• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Heart flutters scaring the shit out of me

Well my pulse naturally is about 120bpm...so not severely tachy. It's getting lower the more I work out though. And my asthma is getting better. I just got a couple sitting here. I'm gonna ask the doc...see a cardiologist...just to set my mind at ease.

not a bad plan. I ask my doc for shit and he goes "you're young and healthy stop bitchin'". It kinda pisses me off aha.

I am so glad I have found this thread, i just went to the hospital yesterday for the same problems. Only difference is I seem to have mild chest pains / cramping when this happens. And it has been constant for about 2 weeks now. It also seems to get worse when I try to relax and sleep.

But the doctors keep saying im fine. I am glad there are others who can relate to the same issue. Has anyone else found any medications to take your mind off / help it?

Well, I've had mild chest pains at times. But there are issues that could have caused that, such as my asthma, or my bad shoulder, and anxiety/PTSD. Benzos, obviously, have helped with this. Nothing else helps though. I'm pretty sure mine is just anxiety, plus tachycardia. My tachycardia is going away though, the more in shape I get, but I still get the heart flutters, so IDK.

I get mad chest pains, cramping, tension, tightness, prickling, aching, and pinching. I also smoke cigarettes however. I can totally relate to the relaxing causing more symptoms. All dem proffessionals say I'm cool.

I'm guessing this is some kind of drug, stress, anxiety related thing. Hopefully we're all okay. If not we're going out together aha.

i also have this i had if when i was young to and it seemed to be more frequent when i used stimulants ive talked to my doctor about this several times ive taken 3 ecg where they check out heart but they keep saying im all good this realy scares me some times.
Once it feelt like it just stopped for 10 sec and i couldent breathe or speak,
ive also been told that it can be fixed with physio therapy it might be chest muscles knots?

Ha. Yeah. We're all going out together. I quit smoking recently, still smoke occasionally socially. This thing has lessened in frequency since then.

I quit yesterday using the patch. Power to you my heart troubled friend.

I get those occasionally. Taking vitamins+magnesium regularly has helped make them much less common, actually. Despite having been doing more drugs lately.

It was worst around and shortly after i was abusing benzedrex inhalers, kanna, and smoking (tobacco) occationally. Took a long time to get better after that.

Get to the doc for your peace of mind and lay off the meth for awhile(if u take it) and ask him about omega-3 (fish oil) i've been taking them for 12 years and they really help with the fluttering i had back then..FWIW..good luck

I was in hospital a couple of days ago for this kind of thing. Ive always had heart flutters, but never reall thought too much of them until now.

I had just gotten home from work and had 3 cones of some pretty high quality weed, when i felt a tightening of the chest, pain in my left arm and dizzyness. I honestly thought i was having a heart attack, but being 27, thought it was too strange. I had my housemate who is a nurse check my pulse which was 170, so she called an ambulance after about 10 mins of this starting. Once the ambos got there and got me in the back of the truck, it was starting to slow down.
The nurses and doctors at the hospital didnt really think too much of it, mainly because i told them i had 2 cans of Mother during the night at work. After about 15 mins of being in the ER, i had that same feeling again, and the heart rate moniter starting beeping and carrying on. I looked up to see my heart going at 214 bpm. The doctor had me tr some physical manouvres to try and slow it down, which didnt do anything at all. So after 10 minutes of my heart over 200, the decided to give me some Adenosine to stop it. I had 2 cardiologists, about 6 doctors and a few nurses wheel me into the resus room (very scary experience that) and give me 6 units, then another 12 after the first didnt stop it. I cannot explain the feeling of Adenosine at all. Only lasts a few seconds, but veeerrrrry strange feeling.
After this stopped and my heart rate was back at about 90 for 30 mins they took me back to ER. This occurred another 5 times after the initial attack, but with my rate only getting to about 150-170, and calmed down itself after about 5 mins.
The cardiologist beleives i may have a condition called SVT. I dont know mucj about it at all, but learning each time i see the doc. He also think that 4 yrs of drinking 2 cans of Mother a night could have damaged my heart in some way so now im off for a battery af bloods and ecg's etc. Not a fun experience at all.
Definately staying away from energy drinks now tho...

I used to have palpitations bad, and had every test under the sun.

If you have a healthy heart (and I dont consider your tachydardia unhealthy), my best advice is lay off the caffiene entirely, learn to chill (listen to chill music for example), and actually try taking an antacid like prilosec for a week.

Im absolutely convinced that a segment of those ppl who get palps is because of acid reflux and the whole vagus nerve stomach-heart connection. That and anxiety.

Sorry to revive this old thread.

I've been getting heart palpitations along with flutters alot recently. After reading through this thread it seems as if that is normal. But does anyone else experience sharp pains that correspond with your heart beat when it happens? It's more like a sharp pain, then 3 seconds later another one that's less severe. then everything goes back to normal.

anyone?

I know exactly what you're talking about. I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. There's a lot of information on it here: http://www.medicinenet.com/mitral_valve_prolapse/article.htm

Anyway, I'm no doctor so obviously I'm just throwing a random suggestion out. Honestly, your symptoms could mean a variety of different things and if they are increasing in frequency, you should get yourself checked out. They might keep you overnight but it's not that big of a deal and as they say, you'd "rather be safe than sorry."

When I was diagnosed with this small heart condition, they simply ran a few tests such an EKG, blood tests, etc. and they made me wear a heart monitor for several days (back when I had this done there were tons of wires and the whole thing was really bulky but I think they've gotten a lot nicer over the years and aren't as much of a pain in the ass).

Just get yourself checked out; I'm willing to bet that it's nothing major. Lots of people experience these symptoms and lead healthy lives but you can never be too sure of what is causing it unless you see a doctor. Once you do, you can rest easy =)

Okay I always feel retarded when I respond to an old thread without looking at the date first. Ah well. My post can apply to ^ too though. As far as sharp pains go, I too have them and while they are irritating and sometimes even scary, they're not a big deal as I know what causes them (MVP as mentioned above). Like I said before though, you should probably see a doc. so you can know what's up.

even if your in a stressful situation you can always calm your breathing and maybe help the situation with a change of mind, random "not so safe" things happen to me often but I must remember i've lived through every moment that i've ever doubted my health/safety so most likely... your gonna be just fine, and worrying about it will just drain you in the long run.

I used to have palpitations bad, and had every test under the sun.

If you have a healthy heart (and I dont consider your tachydardia unhealthy), my best advice is lay off the caffiene entirely, learn to chill (listen to chill music for example), and actually try taking an antacid like prilosec for a week.

Im absolutely convinced that a segment of those ppl who get palps is because of acid reflux and the whole vagus nerve stomach-heart connection. That and anxiety.

I got really paranoid about my heart once and went to a doctor. He told me to chill and stop smoking weed :D Also gave me some of those fizzing pills (probably what you mentioned). I do feel my heart skipping sometimes still but I just don't mind because I know its fine.

Sorry to necro an old thread, but I was looking around for info myself about this since it's been happening to me quite a bit in the past year or so now.

From what I've gathered online a lot of times these things are caused by vitamin deficiencies, namely vitamin D, magnesium, and calcium.

It can also be caused by straining yourself, having a sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, etc. Even eating too much and filling your stomach with food can cause it.

Generally when I have an attack now I'll take some magnesium and chew some ginger root to help mellow me out.

Also taking daily vit D, tums (for calcium), and magnesium seem to lessen the episodes I've been getting.

Anyway hope this helps people out a bit more, I didn't really see anybody mention stuff like this so I thought I'd add my $.02.