randomly for no reason with no exertion
I also get it intermittently but many times it's if something contains ketchup, lots of salt, or vinegar.